Complications Lead To Apologies

Blind

 

A month has passed since Tiffany and Donghae’s rough relationship and since then Tiffany decided to give Donghae another chance to make up for his rudeness. She was uncertain about it at first but she thought she should attempt to see if he would stick to his word. 

However he hasn’t, the past weeks and month pass by and he’s still constantly rude to her. His harsh words have lessened but he orders Tiffany around like a dog. Tiffany’s feelings for Donghae have already wilted away yet she couldn’t understand why she decided to stick around with him.

She’s just too nice.

Tiffany was walking with Donghae quietly, she was forced to accompany him to his errands, at first she declined but Donghae’s intimidating character made her comply.

 Donghae looks over to Tiffany, “Why are you so quiet?”

Tiffany shrugs, “Am I supposed to say something?”

Donghae glares at her, “What did I say about talking back to me?”

Tiffany flinches back hearing the cold tone in the latter’s tone, “Sorry…” She says quietly.

 Donghae grabs her wrist, dragging her in a metal works shop to search for his necessary materials.

Tiffany sighs, leaning against the glass wall of boredom as she waits for Donghae to finish his shopping. She gazes outside, looking at the busy streets filled with people doing their usual errands or leisurely spending their time shopping or eating. She leans her shoulder against the cool glass, keeping her stare on the outside world.

 Tiffany scans the sidewalk; her eyes widen seeing a familiar couple walking down the street. She keeps her eyes glued on them as she sees them feeding each other ice cream, laughing and smiling in the process. Her heart aches seeing the two, seeing how happy they were with each other, seeing the smile on his face that used to be a smile for her.

 Her heart sinks, watching at they slowly disappear from her sight, yet she couldn’t keep her eyes off the last spot they stood. She felt tears brim in her eyes, forms a lump. Tiffany slowly closes them, keeping her tears from seeping out. She leans her forehead against the glass, trying to get rid of the stubborn lump in .

I’m not happy with you Donghae. Yet why do I bother staying? I’m tired of getting hurt, getting treated like nothing. These pass months we’ve been together I’ve felt nothing like useless trash…

And then there’s you… I can’t seem to take you off my mind. You’re so caring. When you hug me the pain washes away, I feel protected. When I’m with you I feel nothing but pure happiness. Yet you’re not happy when you’re with me, you’re happy with her. Why do I feel pain for your happiness?

Tiffany swallows, trying to push the invisible lump down but she knows it’s no use. At that moment, Donghae springs up behind her and grabs her wrist.

“Let’s go,” He says sternly.

 Tiffany uses her other hand to wipe her eyes, “Okay…”

Taeng was lying in his bed after spending some time with Jessica, his eyes staring at the white ceiling above him. He slowly places his hand over his heart, feeling the steady heart beat it was creating. He sighs; clutching it softly and slowly closes his eyes. His breathing becomes light; his body becomes light and fuzzy.

 In an instant, everything was pitch black.

 *Ding dong*

Taeng quickly opens his eyes hearing a feint ringing sound, instantly springing up from bed.

 “Did I fall asleep?” He asks himself groggily, lazily rubbing his eyes.

 He hears the ringing sound again, realizing it was the doorbell. He quickly stretches and yawns, heading downstairs to check the door. He gazes around and notices an empty house, as he approaches the door he notices his mother and father’s shoes taken off the rack.

 Did appa and umma go out?

 He shrugs, grabbing the doorknob and lazily twisting it open. Taeng was still feeling groggy after waking up from his unexpected nap; he closes his eyes and rubs them softly.

 “Hey Tae.”

He stops his action, quickly looking up and noticing Tiffany standing at the doorway.

Taeng’s eyes widen, “F-Fany-ah?”

Tiffany warmly smiles, tilting her head in a cute matter.

Taeng flinches back, “What are you doing here?”

“I was just in the neighborhood,” Tiffany answers lightly, “And I thought I’d drop by and say hi.”

 Taeng slowly nods his head, “Come in.”

He stands off to the side, allowing Tiffany to enter; he slowly closes the door as Tiffany removes her shoes.

“My parents’ aren’t home,” Taeng states groggily, stretching his arms.

Tiffany chuckles, “I see someone just woke up.”

Taeng lightly chuckles, “I didn’t even realize I fell asleep.”

Tiffany chuckles again, gazing at Taeng’s messy hair and wrinkled clothes.

She slowly approaches him and fixes his hair, “Aish you and your bed hair.”

 Taeng’s eyes widen seeing the latter’s action, his heart skips a beat. He stares at her as she fixes his hair playfully, his body jolting with unknown feelings.

He smiles to mask his feelings, “Thanks.”

She reciprocates a smile, “You’re welcome.”

Taeng clears his throat, “You want to go to the living room?”

 Tiffany nods, following the latter to the living room and plopping on the couch. Taeng softly sits down next to her, gazing at her and warmly smiling.

 “How was your day?” He asks nonchalantly.

 Tiffany shrugs, “It was alright.”

“Just alright?” He asks, tilting his head.

 Tiffany chuckles bitterly, “Yeah…”

 “Did you hang out with Donghae?” Taeng says, his face in disgust saying his name.

“Yeah…” She replies softly.

“Was he nice today?” Taeng says, leaning back against the couch.

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “He’s never nice.”

Taeng sighs, “I know…”

Tiffany fidgets with her fingers, “I want to break up with him.”

 Taeng snaps his head and gawks at the latter in complete shock, “You do?”

Tiffany nods, “I’ve had enough. I thought giving him a second chance would change him but it didn’t. He’s still a complete jerk to me.”

 Taeng nods his head, gazing down at the latter’s fingers, “I think you would be doing the right thing.”

Tiffany sighs, “I wasted nearly 4 months on him.”

Taeng shakes his head, “I wouldn’t say wasted,” He chuckles, “More like an experience worth learning from.”

Tiffany softly chuckles, “I guess.”

 Taeng smiles warmly, “I’m glad you’re breaking up with him.”

 Tiffany gazes at him, “Really?”

Taeng nods, “I miss seeing a smile on your face.”

Tiffany’s heart skips a beat; her eyes soften as she looks at the latter affectionately. She grows flustered, looking away to conceal her blushing cheeks.

Taeng laughs, “Aigoo. I always seem to make things awkward between us.”

Tiffany quickly shakes her head, “No you don’t. I’m just flattered.”

 Taeng chuckles, taking a deep breath before looking at Tiffany with seriousness, “So when do you plan on breaking up with him?”

Tiffany shrugs, “Soon hopefully.”

Taeng wraps his arm around Tiffany’s shoulder, “If you need moral support I’ll be there.”

 Tiffany blushes again feeling the warmth from Taeng’s arm, her stomach tightening and growing butterflies.

“Thanks Tae…” She replies softly, smiling at him.

 Taeng grins, “Of course.”

Tiffany lays her head on Taeng’s shoulder, enjoying being in the comfort of his arm. Taeng’s body tenses, he quickly retracts his arm, making Tiffany lift her head off his shoulder. Tiffany looks at him oddly, feeling a bit rejected and hurt.

Taeng awkwardly rubs the back of his head, “Sorry…I don’t think Jessica would have liked that.”

 Tiffany’s face falls hearing the Taeng’s words, her heart aches. She wished Taeng didn’t remove his arm, it was like her barrier. The protected feeling she always felt was stripped off her. It hurt her but she knows it was the right thing for him to do.

 Tiffany conceals her pain with an awkward smile, “Right…Sorry, I didn’t mean to do that.”

Taeng shakes his head, his smile erased, “No it’s my fault.”

The atmosphere grows awkward between the two; Tiffany fights the pained feeling inside of her and bites her bottom lip.

 “How are you and Jessica?” Tiffany asks, trying to recover the lively atmosphere that was once in the air.

Taeng looks ahead, “We’re great actually. I’m really happy with her.”

 Tiffany slowly nods her head, “That’s good…”

Taeng smiles, “Yeah.”

 Tiffany gazes down, staring at her hands in her lap, the pained feeling stabbing at her heart.

“I’m really happy for you two…” Tiffany states quietly.

 Taeng looks at her and smiles again, “Thanks Fany-ah.”

 Tiffany forces a smile, “You’re welcome.”

 The awkward atmosphere still lingers in the air between the two, silence was deafening but neither of them had no clue what to say. Taeng clucks his tongue, playing with his fingers, feeling as if time was taking forever to pass. Tiffany keeps her eyes on Taeng, wishing she could find the right words to say to him to strike up a conversation.

Taeng makes direct eye contact with Tiffany, staring into her eyes with full force. Tiffany does the same, wishing she could read his thoughts at this moment.

What are you thinking Tae?

Taeng continues staring into her eyes, his heart skipping a beat.

 Fany-ah, my feelings for you are like Yul’s feelings for Jessica.

 Pure.

Honestly, I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving you.

But…I’m happy with Jessica. She makes me smile; she helps me see the light through my darkest times. I can’t imagine life without her.

At that moment Taeng looks away, ending the eye contact between him and the latter. Tiffany continues to look at Taeng, seeing the different look on his face.

They hear the front door open, Taeng looks out to the hallway.

 “Taeng?”

 “In here umma!” Taeng yells, gazing back at Tiffany.

 Tiffany was trying her best to hold back her tears, it was getting difficult for her to contain.

Mr. and Mrs. Kim enter the living room, bags in Mr. Kim’s hands.

“Omo, Tiffany! Hello!” Mrs. Kim greets happily, not feeling the awkward atmosphere that was still lingering in the air.

Mr. Kim smiles, “Hey Tiffany. What are you doing here?”

 Tiffany quickly stands up, “I was just leaving.”

Taeng looks at her, his face falls seeing the dark look on the latter.

 “So soon? Would you like to stay for dinner?” Mrs. Kim asks, warmly smiling.

 Tiffany shakes her head, “No thank you. Excuse me, I’m going to go.”

Taeng stands up, “Let me walk you out.”

Tiffany shakes her head again, “No I’ll be okay. Thank you for having me over.”

She bows to Taeng’s parents, shoving past him and heads out to the hallway. Taeng’s parents look at their son with a grave expression.  Taeng quickly runs out to the hallway, he approaches Tiffany who was putting on her shoes.

“Fany-ah, what’s wrong?” Taeng asks, his heart piercing with guilt.

Tiffany doesn’t answer; she puts on her shoes, standing up straight and looks at Taeng.

 “I’ll see you later,” She replies softly, unlocking the door and quickly exiting his house.

Taeng sadly sighs, closing the door softly and leaning his arm against it.

“I’m sorry Tiffany,” He says softly, his head against his arm.

 On the other side of the door, Tiffany was leaning against it, silently crying to herself. She couldn’t understand her actions, why her mood suddenly went dark. Her thoughts warp around Taeng again, more tears spew out of her eyes.

“I’m sorry Taeng,” She says softly, wiping the remnants of her tears before slowly walking home.