Rolling Water

Reason Enough

 

Rolling Water

 

~~~~~~~~~~

Daesung’s encounter with his sister-in-law left quite an impression on him.  He was more than intrigued and a little more concerned than he thought he should be.  It was time for him to seek some answers on his own.   Daesung stepped into a make shift café not far from the set of the new Park commercial. He called his next best ally earlier, Park Bom. She was a tough nut to crack but being “almost-family” somehow leveled the field for him.

 

Bom raised her hand as greeting. “You are early.” She said.  Daesung leaned in for a greeting before he dropped himself on the settee. “Are those any good?”  He motioned at the peppered corn on her left. 

 

“Yes, that and their cultured milk tea. Go, get your own and please do get me some muffins from the main table will you?” she smiled.

 

It was what endeared her to him, her ability to make every command so polite and charming a trait so prominent from the Park side of the family. Jiyong is obviously teeming with it.

 

Daesung came back with a tray laden with food. “I am hungry.” He said.

 

“So it seems. “ She shrugged.  “So what brings you here?” she snatched the blueberry muffins off his tray.

 

“Sandara-ssi.”

 

“She isn’t here.” She bit off a chunk and started chewing.

 

“So is my brother.”

 

“But he will be.  Dara called to confirm.” She continued to munch.

 

“That I do not understand. Why would she set him up?  Jiyong’s mere presence can potentially destroy their marriage.  I have never seen such absolute disregard towards people’s emotion.”

 

“Are you worried?” she raised an eyebrow.  “If you are so sure about your brother’s loyalty then why worry?”

 

“Because he is family, like you are family. Jiyong is your cousin.  Don’t you think it is right for us to think about his welfare?” He leaned to his right, arms draped on the rest. “He was injured and in constant threat of bodily harm just because he married Sandara Park. You don’t think that is a valid concern?”

 

“That is a problem he brought upon himself.” She took the cup of coffee to her lips. “He did not have to but he insisted.”

 

“But is that reason enough?”

 

“What is?” a man in dark suit he recognized as Kim Jae Wook, the pastry chef, from last week joined them. He took the remaining seat between them facing the vast lawn of the polo club.  He noticed the furtive glances people throw their way. Kim Jae Wook after all was a famous racer before he retired, before that accident involving Seungri in Malaysia. The famous ex of Miss Mizuhara.

 

“My brother’s stubbornness.”

 

“You sound like we are deliberately leading him to peril.” Bom smiled when Jae Wook leaned in for a kiss.

 

 “No but you people are playing a game I don’t think my brother is aware of.” Daesung said without any reservation.

 

“I don’t know what you mean.” Jae Wook shrugged.

 

“Don’t you?”

 

Bom laughed. “You are being paranoid, Dae. We are family and we don’t play favorites.” She motioned towards the steps leading to where they are.

 

Daesung stared at the beautiful Kiko Mizuhara walking toward the stairs with an assistant trailing her with a huge My Melody doll in her arms.

 

“If we did…she wouldn’t even be here.” Bom looked at him. Unblinking.  “For all you know we may be doing all this for his own good.” 

 

Kiko looks so lovely with that taint of red on her lips, her hair coiffed in a chignon, her body garbed in a textured pink flowing dress. Pretty. Yes, she is, very.    No one would guess she gave birth once. He then thought of Angela, the small angel he once saw in Dara arms.  The tyke is bright, funny, loud and a bundle of questions and mischief. Like his brother.  Daesung frowned.

 

 

 “I am glad to see that you are beginning to connect some dots.” Bom smirked. “You see there are a lot of dots to connect.” Daesung was pale.

 

“It could be just a coincidence.” He turned to Jae Wook for confirmation instead he pushed the plate of sweets towards him. He grabbed one. He needed the sugar.

 

“You think?” Bom laughed without mirth. “We can always ask Kiko if you want.” She challenged.

 

“Daesung-ah.” They saw the model stop a couple of steps from them. She was smiling.

 

“You are here.” She was sincerely happy to see him. “It is good to see a friendly face.” She moved to look around. “Is Jiyong with you?”

 

“No.  He is probably on his way.” Probably.  But with the way Bom is smiling, he earnestly hopes that his brother changed his mind. Dear Lord, why is this happening?

 

“Bommie.” In turn she looked at Bom.

 

“Audrie-ssi.”  Bom gave her such a goofy smile. “ I can call you Audrie, can’t I?”

 

“Of course.” Kiko smiled in return. He turned to her assistant and took the huge toy from her. “I have something for Angela.  I heard from Jiyong she likes My Melody a lot, would you be so kind as to give this to her?”

 

“Not at all. Although, Jiyong is dropping by, you may want to give it to him.” Bom answered.

 

“Splendid. I think I just might do that.” She gave a curt nod and moved towards the vacant table.

 

“Audrie-ssi.” Bom called. “Can we ask you something about Angela?” Kiko stopped and turned to look at Bom. “We are currently at a deadlock.  Maybe you can help us.”

 

Kiko nods. “Why do you think Angela looks so much like Sandara?”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“You don’t have to go.”

 

“But I do and so do you.” She playfully slapped him on the shoulder. “Dad expects you to drop by the location today. It would be great if you can temper Bommie and prevent her from lashing on Kiko.”

 

“She wouldn’t.”

 

“Oh I would not put it past Bommie.” She gathered her coat and moved towards the door.

 

“Where are you going?” Jiyong practically dashed to block her exit.

 

“I told you I am seeing the boys. “ She glared at him as if they haven’t spent time talking about it.

 

“I said no.”

 

“It is as simple as me having lunch with them.  You don’t get to decide on it.” She tried to move past him.

 

“No.” Jiyong was serious.  She will not leave without him. “I am coming with you.” It was final. “We can just drop by the set later.” He took her bag off her hand and sauntered out of the room.

 

“Jiyong..” She was close to whining.  Darn, how she hates it. “ Tabi and Bae will be there.”

 

“I know.” He stopped right before the sofa. “That is why I am going with you.”

 

Dara unceasingly argued with her husband. Unceasingly so that when they arrived at the grounds of old Park, she was arguing still. “I am hungry, Jagiya.” Jiyong cuts through her tirade. “We might as well eat. “

 

Sandara let out a loud cry. So loud that the door opens and a cute fluffy bunny in pigtails flew at her but was caught by Jiyong.

 

“Appa.” The bunny squeals. She was wriggling, her feet swinging and her arms flailing.

 

“Baby, easy.” He peppered her with kisses. “ Mama is delicate.”

 

“Is she sick?” Angela swung her body to face her. “Mama, are you sick.” Her daughter was near tears, her arms clung around Jiyong.

 

Dara was still fuming when she refuse to look at her daughter. “No baby,” She managed to croak after several hungry breaths. “Mama is just upset.”

 

“Will my kisses make it go away?” Will her kisses make it go away? Will her kisses right the wrongs in her life? “I love you Mama.” A soft fluffy kiss landed on her cheek.

 

“I love you too, baby.” She kissed back. Jiyong smiled at her. Yes, her kisses blew the fire away.

 

 “And Appa too?” the child was expectant, wide-eyed and innocent.  How can you break a child’s heart?

 

“Since when did you start calling him Appa?” she asked instead.

 

“Many days ago.” The little girl swung her arms as if to motion time and space. “ Appa! Appa! Appa!” she bounced with every word. “I wanted to call him Appa and Grandpapa said that I can.” She smiled at Jiyong. “I love you. “ he mouthed.

 

“Me too.” She squealed. “And Mama too?” he was quick to say yes. “Mama did you hear that? Do you love my Appa too?” that again. Jiyong was seriously looking at her waiting…while she waited for someone to save her. But nobody came. The front door was ajar but nobody went outside to greet them apart from Angela. She saw some movement but that was it. Whoever it was chose to stay out of her business. She was on her own.

 

“Of course baby.” She refused to look at her husband. Instead, she focused on Angela.  “As much as you love Uncle Ri?” Seriously?!

 

“As much as you love him baby.” She smiled at her. Dara did a quick glance toward Jiyong.  He doesn’t look so happy. Dara reached out a hand to touch him. They’ve just made peace.

 

 “Now show me where everyone is.”

 

“Uncle Ri is at the door.” Angela screamed then burst out laughing. “Papa Bae and Daddy are inside with Grandpapa drinking bitter orange brew. Ewwww. “ she made a face.

 

Dara ruffled her hair and called. “Ri, why is everyone drinking so early?”

 

Jiyong watched as Seungri moved out of the door and tried to take Angela from him.  He refused.  He knew it was natural for him to go to Dara next.  It was habit. But a nagging feeling creep in every time he sees them together. He after all always considered Seungri as a player from the other team. And his temporary show of solidarity does very little in times like this. Bugger, he is one jealous git.

 

“You’re late.” Seungri bends to kiss Dara on the forehead.

 

“So?”

 

“Minzy dropped in to bring you your pre-natal meds from her clinic.   You forgot to tell everyone you were pregnant” Seungri smirked and pulled Dara into the house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:  First I would like to thank everyone for dropping by, for reading, for subscribing and for rovi_danes and irrie32 for the comments.   Second,  I was wondering how many people are lost with this story :) I would appreciate a show of hands. 

To clear some questions : Yes, this is still written under flashback. As I have mentioned previously, I am using flashback within a flashback most of the time. I tend to allude instead of state things directly because I want everyone to come up with their version of things.  Not everyone has the same thought patterns,  imagine this as a rumor wherein the reader is the only person aware of certain things. We make our own judgement based on how little we know.

No, I can't answer whether Tabi is the reader of the letter.  I thought so at first, but then as I have mentioned on the foreword I may be taking a different trajectory on this from my original story.  It all depends on what happened in the past. 

As for Seungri, he may have his own set of secrets.  I don't know.  I don't know everything.

I hope to read from you guys.

Love,

Chen