In this corner

Reason Enough

 

 

Chapter 22

In this corner

She liked the feel of the air on her skin; she's been coop-up in her room for too long. The sunlight was refreshing too and sitting under the shade of the big plumeria plant and the bright fragrant flower of gardenia gently lifts her spirit. How she wish that Youngbae would speak or simply hum some happy tune. She has always liked the sound of his voice--deep, steady, rarely angry. She was heavily sedated the first couple of days and in the rare occasion that she was awake, nobody spoke about what happened, not even Tabi whose anger can easily match hers. No wonder the common room television was moved elsewhere. They must have made an oath of silence--including Manuel. That easily explains the absence of reporters and any scalawag claiming to be her husband. Provided of course, Tabi hasn't got to him first.

In spite of her throbbing feet, dizzy spells and usual weariness, she was intrigued by the silence.

"Bae." She called out. Her voice came out faint but it sounded to her like a scream, leaving her disoriented. "Was it possible that all that had happened were not real?" she thought. That it was nothing more than a product of her drug aided imagination. She opened her eyes a little, afraid to find herself alone, accompanied only by her imaginary friends.

Youngbae saw the near panic in her eyes. "Shhh... I'm here. I am staying, remember?" he was on his knees, with his arms around her. She touched his face. It was warm--real. "No." she pleads as the wave of painful memories threatens to drown her. She felt her hand tremble and her body breakout in cold sweat. "Ungh." She caught herself mid scream. Her eyes wide open. He sat next to her practically cradling her.

"You're safe here, baby....with me." And before she could push him away, he did start to hum a soft lilting tune.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

A lot of things still need to be said and his father has given him that, a chance to talk to Dara. "Don't expect this to be cordial. You are currently not on her most wanted."

He gave him a nod. The sight of Dara pliant in Youngbae's arms makes him want to hit something ...preferably the man's face. He shook himself, he must remain calm. He is the one at fault and as Seungri said he had been warned. And because he ignored it the first time his marriage now hangs precariously on a thread.  He let out a sigh.

The conversation he had days ago with his dad proved easier than he thought. A surprising pillar in this moment

"Seungri proved to be the most diplomatic, but he will not guarantee your safety should you decide to go anywhere near my daughter." His father reminded him. "It would be foolhardy to show yourself with the brothers around. Had you been somebody else, you would have been fair game. Seunghyun for one couldn’t wait to get his hands on you."

"I am not afraid. I am ready."

"It would be prudent to wait for your brother. He seems to be the only person on this corner to realize how deep in cow dung you really are." Mr Park still managed to smile.

He is not one to play cupid but after hearing his side and seeing him mope over a pair of pink mittens, an old man can hope, can't he? "I have promised my daughter that I will not lawyer for you. So you have exactly 30 minutes to make your plea."

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

The clouds have past but the storm left her tired, too battered to fight. She leaned back taking in the security his arms offer. "You're not alone." He tried to assure her.

"Just lonely." she smarts. He pulled her closer, with her back against his chest, he held her with both arms.

"You've been pretty sensitive lately... to noise, to people, to scents and to taste." he smelt her hair and brought her hand to his lips.

"I reek of drugs." She complained.

"No. You stink like a grouch." Youngbae rapped her on the head.

"Ewww..." They burst out laughing.

"We have fond memories in this place, in this very garden."

"We used to be really happy then. It's absurd how those memories can be pleasant one day then haunting the next." She started tracing circles in his arms. " I was really happy when I got married too. I had you, Tabi and Seungri. Jiyong seemed to be a decent man too. I was starting over on a clean slate. and just like that, it ended. I was had."

"Don't be too hard on yourself Dara. This is just a huge misunderstanding."

"With Kiko, there is nothing to misunderstand." she started to fidget, he held her tighter.

“Stop fidgeting!” he admonished. Dara only glared at him.

"Your marriage has nothing to do with her. You married him in spite of her. Not to spite her." he drew a deep breath. " Kiko belongs to the past. An experience you were supposed to learn from."

"And yet still haunting us." she made a face. Youngbae gave her a kiss on the cheek. "The past merely caught on us. You can't run away when it's too tangled in the present. No use denying it either. You will have to face them Dara, but you don't have to do it alone.."

"I don't have to do it now."

"But you will have to. You have to learn to forgive baby, now more than ever. Especially, yourself."

"I don't think I'm capable of any more miracles, Bae. I don't have the heart for it. Not anymore."

"Then take mine."

"And if I fall?"

"I'll be with you bruised and all."

Dara smiled. “You deserve a medal just for saying that." she threw one arm over his shoulder.

"No more than you do." he rubbed his knuckles on her chin.

"Of course not. I'm vying for martyrdom." she swats at him.

"Don't let my brother hear you."

"Nor Seungri." she agreed. "Where are they anyway?" she frowned.

"You wouldn't want to know."

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

It has started raining when Youngbae drove his car out of the premises. He first made sure that she was bathed, scrubbed, dressed and comfortable before being fed a steaming bowl of soup. "You do realize I can very well dress myself." she tried to snatch her pajamas from him.

"Of course." he pulled the shirt down and pried her arms free towards the sleeves.

"I am no longer 10!" she screeched.

"I am very well aware of that." he gave her a wink.

"I am not..."

"Planning to take on a lover, I hope."It was Seungri whose presence came unannounced.

"Privacy,  people! Nobody seems to know the meaning of it." She was incredulous.

"Save it." he glided in uninvited. It was the first time he addressed her for almost a week maybe, but she wasn't sure. She’s been asleep most of the time. In fact, she hasn't seen him since they brought her here. She had heard him speak to the nurses, to the nuns, to her physician, to the children, to Youngbae, to Seunghyun but he never stepped once inside her room to check on her, if she's awake. Not that she was pleasant company but still. Aside from her parents, he would be the last person she wants to upset. And by the looks of it, his patience is ebbing.

Dara smiled, a little strained but a smile nonetheless. "Don't patronize me Noona. I'm not the one in cast." Seungri gibes before giving her a once over.

"The things one endure from family. So... how do I look?" she sighed obviously stung.

"Paler...thinner..but nothing I can't love." he said a small smile playing on his lips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Feel free to leave comments :) Thank you for reading.