Short Circuit

Reason Enough

Chapter 25

Short Circuit

 

She was left musing as she walked the empty halls that lead her to where she was found by the one woman that showed her love beyond what was necessary, faith beyond what she can see and hope for that future that is yet to come.

 

She stopped. The door says Sor Martha.

 

She knocked thrice and like clockwork the door opened. Sr. Martha let her in. She saw Jiyong from the window.

 

"You still have a penchant for strays, I see." Dara

quipped.

 

" I run an orphanage, what do you expect? He was alone. It was raining and you broke his heart."

 

"I did not!" she protested

 

"Did he break yours instead?" Sr. Martha handed her a mug of cocoa.

 

"I don't want to talk about it." She turned to look out the

window again.

 

"So you would rather run away? I did not raise a coward

Sandara" The nun sat back.

 

"Sor.." she sat next to her near tears.

 

"When a man's heart and mind are not aligned, he will forever be confused." Sor Martha said, "When your paths fork, remember to pray. Remember St. Paul?"

 

"But he was martyred." she choked back a tear.

 

"He faced death with a peaceful heart, Sandara. Despair is very loyal, a lot of things can be worse than death."

 

"I'll remember that."

~~~~~~~~~

Kiko followed him out. She tried to avoid the curious look of some patrons. He wasn't in a hurry; he is never in a hurry. He made sure to stop at every friendly face on every table, exchanging a couple of good natured dibs with some circuit friends. He was unmindful of her, and she is beginning to feel like a real idiot.

She was about to say something when she heard some guy asked Seunghyun, "Will Dara be back sometime soon?"

"After the honeymoon." He replied “ The lady deserves a proper honeymoon.”

"You are still at it Senghyun?." was the retort

“Hey! Don’t jinx it. The guy waited for years. ” Another shot back to which Seunghyun replied with a laugh. He laughed whole heartedly like some groom tickled pink at the prospect of spending time with his bride for the first time.

Kiko swore. She pulled out her phone and started to call.

~~~~~~~~~~

Dara was laughing by the time they reached the big iron gates of the Park mansion. She was Angela the entire ride home.

 

And at the first opportunity the child move past her and hid behind Youngbae.

 

"Papa!" the child shrieked.

 

"Dara." Bae caught her by the waist and prevented her from going any further.

 

"I just want another bite." she cooed, reaching behind her for Angela.

 

Bae bit her.

 

She eyes widened and pointed an accusatory finger at him. " That was..."

 

"ic?" he cocked an eyebrow.

 

"No. Lecherous." she finished.

 

It was his turn to laugh. "Hyung should be here any minute. Behave yourself." He helped her straighten her dress, it was a little too short for his liking but Angela insisted that her mother wear the same color as her. Mother and daughter  both stubborn.

"How do I look?" she twirled without letting go of his hand.

 

"Beautiful. As always." he winked at her.

 

"Awww. I think my heart just melted." she gasped, pretending to clutch her heart.

 

"It's no longer broken?" Angela piped in, wide-eyed giving her a quick hug from behind. Dara gasped, this time for real. She tried to say something but nothing; she just stood there with mouth agape.

 

"There... There." Youngbae pulled Angela from her leg. "Look your mom is flustered." he brought her into his arms and they both faced Dara. "Mama is pretty when she is all flushed, don't you think?" he smiled playfully.

 

Dara rolled her eyes. " I had enough of the Choi charm to last several lifetimes. Look at where it led me?" she gestured with her arms. She puffed a mouthful of air and started walking towards the entrance.

 

That was how Jiyong saw her that day, walking straight into the arms of another, defiant, determined and undoubtedly happy or at least happier than she was a couple of weeks ago. It was not something he can offer her he knows, not anytime soon. But that realization was enough to kill him. He would have to settle for whatever he can, even from a distance.