Marred Mirror

Reason Enough

Chapter 13

Marred Mirror

She could hear the soft tip tap of the rain somewhere, it was cold , empty , damp. The pavement was all she can remember, an old memory perhaps ...a very painful old memory.

"Don't leave, please. Don't go, no..no..." she pleads. She was choking in her sobs. "Tabi.."

"shhh...Tabi is not here, but I am." a faint voice assured

She felt an extremely comforting warmth that envelopes her. A warm body, who's heartbeat is reassuringly steady, a new hope . She tried to open her eyes but to no avail…and as slumber slowly creeps in she heard " Goodnight, baby girl...sleep tight."

 

 

"Ma..." Dara stirred. She tried to raise her hand, trying to reach on to something.

"Ma..Pa..." Jiyong reached for her hand. “She’s awake." Jiyong cried " shhh...easy."

She woke up in a flurry of white cotton sheets and fresh morning air. She tried to get up but he stopped her. "Don't force yourself."

Ama checked her vital signs--her blood pressure and pulse rate were all normal.

"How do you feel?" Ama asked

"Hungry." was her reply

"Were you trying to scare me?" she scowled.

"Was I successful?" she bantered

"No..but it was quite a stunt." she commented

"Thanks." she smiled weakly

"Ma, where's everybody?" she piped

"Seungri and Youngbae are having tea. Jiyong here is on his fifth cup of coffee." she gestured to her right. "No need to agitate yourself. They will have to wait. I already asked somebody to send your food immediately." Mrs. Park replied

"Ma..." she tried to say

"Rest , stay in bed if you must, we'll take care of everything." her mother assured her.

"I'm sorry." she apologizes looking at her father this time.

"No need for apologies, honey. We understand." he smiled and gave her hand a kiss. " Now, I want you to eat." Mr. Park ordered and gestured towards Jiyong before he left the room with his wife.

She is obviously surprised to see him still holding her other hand, much more when he started feeding her a bowl of clear soup. She couldn't put her finger on it yet, but definitely something was wrong.

"I don't like this." she broke the silence

"What? Don’t you like the soup?" he said finally.

"The soup is fine, it's just that I am not used to being spoon-fed. I can handle it, you know." She tried to smile

"I know and at this point your opinion doesn't count. So, will you please be quiet and eat." he replied nonchalantly

"Are you..." she frowns

"Can't you say my name now?"

"Jiyong."

"Yes..."

"Why are you here?" He glared at her. " I mean, after what happened I don't expect to see you here. Though, you don't have to be really grumpy either." she smiled awkwardly.

"Goodness, Dara. I was more than upset last night. This may be nothing more than just a game to you but you scared the living daylights out of me.  Do  not ever do that again" he rants

His actions totally baffle her, the outburst was totally unnecessary. "Must be the caffeine." she thought but needless to say she knew she was at fault.

" I'm sorry." she bit her lip. " I know I am can be a little irrational sometimes but please don't take it personally. I'll be forever grateful." she smiled shifting her gaze to the spoon he was holding. " and as for Kiko, don't worry, there was no love lost."

"Sandara..."

"Stop feeling sorry for me. ok? I don't know what they told you and I don't care. I'm not a kid anymore. So, can we start all over again?" she asked now grinning from ear to ear.

"I don't understand you." he sighed

"You don't have to." she smiled " We can still be friends, truce?" she offered her hand

"That's a good start." he accepts.

"And Jiyong, thanks for staying with me last night." she tried to suppress a yawn and grinned sheepishly.

"You are always welcome." He replied passing her a buttered toast with cinnamon sugar.

"Hmmm... thanks!" she took a bite. Here she took another piece and held it for him. "You had way too much coffee I heard; This will be good for you. You want milk tea, juice?" she fed him another bite

"It would be better if you try and get some more sleep after that." He moved to take the food tray from her lap.

"Excessive sleeping damages brain cells I was told." she grinned even more snatching another piece of toast.

"Water clogging results to a more permanent one." He responded fluffing one of her pillows and pushed her to bed.

"That's a good one." She laughed lightly.

"Can I ask you a question?"

Dara shrugged in response. "I heard you were betrothed once"

"Yes. " She sighed " To Seunghyun... Bae's brother. that's Youngbae for you."

"What happened?" he asked

"Kiko...and the rest they say is history." she smiled bitterly "It's almost dinner, isn't it? Have you seen Seungri?" she abruptly changed the subject

"Here." came the reply . The door opened and Seungri stepped in followed by Youngbae. " I heard your voice, so I thought you might be looking for me." he said


"Mighty presumptous" she frowns

"Perceptive is the word, I believe and I'm rarely wrong." he smiled

"You seem to be forgetting something." Youngbae said.

"What?"

"That old habits die hard." he tossed her a jacket

"I'm sorry. I fell asleep..." She said guiltily looking at Seungri.

“In the tub?” His eye brows raise.

“I did not mean to.” She look contrite

"Forgiven,must be the drug. Just be extra careful next time." He replied helping her on her feet.

"I will." She promised embracing Seungri. The embrace lasted for more than a minute, it was tight,comforting. The unconditional kind.

"You better." he kissed her lightly on the temple

"You're not angry?." she kissed back.

"More like worried." He answered. "Now hurry before mother freaks out." he smiled.

"Send her my love." she replied before putting on the jacket.

"I will."

"Where are you going?" Jiyong held her arm.

"We'll just cruise the main drag. I need some fresh air." Dara replied smiling. "Don't worry" she clasped her hands on his " I'll be back in bed before daylight."

"Before midnight."

She simply laughed and brushed her lips on his.