The Night Before War

Reason Enough

Chapter 18

The Night Before War

 

It proved to be a rather long drive from Passions to Marina and yet she seems to bask on the scent of salt water, the cool night air and arabian jasmine. She decided earlier today to keep a jar on board Jiyong's Benz Kompressor. It made her feel at home… very much at home.

 

It was a long time ago when she dropped by Seungri’s apartment with more than an overnight bag and a smirk. “Lee Seungri!” She roars.  “Baby Ri!” she continued to pound the door.  It was 6:00 am she smiled to herself; she can almost see Riri’s face.  She let out a soft chuckle. “Lee Seungri.Baby! .” And when she felt the door open, she gave it a shove and hollered “Baby!” only to be stomped by the bespectacled mousy haired boy in his pajama bottom.

 

“Where is Seungri?” she said aghast only to be surprised by an obviously disheveled Ri from behind “Daraya.” He huffs.  He looks like he just stumbled out of his bed and ran out of his apartment to get where he is “this isn’t my apartment.”

 

She was chuckling the whole time Ri tried to apologize and dragged her out. She even laughed louder when he tried to wrap his arms protectively around her upon seeing vultures emerge from doors nearby. “Get inside boys, the girl is mine.”

 

“Mine.” That is what the card says that comes with every bouquet of yellow tulips that she received in the subsequent mornings of her stay. Mine.

 

She blushed.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked suddenly when Jiyong took a right turn towards the main road.

"Tell you about what?" he answered

"About the flowers..."

"I was hoping you would simply remember." he glanced down at her hand playing with the flowers he gave her earlier, still wrapped in pink tissue paper.

"I don't keep tabs on people I meet.”

“Not even when you find them half- in the morning?” he smirked.

“I was never able to properly apologize about that.” She bit on her lower with a half grimace.

“I don’t really mind.” He was smiling now. “Seriously.” He thought

 "Would you mind if we stop for a while?"

Jiyong was baffled but he nonetheless obliged. "Weren't we in a hurry?" he asked.

"This won't take long promise." she raised her hand

"You are not planning on anything , are you?" he kidded her.

"No!" she slammed a tulip on his chest. "This is for not telling me."

"You're not angry are you?" he just stared at the flower perplexed.

She leaned even closer "and this is for all the mornings I woke up giddy." It was the first kiss they shared that she initiated. "Damn!" she thought, her mind racing, heart palpitating, she is in no condition to be left alone with him. She stopped. "We better head home."

"Good Lord!" Jiyong breathes. "Would you like to go on a honeymoon now? Seriously, I wonder if a truckload of tulips will bring me farther than just a kiss." he said as he revved up the engine. The sound of Dara's laughter drowned the rest of his statement. "You wish!"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

They woken up in each other’s arms, with Dara’s body snugly molded on his.  A conspicuous mark on her shoulder and another one on her neck will remind her and everyone that they are in a rudely interrupted honeymoon. Allowing her to see Seunghyun may have its advantages but he sure felt cheated.  He kissed her instead. Screw them. Seunghyun’s party can wait.

And wait it did. The party was in full swing when they arrived but she was surprised to see all three standing, waiting not very patiently  at the parking lot.

"Finally!" Seunghyun cried. "Goodness, Sandara, I was already on my last stick. What took you so long?!" Seunghyun rants

"Since when did you start smoking." she demanded looking at his hands dangerously.

"We were expecting you an hour and a half ago." Youngbae interjects.

"What is this, the Spanish Armada? With hand on her hips she scoffs.

"We couldn't reach you. I believe you left this." Seungri handed her mobile phone. 'Jiyong's phone is turned off." he adds

"Seunghyun sent me home." she said to no one in particular

"I told you to go home early NOT come in late." He glared at her.

"Which way is to the execution chamber?" she frowned.

"To your right, straight ahead." Tabi grits

"Aren't you going to me." she jeered

Youngbae simply shook his head and lead Dara by the elbow. Tabi followed leaving the baffled Jiyong with Seungri.

"This is a pretty interesting night." The former commented

"It certainly would be if you haven't told her yet." Seungri warned, the look on his face was foreboding.

"Dara was happy on our way here."

"Let's hope we can keep it that way."

"What do you mean?"

"Fire, Jiyong. Fire."

 

 

~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~

 

 

"What's eating Mr. Gripe?" Dara's face was distorted into a frown when she found a seat next to her cousin Bom.

"Your father called, looking for you." she answered

"He did? Why?"

"He didn't say. They wouldn't tell me either... But had you arrived a minute later, They would have launched a massive search for you."

"But I'm not missing."

"And we intend to keep it that way." Youngbae leaned to give her a peck on the cheek. The gesture did not go unnoticed, definitely not by Jiyong.

"Brandy?" Seungri handed him a glass.

"Tell him to get his hands off my wife." he growled.

"Oh he will. Just shelve the ad first." Fury, hell knows no fury like a woman scorned.

 

 

~~~~~~**~~~~~~~

 

 

It was one of those rarest night, the air was damp, the moon was lonesome, the height of summer, he found himself drinking--alone.

The funny part was he couldn't find a single bottle of liquor from his stock, all she left him were three cartons of cranberry juice, water and a note. "Sorry." it says, for what he wasn't quite sure, maybe for emptying his wine bottles or for leaving in haste. He was surprised to hear his phone ringing. The clock reads 3:AM way too late for a social call and a little too early for business.

"Tabi..." her voice barely audible, it was that of anguish.

"Where are you?" he asked.

"Tabi." It seems to be the only word she can muster.

"Where are you?" he asked again.

"With Seungri." this time her voice cracked. And just like that --- the ground shook ---his world trembled. He will never forget the state she was in when they found her. She was crying for days, her eyes swollen, her cheeks pale and an occasional "Seungri" can be heard as she tugs on his hospital gown. It was a scary sight. And he will do everything to prevent it from happening again.

"Dara." she heard him say and a soft nudge finally brough her back to his side, in his arms. "What's wrong?" he asked brushing stray hair off her face.

"What?" she replied rather blankly.

" You look so out of it, are you all right?" his concern was evident.

"I just remembered something."

"Is it Seunghyun still?"

"I'm just happy that he's back, even though my life may be skewed, he at least provides that semblance of normalcy."

"I know I shouldn't be, but the sight of you and Seunghyun together bothers me."

"As much as that of me and Youngbae?" she laughs in amusement.

"I'm serious." Jiyong frowned

"Tabi is a natural flirt, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave with some old friend tonight." she giggled

"So my princess thinks that is funny." Somebody interjects.

"Tabi!" she exclaimed in surprise.

"Pardon the way I address your wife, Jiyong. But she seem to have forgotten it isn't proper to speak of others behind their backs" Seunghyun continued impishly.

"For your information, Mr. High and Mighty sneaking behind people's back is considered impolite as well."

"I didn't mean to intrude." he raised both hands "I really intend not to, at least not until I heard you mention my name."

"Hmpf! Eavesdropper." she accused snootily.

"Tattletale." he retort

"Will you stop it, both of you? I am not trained to referee two warring ruffians" Jiyong interfered

"I totally feel for you, Jiyong." Imagine, being married to a shrew." he winked tapping Dara's chin

"Grrhhhhhhh...." she bare her teeth.

"I'm just trying to protect my interest. I still intend to keep my wife after tonight. Be she a sprite or not." Jiyong said

"I hope you always remember that." Tabi turned to leave

"Hey." Dara called out

"Try to keep your temper in check, ok. Even just for tonight." Seunghyun may have his doubts, and fate may not be their greatest ally but regardless what happens, regardless what the night has in store--- his faith lies with Dara. She will have to make certain decisions that may change their lives. If only he can spare her the tears.

"Jagiya." Jiyong began, his hands still on her shoulder. "Should I tell her now?" he asked himself." But she had that look again, one he rarely sees especially when she's looking at him, that of trust and deliverance. "Is it worth the risk?" he asked again. Fire, Dara’s fire he was reminded again.

"Good luck." he heard Seungri said earlier. Oh how he needs it.

 

 

A/N : When you fall and you fall hard. I can not promise no one gets hurt. Thanks for reading everyone.