Strawberry and Peppermint

Reason Enough

Chapter 2

Strawberry and Peppermint

Two years ago...

Trying to balance the phone on her shoulder, Dara was busy t some flowers on her desk.

"Honey, we are having guest tonight, we are expecting you to be ready by 7:00 pm, ok?"

"Yes, Sir!" she replied, as she snatch a stem from a bundle. Her father is already in his 50's. A tall striking man, he exudes authority and command respect from everyone. For years she always dreamed of having a relationship like that of her parents--- sweet, affectionate and supportive. And the fact she was adopted did nothing to diminish their love for her. "You were born to be my child" her mom once said. Ah, her mother, as dainty as her favorite flower---magnolia, so delicate, so regal and so beautiful.

With a massive sweep, Dara scooped a bundle and tied it with peach silk ribbons. "For mama" she wrote

"Dara!" her cousin Bom poked her head from between the door."Your driver is here."

" I did not send for one." She waved her hand in refusal. "Just send him home, I can manage."

"I think you may want to tell him that." She insists " I don't think he came all the way here just to hear that."

"Ok, one minute." She tried a last attempt to tidy her desk and grabbed the flowers.

"Hello, Miss Park." The man smiled upon seeing her "I see you still like your flowers with peach silk ribbons." The man stood from where he was seated, clad in black shirt barely hiding a small tattoo that vaguely reads as dara on his left chest just below his collarbone.

"Youngbae!" She stepped back nearly tripping on one of the tall chairs still clutching the flowers a little tighter. Youngbae comes from the family that owns the biggest flower farm in the country and his parents being a major patron of the orphanage made them childhood friends.

"Careful, you might hurt yourself." He laughed, touching her elbow as he approached her slowly from behind the chairs.

"Since when did you get here?" She said finally.

“A little over an hour ago." He teased further, taking a quick nip of her lips " hmmm... strawberry and peppermint. I'm glad you liked the sherbet I sent you"

"I ..." she stammered

"Yes, you deserve a proper kiss, honey." he chuckled "You haven't totally forgotten about me, have you."

"No ... I " she tried to get her balance by holding on to him.

"Would you care to join me for a spin?" he dangled his keys " You drive.."

"Tempting but Mom's expecting me tonight." she laughed "Maybe you'd like to join us for dinner instead?"

"I don't want to spoil your quality time with your folks." he freed her other hand of her bag, and held it.

"Will tomorrow be fine then?"

"Definitely.” she nodded

 

 

~~~~~~~~~********~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

It was almost 6:00 pm when a black convertible stopped just outside the Park Mansion.

"Would you like to come in?" Dara turned to face him

"Some other time I think your folks are expecting some friends tonight, the garden is exceedingly tidy, look!" he pointed at the well manicured lawn of their mansion.

"Maybe your folks?" she laughed heartily

"Would you want me to ask for your hand?" he asked bemused.

"I already got burned once. Thank you!" After giving him a peck on the cheek, she stepped out of his car and dashed off to the main door still clutching the flowers and her bag .

" Ma!!!!" she bellows " I am home.." she was smiling and gave an exaggerated curtsy to the butler that greeted her " Good evening."

"Honey!" her father said as she found them in the foyer

"Papa." she kissed her father on both cheeks then turned to her mother and said “These pretty flowers are for my mother."

"These are indeed lovely, Thank you." her mom smiled

"Expecting anyone?" she looked around

"Why don't you settle yourself first and we'll see your father in an hour." her mother ushered her out of the foyer. They have reached the bottom landing of the stairs and her mother was still holding her hand.

"Are we all right?" she pressed her mother's hand

"Oh yes. I was just thinking of how fast you've grown and how lucky would be the man you marry."

"I'm fine mom." she laughed dismissively

"But honey your father and I would want you to be happy. Have a family, have someone take care of you." They have stopped in front of her room.

"I am happy and I can take care of myself." She said as she stepped into a peach colored room with a huge sun mural on the ceiling.

"I can think of a couple of names who wouldn't mind doing that for you." Her mom persisted

"I don't think I would want to get into that." She said evasively dropping her things on the floor and sitting on her bed haphazardly.

"We do have guests tonight, Dara." her mother admits " Somebody from the past. Somebody very important... to your father."

"Who?" she asked intrigued.

"Kwon Jiyong."

"Whoooaaa... He's the current vice-chairman of Kwon Shippings, isn't he? Interesting... I saw him on TV yesterday, I think. So what makes him different?" She mused.

"They're blood related." she replied "Before your father and I met, he had one other serious relationship and they had a son ."

" Wow... and you knew about this? But how come I never knew about it?" she retort

"Neither did we until recently, they formally met each other only two month ago in Tokyo."

"Tokyo." she parrots "Are we going to make any formal announcements?" she asked

Her mother took hold of both her hands "Only if you agree to marry him."

"Mom!" she gasped " I don't even know him. He could possibly have a girlfriend or a child somewhere!"

"It is his birth right to be a part of us but your father would want to protect your interest too."

"You've given me more than enough."

"That is why I'm trying to give you a choice, a chance to think things over and possibly an opportunity to say no." her mom said firmly

"How much time do I have?" she asked

" Less than two hours."

Her mother had kissed her before leaving her room. Slowly she stood and entered her bathroom. She looked at herself in the mirror; she has aged in just a matter of minutes. She opened the tap and filled her tub, painstakingly prepared a bath. The room was filled with steam and the scent of citrus and of sandalwood. She felt so empty. She wanted to drown herself.

"rrrriiinngg..." The sound of telephone managed to cut her slumber and brought her to her senses.

"yes..." She croaked

"Your mother called me to check on you. Are you all right?"

"You couldn't have called at a better time... I need to get out of here."