Taffy and Mint

Reason Enough

Chapter 21

Taffy and Mint

 

 

He saw the brothers drove off with Dara laying across Seunghyun's lap, unconscious. He tried to struggle but was rendered immobile by two men--- Seungri and his brother.

"Let go, Daesung."

"Not until you calm down." his brother answered pulling him up his feet.

"Damn it. They just left with my wife."

"Dara is going to be fine." Seungri replied

"Fine!! Didn't you just see the state she was in?! They practically crippled her."

“ It was necessary." Seungri quips

"Necessary! There was no way she could have won against those two!"

"Not on a fair fight. If you're going against Sandara, you might as well err on the side of caution."

He knew it was futile but he never felt this strong desire to ran after her and an even greater desire to hit his brother back. The arrival of Daesung was a welcome surprise but he did not expect him to take their side either.

"What are you doing here?" He gruffs at Daesung

"Keeping you alive big brother. I heard you tried to replace Dara in the new campaign for Fire. It was foolish to think of replacing her in the ad of her own fragrance line under her own company Park Inc. Replacing her with Kiko was suicidal."

"Thank you for the great show of support brother." he spat “Dara knew.  I lobbied for Kiko.”

“Correction, you lobbied for Audrie not Kiko.” Daesung gave him a face.

“Audrie Kiko.  Same banana.”

"Save it.” Daesung held up a hand indicating they should stop.  “ Let's get out of here first."

"Wait." He stopped

"Where's Kiko?" He heard his brother swore and saw Seungri hit him with something solid.

He woke up with a big lump on his head and a dark bruise across his chest. Seungri definitely knows how to end his statements in stress.

"Urgh.." That's the most coherent he could muster.

"I never thought you could be such a bastard, excuse the expression." Daesung sneers.

"Ungh.." He managed to heave himself in a sitting position.

"Consider yourself lucky." Daesung handed him some pills which he downed with water from a glass on his bedside table.

A smiling Dara greeted him from one of the frames. His pillows smell like she did last night--- of peaches and apricots and a whole lot of jasmine. He reached for his jacket. Now is not the right time to rest...not the right time to lean back and feel the pain on his head, his arms, and ah.... not a good time indeed. His wife could be anywhere. He heard the door slide open and his brother calling out to him but surprises never seem to cease.

"Going someplace?"

"Dad?!" he exclaimed moving a little too quickly.

"How is Dara? Is she all right?" he stumbled on the table.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" was the acerbic reply. “Barely 48 hours ago had you taken my daughter's hand and in front of everyone you promised her loyalty. In a ceremony attended by people she truly cared for, she relinquished her freedom and chose you. I can't seem to fathom how my own flesh and blood can hurt Dara so much." He took a step forward. " Now I want you to tell me your side of the story." He picked up a box with a pair of pink mitten and some leftover jasmines.

"Come clean." his brother said loud enough only for him to hear.

He helped him return to his bed. “He’s been walking around with that cane in hand."

“Thank you for that observation Daesung." Mr. Park inclined his head. "I certainly hope my son has gained more clarity now than what he had yesterday because it will sadden me immensely should Seunghyun finish what Seungri started.

Great ... just great he thought. How was he supposed to explain that amidst all warning he decided to sail on thinking that he was right. That he did believe Kiko was not such a huge threat that half of it was imagined. That he has been faithful and that he was wrong. That it was doubly painful to see those tears that were never meant for him ...that she was crying still for some lost opportunity in her former life and that in spite of it he loves her still.

" Dad."

"I'm listening."

 

 

~~~~~~~~~******~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

"You are not listening." a child around ten pulled at her dress. She was staring at the gate. How long has it been? Four days? She tried to ease her weight from her right foot. It was in cast...just a hairline fracture nothing serious. Then she turned to look at the child.

"Sr. Martha said,YOU" the child poked at her stomach "are not to leave your room." she pointed at the door down the hall. She merely shrugged.

"No." the child bellows. “You were pretty much agreeable before that wedding of yours. What have they done to you?"

They tore my heart and trampled on my ego." but Dara curbed the retort and tried to smile. This kid does not deserve to be lambasted but the pills are making her irritable and terribly nauseous. She badly needed some fresh air. She tried to move past her but stopped. Everything seem to be out of proportion and the floor is approaching her fast. She heard a few garbled sound and waited for a thud---none came.

"Easy..." A familiar voice said...so familiar it could have been her own.

"Breathe..." Ahhh.... she tends to forget sometimes, breathing alone can be liberating. She took one, two lusty breaths then closed her eyes and allowed herself to be carried.

"Is she all right?" The child piped

"She will be."

"Yes, I will be...not yet but I will be." she agreed silently.

"I was afraid she might throw up. She looks pale."

" She needs a little sun don't you think? And some fresh air."

"But she is not suppose to go anywhere." The child objects.

"To go anywhere alone." He corrected. "But since you're here. You and I can accompany her." he gave her a conspiratorial wink. He props her on one of the chairs in the middle of the garden. "What's your name?"

"Lila, I'm a daughter of Tabitha." she reached out her hand for the customary hand-shake.

"Bae." he clasped his over hers. " How old are you Lila?"

"Ten." she gave him a smile. "What's her name?"

"Dara." She stirred a little when she heard her name.

"She's a daughter too, isn't she?" A daughter of Tabitha , an orphan she meant. He gave a nod.

" You are not the man she married, are you?" she was looking at him intently as if trying to remember something.

Youngbae smiled. " What made you think so?"

"You don't look like a monster to me. Besides if you are, you would not want to go near her. She positively hates you." She was nodding vigorously as if agreeing with herself.

"Now..Now..Tell me. What made you conclude he was such a monster?"

"Her! We hear her almost every night. She's scary. Rar!" Lila shuddered. “You care for her don't you? You would not be here unless you do. She doesn't look like your sister." She reasons

"What about you Lila? You wouldn't be here if she's that scary." Youngbae asks.

"She reminds me of my sister.' There was a pause. "I didn't want her to be lonely thinking everybody left her. Orphans should stay together."

"Where's your sister, Lila? Youngbae wondered, shouldn't sisters be together?

"She decided to leave earth permanently." she was staring at Dara. “She decided it was too boring for her.” She shrugged. "Sr. Martha said I could see her." she pulled out a candy from her pocket. "Here have some." She put the candy on Dara's palm. "It is taffy and mint, suppose to make you feel better."

The lunch bell rang.

"You are not leaving her, are you?" she asked looking at Youngbae directly as the other kids slowly make their way to the refectory.

"I'm not leaving her, as long as she needs me." Youngbae answered.

"She'll need you for a very long time."

"I know." Youngbae nods.

Satisfied, Lila waved. " I'll see you later then." and to Dara she whispered. "Be better." she then sauntered off.

"Be better. " and with that thought she chose to keep her eyes closed.

If only things were that simple. They would all stop yearning for people they can't have.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you for reading and to the new subscriber Thank you as well.   Awwww.  I hope I do not confuse anyone any further. But let me attempt  to explain my form of story telling.  I opted to use flashback within a flashback.  I am telling a story that happened 3 years prior to today with flashbacks to 5 years back.  Those in italized supposedly serve as memories instead of a grid line to indicate a change in time or point of view. :)

If you have questions please feel free to ask so that the characters may be given the opportunity to explain themselves. :) It is 5:30 in the morning where I am and I am rambling on.  Good night everyone.