Maybe...just maybe

Reason Enough

Chapter 6

Maybe...just maybe

She was about to get off the car when she turned and said, “Would you like to come in?”

It was way past midnight but the living room lights was still on. “ My parents are still awake. I’m sure they’d be glad to see you.”

And sure enough her parents are waiting for them.

“Seungri called to inform us that you are together.” Her mother said.

“Would you like a cup of coffee?” her father offered.

Jiyong accepted. “None for me though.” Dara declined.

“ Very well then, If you need anything, Dara and I will be at the porch” her mother declared. Mrs. Park took her hand.

“Is everything all right?” her mother asked.

“I think so.” She replied

“How’s Youngbae?”

“Ok. I guess."

“You don’t sound so sure.”

“Ma…”

“Here. call him.” Her mother handed her the mobile phone and smiled. “ You would never know for sure unless you ask.” A hundred questions entered her mind that seems to clamor for answers at once. She dialed his number.

“Tokki.” He answered. He was actually waiting for her call. He dared not to call her first because of Jiyong, but he was lying wide awake since the moment he arrived. Wondering whether she’s home, tucked safely in bed and sound asleep.

“I changed my mind, Bae.” She said.

“About what?” he asked alarmed.

“About you staying away from my dream.” She replied

“I don’t intend to..” he smiled. “I miss you…”

“Already?” she teased.

“I love you.”

“I love you more.”

“I wish I could kiss you goodnight.” He whispered.

“Me too.” She prayed silently.

 

 

~~~***~~~

 

 

“The moon is full tonight.” Jiyong said as he joins her in the porch.

“Yes, very.” She replied. “I think it would be best if you spend the night here… it’s late. It's not safe for you to drive all the way to the Marina at this time”

“Thank you.” He said

“For what?”

“For the concern.”

“Hey, this is your house.” She eyed him curiously when instead of replying he pulled something off his pocket. “It’s not what I think it is, isn’t it.” Her voice cracked, a tad nervous and a little bit panicky. 

“What if it is?” he smiled.

“No.” she tried to move out of her seat away from him, but he held her still.

“Please stay.” And she did.  He breathes in slowly and they laughed awkwardly.  “I have never proposed to anyone before, you know.” He grinned sheepishly. Dara chuckled.

He looked at her and brushed a stray hair off her face. “Father gave this to my mother a long time ago… as a promise. She gave it to me the day I met him. Now I want you to have it.” He slipped a sixteen stone ring into her finger.

I’m going to fulfill that promise…not of forever but of today. We are in this together.”

And to her astonishment, he bent and brushed his lips to hers. It was a sweet kiss that seems to momentarily fade all her woes. She closed her eyes and breathes. The night felt warm and cozy…the angels seem to be singing some lullaby.

 

I kissed you only once
But I keep wond'rin' why
It seems I kissed your lips so many times
I've known you only now
But I keep wond'rin' why
It seems I've known you forever
CHORUS:
Can it be true?
Could I be wrong?
That somewhere in my past
I fell in love with you
Can it be true?
Could I be wrong?
That somewhere in my past
There was also me and you

 

Maybe...just maybe..

1,2,5,7,10 long days had passed and he hasn't heard from her. "Blast her." he cursed. He called her cellphone for the nth time but to no avail. How can she be so conveniently out of reach! The butler informed him that the lady went sailing, with whom, he didn't care to ask. He never felt so possessive of her not even with his brother, nothing like this.

"arrrgh!" it's eating him. First was the dinner, he couldn't explain it, of course, he's cool about it. For years, they were inseparable. She got him wrapped under her spell the minute she said "I love you Youngbae!" with her toothless grin, he knew right there and then what happiness meant. Dara, in her bare feet and white sundress, holds the key to nirvana. He didn't expect this to happen.. It wouldn't be long before she'd start wearing somebody else's ring and carrying somebody else's name. He still remembers the day she asked his mother what it's like to be Mrs. Choi.

"Why do you want to know?" he asked

"Because one day, I’ll marry you." she declared

"That's the spirit, honey. Don't let him bully you!" his mother laughed

Then their nightmare began. Youngbae fell for somebody else. Dara went rabid, her Youngbae with someone else. He thought she'll never forgive him but she did but not without a one last very angry look. He was sitting at the school cafeteria when he heard "If not for my mother, I'll never talk to you again." she was holding a pale blue pastry box.

"She wants me to give you this and wish the both of you well." and with that she shove it on the table. "May you choke on it." she shot and that very same day she left for Malaysia.

He knew she will need some time and somehow he believes that she will always be there and they will still be together. Now, he wasn't too sure about it. It doesn't feel quite right. And If only that woman shows herself within a couple of hours--maybe, just maybe he'd feel better.

On The Breath Of An Angel
Anggun
(Snow On The Sahara)
Wherever I go
Whatever I see
Over oceans unknown
You are always with me
Pure as the water
We float on this wave
On the breath of an angel
I'll fly away
At the ends of your fingers
I follow tonight
Caught in the lighting
Of a thousand horizons
We dance for no reason
You hold on so tight
Lost in the feeling
Of a wonderful ride

I can hear every word
I see everywhere
Take me into your world
You can answer my prayers
Rivers of hours
Where time is so rare
Hold me forever
Say you'll always be there
Wherever I go
Whatever I see
Over oceans unknown
You are always with me
Pure as the water
We float on this wave
On the breath of an angel
I'll fly away