Green tea and Lemon

Reason Enough

Chapter 5

Green tea and Lemon

Seungri informed her that Jiyong will be joining them for dinner. She tried to argue, oh yes she did. She felt that it was too early for all four of them to be together in one place, especially to have dinner.

 

Seungri assured her that it has to happen soon so better now at their own accord than forced later in front of everybody. Besides, Park Corporation will soon feel the presence of Kwon Jiyong. She might as well make the transition as painless as possible. She wasn't really sure if she's ok with it though and nothing prepared her for this.

 

There by the entrance were Seungri and Jiyong. Some of the loyal patrons greeted and exchanged pleasantries with Seungri. He even introduced some of them to Jiyong.

"It is just natural." She told herself. Sure natural, for him to meet her friends, mingle with her crowd and invade her whole life. She suddenly felt a little cramped. She tried to veer away from the scene when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Great view from up here." Said Youngbae. "There is no use running away now. They are here. If I were you I'd go downstairs and greet them.”

"Really? Why don't you do just that while I light some candles?" She winked. She hoped to survive the night. She knew that when the time comes that she will look back after all of this had passed; she just might it funny and laughs --- only if she survives.

"Dara , we have a problem." Somebody called.

"Oooh. Not now." She groaned.

The whole place is illuminated by hanging lights, candles and oil lanterns. Paintings and photographs adorned the walls, most of which are Dara's work Seungri informed him. He can smell the delicate scent of roses that adorn every table.

"What happened to your neck? He heard Seungri asked.

"Santokki s got hold of me. It's a good thing you weren't there, that rabbit got really sharp teeth." The man replied

"Thank goodness...Youngbae I would like you to meet Kwon Jiyong." Seungri said.

"Of course, of Kwon Shipping." Youngbae smiled and shook his hand.

" Jiyong. This is Choi Youngbae " Seungri continued.

"Finally, we meet. I believe we share something in common" He replied in greeting.

“Well I don’t know about sharing but we certainly have someone in common.” Youngbae replied.


Then everything seemed to stop. Jiyong did. He felt the urge to turn and look up. There she was oblivious to the lights that shine on her. Dara garbed in a long black top with bold red and white floral print and worn jeans is seated on top a black box holding a microphone. Then softly she started to sing.


I met you just tonight
But I keep wond'rin' why
It seems I've always known you all my life
I held you only once
But I keep wond'rin' why
It seems I held you forever


Can it be true?
Could I be wrong?
That somewhere in my past
I fell in love with you

"Pinch-hitting for Bom, again?" Seungri greets with a hug

" Only for that song... she's stuck in traffic." she shrugged, then she turned to face Jiyong.

"Hello!" She said. Damn, she practiced it all night and that is all she managed to say. If this is Seungri's idea of a joke, how come she isn't laughing? But truth is, she is too nervous to say anything else.

"Hi." he replied giving her a peck on the cheek. "I hope you don't mind that I joined you guys tonight." Jiyong said

"Not at all." She can't believe herself. Did she just tell him she doesn't mind? Is she really ok about it? Yes. She told herself. But before she decides to change her mind, she turned sharply towards Seungri. She wanted to cry.

"I think It would be best if we take our seats, I'm famished” Seungri declared taking her by the shoulder.

"Me too." Youngbae seconded.

" I hope you're ok with fish and calamares." Dara addressed Jiyong once seated.

"My favorite. I am not really fond of beef.” He replied

"Neither is she." Youngbae remarked.

Seungri was beginning to feel comfortable that he began to smile, and then he felt a sharp kick on his shin.

"You are driving. You are having green tea and lemon. I had enough stress for tonight that nobody is drinking alcohol." She announced

"How do you like a dictator for a wife Jiyong? Seungri teased.

"How would you like to die now, Mr. Lee?" Dara glared with fork in hand.

Amused at the banter Jiyong replied, " I don't mind being conquered."

"Good luck then." Seungri said " She's violent!" he added now laughing.

"I learned from the best." She countered throwing a brocolli at him.

Youngbae gave out a hearty laugh. "I missed this." He said.

"Yes, me too." Seungri agreed.

"And I missed my Tabi too." Dara said pointedly staring directly into Youngbae's eyes. They both knew it was true.

"Easy...you're getting married soon." Youngbae replied.

"Aaw..common. A lady needs all the servants she can get.” She laughed before taking a bite off a calamari.

That night, he saw her laugh, clap her hands together in glee and occasionally hug somebody whenever she feels so elated. Yes, she seems to be really happy. Extremely happy. Would she be this happy still once they get married? He wondered

 

 

 

~~~***~~~

 

 

 

"Jiyong will bring you home tonight." Youngbae told her as they reach the parking lot.

"But I came with you. She objected pulling on his jacket sleeves.

"Just give him a chance. Both of you need to get used to this. I need to get used to this..." He said seriously "Now, behave yourself. ok?"

"Do I have a choice?" she muttered. "Wait, don't I get a kiss? She asked solemnly.

He chuckled. "Of course" he kissed her on both cheek.

"I love you." She whispered.

" and I love you more."

"No, you don't." she said then turned towards Seungri.

"Take care, ok? And dream of me."Seungri smiled as he kissed her.

"Please" she pleaded. "Stay away from my dreams, both of you" she said and turned to join Jiyong .

"Dara... Jiyong called.

"I don't feel like going home yet.” She said.

"Neither do I... where do you want to go?" he asked

"Polonia." She laughed wryly.

 

 

 

~~~~***~~~~

 

 

 

They found themselves parked just a few meters away from the orphanage. Polonia to her and to several others, her world of make-believe and would be realities.

"I guess, my story starts here.. and hopefully it ends elsewhere." She said as if talking to herself, and then she stirred. "Why don't you tell me about yourself?" She opened a can of soda and handed it to him along with a still warm sandwich courtesy of the nearby deli.

"I lived in here in Seoul for a while before we moved to Osaka when I was 12. My grandparents were the ones who brought me up. Four years ago, we saw an article about your family. I thought that it was strange how my mother reacted to it; she was just staring at me. When my grandfather started port operations in Busan then in Incheon, meeting my father became inevitable. I meet him over a year ago." He narrates. She smiled at him when he took a bite off his sandwich. He looks like your regular guy.

"Over a year ago? But Mom said they only met you two months ago.” She picked a potato wedge and started munching on it.

He gave a soft chuckle and wiped the edge of her lips. “I met them formally two months ago, but I saw your Dad last year. It was a gala event held at the Marina. I saw you there too. “

“You did?” She arched her brow.

“You were beautiful.” He nods “very beautiful.”

Dara cleared . ”Do you have any other blood relative?" It was a pretty obvious attempt to change the subject but she did not care. They were talking about him.

"A half-brother." He smiled.

"I see. Are you guys close?” She asked curiously.

“Yes, very. You’ll meet him soon. You’ll like him.” He assured.

“I sometimes wonder how it feels like to have blood relations.”

"but you already have a family." He said.

"My whole life was loaned. My name. My family. My father turns out to be yours. I don’t really have anything that is mine."

“You can. We can start one.” He stared at her…intently.

“Everyone leaves. Eventually, everyone did.” She shrugged.

"Sandara.."

"So if one day, you decide that you want to live your own life. Just tell me, I'll understand. Just let me know first." She tried to smile, oh yes she did but it felt a little lopsided.

"You seem to have decided the fate of this relationship." He said.

"I just don't believe in forever, anymore."

They both heard a soft tap on the windshield. "Dara, what are doing here?" asked the middle-aged guard.

"Hey sir.." she saluted. "I was just telling him about my boring life. Jiyong I would like you meet Manuel the King of the orphanage grounds."

"Both of you should get going, its late." Manuel said.

"It's Friday." She objected.

"Still you need to sleep." He egg on.

"And you need to retire don't strain yourself too much. Ok?” She handed him a basket she brought from the restaurant. “Midnight snacks. “ She winked “Bye."

And as the car drove slowly pass the gate; she resisted the urge to look back. It has been years since she played on the grounds, years since the last time Manuel reprimanded her. Years since she called it home. Home maybe she needs to find home soon.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a/n : Thank you everyone for reading :)  Thank you for leaving your comments as well.