Understanding

Blind

 

“Today we’ll just scrimmage for practice; our next game isn't going to be until next month,” Kikwang states, grabbing a basketball off the rack.

 “We’ll go shirts vs. skins.” Kikwang says, walking to the middle of the court “Let’s have Yul, Taeng, Baro and I will be skins. The rest of you will be shirts.”

Taeng runs over to the benches, taking off his shirt and carefully placing it on the bench neatly to prevent it from falling. Donghae shoves past him, grabbing his water bottle off the bench and gives a nasty look to Taeng.

Taeng shakes his head, “I don’t understand why you have to treat me so badly. You already have Tiffany.”

 Donghae snickers, “At least you get the picture.”

Taeng rolls his eyes, wanting to be the bigger person, he walks away from the annoying latter.

Yul runs up to him, “What was that about?”

 Taeng shrugs, “He’s just being a jerk. It’s whatever.”

 Yul clenches his fist, “Want me to teach him a lesson?”

 Taeng holds his arms up to stop the latter, “No. We shouldn’t stoop to his level. Come on, let’s just play.”

Yul sighs, patting his friend’s back before running with him to the court. The door swings open; Tiffany and Jessica enter the gym and see the guys practicing. Tiffany dragged Jessica here so she wouldn’t be alone while she waits for her boyfriend. She was tired of always waiting in the classroom so she decided to watch their practice from the sidelines.

“Aigoo, I can’t believe you dragged me here…” Jessica complains, groaning in annoyance.

 “It’s only for two hours…I’m tired of being lonely,” Tiffany retorts, taking the latter’s hand and dragging her to the bleachers.

The guys were too into the scrimmage they didn’t notice the girl’s presence, their eyes were only kept on the basketball.

“Oh, there’s Donghae,” Tiffany says cheerfully, seeing her boyfriend practice hard.

Jessica rolls her eyes, looking at the court and her eyes lock on Taeng. She blushes again, seeing that he had no shirt on, she bites her bottom lip.

 “Omo, there’s Taeng,” Tiffany says quietly, gazing over to her friend.

 Her eyes widen seeing Taeng half-, his well-defined muscles was something she couldn’t help but marvel at.

Jessica gazes at her friend and shoves her face, “You have a boyfriend.”

 Tiffany pushes her hand away, “I wasn’t checking Taeng out.”

Jessica rolls her eyes; “If you say so.”

 Tiffany gazes at the court and watches as Taeng jumps to make a shot. Donghae tries to block but Taeng makes the basket, Donghae gives off an angry sigh and shoves past Taeng. Taeng gazing at Donghae, shaking his head and resuming to play.

“Wow, someone does not like Taeng,” Jessica states, keeping her eyes on Taeng.

Tiffany gazes at the latter, “Maybe he’s just mad that he couldn’t block him.”

 Jessica snorts, “Yeah. That’s why.”

She keeps her eyes closely on Taeng and Donghae, seeing the way they interact. Kikwang shoots the ball, Taeng was about to rebound but Donghae pushed him forcefully causing him to fall on the ground.

“Donghae, what the heck?” Yul yells, helping his friend up.

 Tiffany intently listens on their conversation, their voices projecting throughout the auditorium.

 “Tch, serves you right,” Donghae retorts, beginning to walk away.

“What’s your problem Donghae?” Taeng says, staring at the latter.

Tiffany bites her bottom lip, not liking what she was witnessing. She didn’t like seeing her boyfriend act this way to her friend, especially Taeng. Donghae walks up closer to Taeng, the distance between them was a thin line. He murmurs something to him, Tiffany tries to catch what he said but he was too quiet for her to comprehend. Donghae pushes Taeng softly before turning around and running towards the other side of the hoop.

Jessica frowns, “Donghae’s a jerk.”

 Tiffany looks down, “He’s probably jealous Taeng’s stealing the spotlight.”

 “Woah,” Jessica cuts in “Don’t blame Taeng, he’s trying to be nice to your boyfriend but Donghae’s giving him nothing but crap. Besides Donghae was never good anyway.”

 Tiffany flinches up, “T-that’s not true.”

 Jessica rolls her eyes, looking away from her friend to end the conversation.

 “Oh, what are you guys doing here?”

 Tiffany looks up hearing a voice; she turns her head to Jessica and sees Taeng looking at them.

 “Tiffany dragged me here because she didn’t want to be alone while she waits for Donghae,” Jessica replies, staring at Taeng.

 Taeng forces a smile, “Oh that’s cool. Have you been here the whole time?”

Jessica nods, “Yeah. We’ve been sitting here.”

Taeng slowly shakes his head; “I see” He gazes at Tiffany “Hello Fany-ah.”

Tiffany looks at him, “Hey Tae…” She croaks.

She couldn’t bear to look at him, after witnessing the scene between him and Donghae she was awkward seeing that Taeng didn’t bring up the argument.  Taeng wipes his face with his towel, his body drenching with sweat, and his hair looked as if he just took a shower.

 “I’m sorry, I’m all gross.” Taeng says, chuckling.

Jessica laughs, “Yeah you are gross. Is practice over?”

Taeng wraps his towel around his neck, “Yeah. Everyone went to shower, I saw you guys when I came over to grab my shirt.”

Jessica bites her bottom lip seeing Taeng half- and so close to her, his body glistening from the sweat. Tiffany steals a couple glances too, admiring her friend’s body.

“Hey baby.”

 Tiffany turns her head and sees Donghae taking a seat next to her.

He kisses her cheek, “Have you been here the whole time?”

Tiffany nods, “Yeah I came to watch your practice.”

 Donghae smiles, “That’s great.”

Taeng sighs, getting up from his seat and takes a stretch. Tiffany averts her attention to Taeng, seeing the awkward look on his face.

Taeng turns to Jessica, “You want to take a walk?”

 Tiffany gazes over at Jessica, a sudden feeling rush through her gut.

 Are they going alone? Just the two of them?

 Jessica happily nods, “Sure,” The latter looks at Tiffany “I can go now right?”

 Tiffany was taken aback, the feelings waves all over her body as she slowly nods.

“I just have to shower, do you mind waiting for me?” Taeng asks, dorkily smiling.

 Jessica nods, getting up from her seat and follows Taeng down the steps of the bleachers.

“Bye guys,” Taeng says placidly, leading Jessica out of the gym.

Tiffany sighs, seeing the two go, her eyes kept on the door as they leave.

“You ready to go?” Her boyfriend asks, feeling a bit annoyed she didn’t take the time to acknowledge him. Tiffany nods; he grabs her hand and leads her down the stairs.

 “I just have to get my bag from the locker room, I’ll be back,” Donghae says placidly, entering the boy’s locker room.

Tiffany pivots and spots Jessica on her phone, she walks over to her.

 “Hello again.” Tiffany jokes, poking the latter.

 Jessica looks up at her and smiles, “Hello.”

 Taeng exits the locker room; spotting the two he approaches them while slinging his bag over his shoulder.

 “Hey guys,” Taeng greets, he looks at Jessica “Ready to go?”

Jessica nods, getting up and stretching her arms.

 “Where are you guys going?” Tiffany asks curiously, hiding the weird feeling that’s growing in her body.

“We’re just going to take a walk. I’m going to drop Jessica home too,” Taeng replies calmly, rubbing the back of his head.

Tiffany tries to smile, “Oh that’s cool. Have fun.”

“We will,” Taeng says smiling, “We’ll see you later Fany-ah.”

 Tiffany waves awkwardly, watching the two exit out the door together. She bites her bottom lip, feeling a pang strike her heart in a painful manner.

What’s gotten over me?

She thinks to herself, placing her hand over her forehead. Donghae exits the locker room and walks over to his girlfriend.

“Ready?” He asks, taking her hand.

“Yeah,” Tiffany replies, feeling lost.

The thoughts of Taeng and Jessica taking over her mind.

 

“So I saw what happened between you and Donghae.” Jessica chimes as they walk to the ledges.

Taeng chuckles bitterly, “Did you?”

Jessica plops down on the ledge next to him, “I’m surprised you didn’t punch him.”

 Taeng laughs, “I’m not a mean person.”

 “I know but still he doesn’t deserve to treat you that way. Does he know you like her?” She asks curiously.

 Taeng nods, “Yeah. It’s funny how he can see that I like his girlfriend.”

Jessica cringes, “But he still doesn’t deserve to do that to you.”

 Taeng shrugs, “It’s whatever.”

Taeng stares at the blue water, the cool wind calming his body that was boiling with rage. He didn’t like Donghae treating him that way, he didn’t deserve it, and he wasn’t interfering with Tiffany and Donghae’s relationship to begin with.

Jessica sighs, looking at the orange tinted sky “What did he say to you?”

Taeng gazes at her, “What do you mean?”

“Well I saw when Donghae pushed you; he went up close to your face and said something. I couldn’t interpret it,” She says quietly, drawing circles with her finger on the ledge.

 [Flashback]

“What’s your problem Donghae?”

 “Are you mad that I have Tiffany? You can’t take her from me now. She only wants me. She will never like you.”

 [End Flashback]

 Taeng shakes his head, disgusted by Donghae’s words that replayed in his mind.

“He just called me mean words,” Taeng says, lying through his teeth.

 Jessica rolls her eyes, “He needs to grow up.”

Taeng laughs, “At least someone agrees with me.”

Jessica lays her head on Taeng’s shoulder, closing the gap that was between their bodies. Taeng’s heart skips a beat; the same feeling grows back and courses through his body.

Jessica…I don’t know what to say about you.

Taeng remains quiet; enjoying the latter’s warm presence next to him.

“Taeng…” Jessica says softly.

 “Hm?” He replies, staring ahead.

Jessica plays with her fingers, “Tiffany’s lucky to be liked by a guy like you…”

 Taeng’s eyes widen, his eyes shift to Jessica, seeing her blonde hair covering her face. His heart beats faster; he could feel it through his ears.

“T-thank you.” He replies softly, his guard completely down.

 Jessica remains quiet, her head still on Taeng’s shoulder as she watches the waters. Taeng grows red, flustered and unsure of what to feel at the moment.

 I like you Jessica…

Taeng takes a deep breath, controlling himself before gazing at Jessica.

“Jessica…” He says softly.

“Yes?” She replies, slowly lifting her head from his shoulder.

 “Can I confess something?” He asks, looking at her affectionately.

“Of course,” She says assuring him.

Taeng takes her hand in his, “I think…I’m falling for you Jessica.”

 Jessica’s eyes widen, her heart bursts radically and uncontrollably.

 “W-what?” She says frantically.

Taeng runs his thumb over her knuckles, “I’ve enjoyed the time we hung out. I’m comfortable around you Jessica. I can be myself around you…”

 Jessica remains quiet; her emotions take control of her body. She didn’t know what to say.

 Taeng sighs, “But…I don’t know…It’s complicated”

 “What is?” She asks quietly.

 “My feelings. I don’t know if these feelings are true or it’s because Tiffany isn’t mine…”

 Jessica holds in her breath, the words the latter said hurt her a little.

“But I do have feelings for you Jessica…” Taeng reassures “I want something more than just friendship,” Taeng says quietly, squeezing her hand.

 “Taeng…” Jessica says, her heart skipping a beat.

“The thing is…” He cringes “I don’t want you to feel like a second option.”

 Jessica gazes at him; the latter’s words made her mind boggle.

 “Taeng…can I confess something?” Jessica asks softly, gazing at their locked hands.

Taeng nods, proceeding for her to talk.

“I’ve always liked you Taeng…” She starts, lightly chuckling “When I found out you liked Tiffany…I felt jealous. Jealous because she took your heart.”

Taeng stares at the latter, stunned by what he was hearing from her.

Jessica chuckles again, “I was trying to be a good friend by helping you through your problems…but it hurt me a lot trying to hide my feelings.”

“Jessica…” Taeng starts to talk but Jessica shakes her head.

 “Taeng…I can wait.”

Taeng’s eyes widen, “What?”

She takes both of his hands, “I can wait for the day when you truly have feelings for me. Right now you’re probably confused of your feelings because of Tiffany. Think about it. Listen to your heart and mind. Don’t rush yourself.”

 Taeng’s heart pangs, beating uncontrollably and banging through his ears. He stares at the latter, looking deeply into her brown eyes.

“Are…are you sure?” He asks, squeezing her hands that were in his.

Jessica confidently nods, “You’re worth waiting for. I want you to understand your feelings. Don’t pressure yourself.”

 The corner of Taeng’s lips curve into a smile, he looks happily at the latter in front of him.

“You really are special Jessica,” He says, warmly smiling.

Jessica blushes, “Thank you.”

 Taeng gets up from the ledge, “Let me take you home.”

 Jessica happily nods, getting up from the ledge and walks by Taeng’s side. They arrive in front of Jessica’s house, Taeng stares at the latter quietly as she unlocks her door.

 “Goodnight Taeng,” She says happily, smiling at him before opening the door. Taeng grabs her wrist before she heads in, Jessica flinches and looks back.

“Am I really worth the wait?” He asks quietly, still holding the latter’s wrist.

 Taeng watches the latter approach him slowly, he looks into her eyes the entire time. He watches as she closes her eyes slowly and leans toward him. A warm soft tingling feeling hits his cheek; a fuzzy feeling takes over his body. Taeng flinches back in surprise, his eyes widen as Jessica retracts back and smiles warmly.

“Good night Taengoo,” She says, bidding him goodbye and heads inside her house.

 Taeng was left speechless; he stares at the brown doors with widened eyes. He slowly raises his hand over his cheek; it was still tingling from Jessica’s lips.

 “Aigoo,” He says softly, looking down to the ground “I think I already understand my feelings.”