Winter Solstice

Reason Enough

Chapter 4

Winter Solstice

"Thank you for coming." She whispered. It was already past midnight, her parents had retired to bed and the guest left barely an hour ago. Seated on the settee with her was Seungri.

"It was the least I could do." he replied, allowing her to lean on his shoulder. "I know Jiyong. We went to the same University together. He's a decent man."

"But I don't want just a decent man."

"I know...have you already told him? Youngbae called me on my way here." he said. She took a deep breath and shook her head.

"Maybe tomorrow. Seungri what do you know about Jiyong?"

"That this is not something he'll do for kicks. Try not to think about it now, it was a long day. We'll sort this one out tomorrow."

"Thank you." when she finally closed her eyes tears began to fall freely, as if trying to wash all her doubts away. She didn't even bother to wipe them off. Few hours ago, everything felt right. Now she is not sure what tomorrow may bring.

"You'll be fine." Seungri assures her as he lifted her off her seat and carried her to bed. " shhhh...don't move and try to get some sleep. I'm not leaving you tonight." he brushed some stray hair off her face. He pulled the lights off and lain next to her. The room was filled with darkness and her silent sobs. "Don't worry. I'm here."

~~~~~~~~~~~*******~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dara had been staring at the flowers for some time now, while her companion takes in every detail of her face. Every change on her facial expression.... he wanted to laugh. Here they are together after almost six months of being away from each other, but all she did was stare into space as if counting every petal of every flower present in front of her. She even sounded distant when she told him she wanted to go to the flower farm this morning.

Strange, why the farm of all places? He was expecting her to ask him to drive out of the city, go racing, jump off the cliff maybe, but not this. They haven't been here for quite some time now. Not since the day she hung those paper lanterns by the cabin door and declared herself the princess of the Choi Kingdom. They have shared way too many painful memories here.

For years, Dara is his angel... his baby. a bright eyed four year old girl who would play with her paper cut dolls while waiting for him and his mother at the orphanage every weekend. Yes, every weekend for almost a year until Uncle Ben took Dara. He was with her almost every day since then.

They went to the same school, ate lunch together and sometimes they would spend weekends here at the farm. They always made sure that she is fine, not that Dara needed to be cared for, far from it, but her patience run a little short sometimes. And of course the lady is a little too stubborn. She might ram her car at the next post if she feels the need for it. And when he left last year, he would call her like he never left. She would even throw tantrums like a little kid, which will prompt him to send notes hand delivered the very next day otherwise she'll never answer a single call he makes. Dara is funny though. He just loves it whenever she wrinkles her nose every time she laughs... but he hasn't heard a word from her since they arrived... nothing more than the sound of deep breathes. Nothing more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*******~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3:00pm Lee Realty

The elevator stopped on the 47th floor. He told his secretary to cancel his appointment for this.... for his peace of mind.

" You obviously know that what you are doing is inappropriate" he told himself. "But Seungri happens to be an old friend. He surely will understand." That this time it is personal, after all he has waited for years. And what if he isn't willing to give her up? Now that is a chance he has to take.

The secretary ushered him in. The Office of the Executive Vice President. The interior was mostly in moss green and coral with aged dark oak as furniture. It also has a spectacular view of the bay. But he has remained rooted in front of a huge black and white portrait of a woman. Her eyes closed, with her dress fluid and hair flowing. She could be a mermaid or a Norse goddess.

"Beautiful isn't she?" Seungri said as he rose to offer his hand in greeting.

"She is almost unrecognizable ... almost surreal."

"Like a sea goddess caught in her sleep. It was a part of a friend's portfolio which he originally gave to Dara. But when that friend left, she decided to display it in my office, so I could keep an eye on her while she sleeps." Seungri moved towards the table on his left and pour himself a drink. He offered a glass to Jiyong.

"Is that why you were there last night?" Jiyong asked frankly

"That and more." he said "I must admit, I was surprised when she told me she has decided on marrying you. And when Uncle Ben told me why, I was scared for her. Nobody can ever force her to do something she doesn't want to do. She never anticipated it. Not like this ... not you."

"Are you telling me to call off the wedding plans." Jiyong smiled.

"No, I'm telling you to give her time and a little more space." Seungri counters

"But we need to get to know each other for us to make the right choice." He reasoned.

"I've heard about your escapades these past few years. With women who patiently waits for you in the sidelines. I'm warning you will be messing with a lot of emotions here."

"Including yours?" He challenged. He took a seat on a comfortable looking chair on the corner.

"Probably."

"Your father is my father's best friend --- his business partner. And it goes without saying that you know Dara very well, but as to what extent is your relationship, that is what I want to know.

"Is she aware that you are running a background check on her?" Seungri asked

"In the same manner that you ordered one on me?" he retort

"You never waste time do you?" Seungri laughed

"Neither do you... now tell me." Jiyong replied.

"It's fairly common knowledge that we've spent our awkward years together, she stayed with us for a couple of years, just simply basking on the Malaysian sun." Seungri obliged

"She loved the fact that my mother adores her, like the daughter she never had. Dara likes to test my patience though, she liked to camp in my room, labeling her name on my things. She kind of tormented me with her mere presence. Dara can be adorable at one time and such a prick the next, that I never get to stay angry at her for a long time, which I must say she learned to use at full advantage. Things did change though, when I had an accident, she kept blaming herself for it. I was unconscious for three days. She was crying the whole time, I was told, screaming at me. She even threatened me with death if I don't wake up.“ Seungri laughed at the memory.

" When I did wake up, she wasn't there. I learned later that she made an offering to the Buddhist goddess of Mercy Kun Yin. Days later, I received a note that says "I'm sorry". “She lost a lot of weight when she came back. That was almost six months later, she never really talked about it but it was the most she did for anyone."

"Even for Youngbae? Jiyong asked, calculating.

A short silence followed, nobody spoke each one trying to gauge where this conversation may lead, whether they are ready to face what they may discover. "Yes...even for Youngbae." Seungri confirms after a while.

"Who's Youngbae? Who is he that she dropped everything just to be him today? Father mentioned that he just arrived from Japan and one of the first things he did was see her. I was also told that he's the one keeping Dara from joining us for dinner." he asked earnestly.

Seungri was somehow tempted to tell him everything, but decided against it. Now is not the right time. Dara just might be telling Youngbae about Jiyong right now. " A friend... he's a very dear friend to her." was all he said.

~~~~~~~~~*****~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm surprised you didn't put up a resistance. No screaming, no tantrums. You are actually taking this like a mature woman. So... should I congratulate him?" he asked flippantly

"What? Are you mocking me?" Dara perked up " He doesn't even know me! I don't like him... he is so arrogant! He even kissed me in front of my parents, can you believe that? The gall! " She continued to rant.

"So... he did kiss you.... What do you think?" he asked smiling

"Think about what?" she retort

"About him."

"And what about him?"

"Hahahah... he seems to rub you the wrong way." he surmised

“You bet he does!" she was fuming still

"He rubbed you? Where?" Youngbae jumped in mocked surprise, running a quick check on Dara.

"Youngbae! You are impossible!" she screamed, stumping her feet in frustration.

"Now that is more like it. I'm not used to seeing you so passive. It scares me. Now tell me, how does he look? He asked still smiling. "And I want an honest, objective description. No biases...”

"He is almost as tall as Seungri, fair skinned with hair dyed auburn blond. He also looks a lot like my father."

" So... you’re marrying a 50 something executive who dyes his hair? ." he guffaws

"Arrrgghh! That does it." she cried pulling her hair in exasperation. In an attempt to lash at him, she grabbed him by the collar and bit him. Hard.

~~~~~~~~**********~~~~~~~~~~~

"Now Seungri, tell me about the ring?"

"What about it?" he counters

"You have the same ring."

"So what? I understand where you're coming from but the concern is a little to much. I believe that is unnecessary." Yes, absolutely unnecessary.

Jiyong no longer needs to know the circumstances behind it.

He gave it to her barely a year ago with a promise of "Always and Forever." They were walking by the busy Osaka sidestreet when Darasuddenly stopped on her tracks--She was staring at the glass display of a popular jewelry store. The rings --- those rings that she admired so much at the very minute she  arrived in Akita at the beginning of the winter solstice. It was no longer there. Slowly, ever so slowly she turned to face the man who was following her every step. The light coming from too many establishments surrounding them, seem to contrast everything--- everything that she feels.

"Even the rings couldn't wait for me." she choked

She originally wanted to go to Mongolia. " I heard that they have wonderful leaves there." she told Seungri.

She was so excited at the prospect of going that kept him awake all night talking about it. Then Youngbae called, he won't be able to make the trip.

"Fine! Fine!" she told him. Of course, Dara is gravely aware of his responsibilities. His family just opened a hotel in downtown Tokyo. He needs to attend parties and corporate function for publicity. And in all that, there will never be a shortage of girls... Japanese girls. And even if she refuse to admit it----she is jealous and she was fuming all right. As a sort of compromise Seungri suggested Japan. Akita is magnificent during the autumn season, not to mention the fact that it's just hours away from Tokyo by train. And so they went and she now finds herself on the verge of tears by the Osaka sidestreet.

"Somebody once told me that everything happens for a reason." Seungri said while looking for something in his jacket. "And for every reason, a purpose." he continued as he finally pulled a powder blue box from one of the pockets. "I know you have many friend, but I promise you that I will be there when you finally find none. Go ahead, open it." he urged

And when she finally did, the first snowflakes of the season fell on that majestic night along the sidewalks of Osaka.

"I love you " she began to cry

"Always." He went to ruffle her hair

"Forever."