Turn Table

Reason Enough

Chapter 23

Turn Table

 

 

It was a good 60 minutes or was it 10 before Seunghyun stirred. He merely looked at her, his face as blank as the shirt he was wearing. He moved a hand to signal at the bar. A glass filled with a green concoction arrived. It was soda water with lime, a signature drink Dara served to all the regulars that had to drive themselves home. It used to be refreshing, but tonight it tasted purely of lime. He pulled himself from the table...no use thinking about it now. The situation needs to be simplified. starting immediately.

"What exactly do you wish to accomplish after all these Kiko? Enlighten me."

“Aren't you even going to ask how I am?”

"No. because I stopped caring about you a long time ago." he answered. "Jiyong on the other hand is a totally different animal. He obviously cares for you. He took the risk on you. Stood by you…And defended you. But what did you do?" He put the glass down.

" Again, enlighten me, because I am missing it by a thousand miles."

"I want to see Angela."

"I heard you. And the answer is no."

" I am her mother."

"You ceased to be a long time ago. You left my daughter at the gates of the orphanage on a cold drizzling night. What you did was cruel. You can't just come back and make demands as if we did you an injustice. To me and to Angela, Dara is her mother. The rest of the world can screw themselves."

"Jerk." she spat.

"And what does that make you?" he dropped his voice so that only Kiko may hear.

She blanched.

"You just love her still." she accused.

"I am stubborn like that." he nods "And yet everything I said is true. Instead of moving on, you retraced your steps back. Somebody failed to grow up."

"Did you ever love me?"

"Of course I did. Not in the same way I love Tokki. But I did."

"Liar!"

"Pot calling the kettle black." he smirked.

"Don't be like this Seunghyun."

"Damn it Kiko! She can sleep with every other man in this city and I would still worship the ground she walks on. Goodness! I have strayed but here I am still, with her. “  He breathes, it was long and drawn out..  “I am tired. And my patience ebbs. I did not come here so we can start calling each other names. I may have not loved you the way you wanted me to and Jiyong refuses to love you back but the rest of the world dots on you. You just have to orbit a different universe." Seunghyun rose. "Away from me, Angela and Sandara. I don’t care how you do it.  Just move on Kiko...and keep moving."

"Tabi." she held on to his arm.

" If there is one thing Dara taught me, it would have to be this. Love, you see cannot be bought, coerced, forced or manipulated. It should be given freely." He looked at her pointedly.

"I thought that was your reason for leaving and somehow hoped your reason for coming back."
He smiled without mirth "I was wrong."

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

This part has been played out way too many times in her lifetime but she never ceased to find herself in such a scenario. Seungri handed her a glass of water as she parked herself by the window yet again. Waiting? There is no one to wait for anymore. Watching? There is nothing to see. She just sat there still, out of habit.

Her conversation with Jiyong lasted longer than she expected. Heck! It felt longer than her marriage. For the most part she was successful in ignoring the small voice that wanted her to forgive him. The bruise on his chest looked painful, it was dark and purple and his lips were cut. His eyes glistened with desperation. The once proud man was on his knees. She was beginning to feel sorry for him and it made her angrier. He did not deserve this, not from anyone and neither does she. Bae is right; she married him, in spite of Kiko, not to spite her. She must learn to forgive, as soon as her wound heals.

As soon as she can tell which hurts the most.

"I am tired." It was a statement. A fact. She needed a respite from everything  from everyone and maybe from herself.

Seungri lifted her from her chair without a word. There was no reason to stay, tomorrow is a new day. She will start over.

She couldn't remember sleeping but a soft shake awoken her.

"Bae..." she mumbled.

"Mama!" It was Angela in a pretty blue dress and pigtails. She held a beautifully made bouquet. It smelled glorious. If anyone needed proof that a child can do miracles, they should try one of this child's embraces.

"Ma.." Angela wiped some of the stray tears on her mother's face. “I love you.”

Dara was surprised to find that she was crying. "Thank you." she buried her face on to the flowers. Recuperation can be a .

"Pa..."Angela turned towards Youngbae.

He smiled. "Get up. We're leaving" he poured himself a glass of water.

Angela was quick to grab the glass with both hands and stood in front of her mother.

Dara nearly jumped. With arms around her flowers, her scream was deafening. Angela dumped the ice cold content on Dara’s chest.

"Feeling down still?” He was laughing “That should wake you up.” He threw her a towel."Fix yourself. My brother is waiting."