Chapter 40

Donghaerella

 

Eunhyuk could feel someone holding his hand as he began to wake up.

The smell of disinfectant was strong.

His right arm felt numb and he couldn’t breathe through his nose that well.

Slowly opening his eyes, he realised he was in a hospital.

“Hyukjae?”

Looking down, he saw that it was his father holding his hand.

“Dad…” Eunhyuk replied with a hoarse voice.

His dad pressed a button on the wall to get the nurses attention.

Not long after a doctor walked in with a chart.

“Lee Hyukjae. I’m glad to see you are awake. Are you in pain?”

“No…I feel a bit fuzzy.”

“That is the painkillers. Do you remember what happened?” the Doctor asked.

Eunhyuk’s dad squeezed his hand to encourage him to answer.

“I think so.”

“Ok. You have a broken nose so you will find it difficult to breathe for a couple of days. Your shoulder was dislocated. We put it back in place but you will need to attend some physiotherapy to get your arm back up to the standard you are used to. You have some bruising on your stomach but luckily there is no internal damage. You have a concussion from being hit on the head. We want to keep you in for the night to keep an eye on you and we will see how much you’ve improved tomorrow afternoon. I would like you to stay in bed to rest. The police want to question you about what happened. Shall I send them in now? Do you have any other questions?”

“How is Donghae?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I’m afraid I can’t give you any information about him as you are not related.” The Doctor answered.

“Please, he’s my boyfriend.”

Eunhyuk ignored the gasp that came from his father and didn’t look away from the doctor.

“I still shouldn’t tell you, but I can let you know that he is just out of surgery for his ankle.”

“Thank you.” Eunhyuk said relaxing a little in his bed. “Oh… he has an uncle that will be worried. I think his name is Hodong.”

The doctor nodded and left the room.

Hyuk ignored the questioning look that his father gave him and waited for the police to question him.

Hyuk explained what happened; how he left work and was ambushed when he arrived at the house. He wasn’t sure who called the police. The last thing he remembered was seeing Kangin and Siwon fall down the stairs.

Just before the police left after getting Eunhyuk’s statement, he called out to them.

“I think they’ve been hurting him for a while.”

The police thanked him for his information and left.

“Hyukjae…” his father began.

“Please. Not now. I’m tirend.”

 

The next time Hyuk woke up there was a nurse in the room checking up on him.

“Oh hello dear, sorry if I woke you.”

“It’s fine. Do you know where my dad went?” Hyuk asked looking at the empty chair his dad had been occupying previously.

The nurse handed him a glass of water.

“Drink up. I sent him home a few hours ago to get some sleep. You slept soundly all last night and this morning. I told him I will contact him when you wake up.”

“It’s the day after?” Eunhyuk asked confused.

“Yes. It’s just coming up to 1pm. The pain killers tend to take it out of you.”

“Is Donghae awake?”

“Tha is the boy with the broken ankle that came in with you?”

Hyuk nodded.

“He is. And he is ignoring the nurses and wondering about. He was in here earlier a couple of times.”

“Can I go see him?”

The nurse sighed.

“You know you aren’t supposed to, but I guess you will just ignore mine and the doctors orders like the other boy. I will get someone to come and take you to him.”

“Thank you.” Eunhyuk smiled at the nurse.

“But you can’t stay long. The doctor will be around soon on his rounds so he wont be happy seeing you up out of bed.”

“Understood.”

It took a few minutes for someone to come and get him and help him through his dizziness to sit in the wheelchair.

Donghae’s room howver was empty.

The man pushing him around left him in the room as he went to find Donghae.

Eventually he came back and took Eunhyuk to another room.

Donghae was also in a wheelchair.

He was holding onto the hand of the person lying in a bed.

Siwon.

He had many pipes around him. One of them went into his mouth to help him breathe.

“Donghae…” Eunhyuk said.

Dongae turned around at the call of his name.

“Hyuk!” he smiled.

Donghae’s face was badly bruised.

Only one of his eyes were open and his lips had a few cuts.

It hurt Eunhyuk to see the damage that Kangin had done on his boyfriend that he couldn’t prevent.

Hyuk thought of many things to say to his boyfriend, but he forgot them all as soon as he saw his face.

The man pushing him left him a short distance away from Donghae.

“I will be back in 5 minutes.” He said then left.

“I’m … I’m so sorry.” Hyuk sobbed moving his good hand to cover his face.

“Hyukkie, don’t cry.” Donghae said stoking Eunhyuk’s knee. “It’s not your fault; you have nothing to say sorry for.”

That made Eunhyuk cry even harder.

“But I couldn’t protect you.”

“No one can control Kangin so there was nothing you could do.” Donghae reassured him.

“How do you feel?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I’m fine. Not too much pain. I will be on crutches for a while though. How are you Hyukkie? I went into your room twice today and you were sleeping. Actually, you shouldn’t be out of bed!”

“Neither should you.” Eunhyuk said with a small smile wiping away the last of his tears.

Donghae laughed.

It was good to see that Donghae could still laugh after all that happened.

“What’s wrong with him?” Hyuk said gesturing to Siwon.

Donghae was still holding onto one of Siwon’s hands.

“Well, he broke a couple of his ribs when he fell down the stairs and he… he cracked part of his skull. They think that happened when he landed at the bottom. He’s in a coma now and they said it could take a few days for him to wake.”

Donghae looked really concerned for him.

“He helped us Hyuk.”

Eunhyuk held onto Donghae’s hand that was still on his knee.

“And Kangin?”

“He is in jail. He only had a few bumps and bruises. Yeon Jae is trying to get him out.”

“Donghae!” a voice shouted from the door.

Donghae’s uncle was standing in the doorway.

“What happened? I took the first flight over as soon as I found out. I was so worried.”

He walked up to Donghae and gently brought him into a hug trying to be careful not to hurt him.

“Uncle Hodong.” Donghae said.

Eunhyuk could see that Donghae was about to cry.

As if on queue, the man came back in to take Eunhyuk back to his room.

                                                                           

Hodong got more angry as Donghae told him what happened.

He was not one to normally get angry.

He always knew there was something wrong with Kangin. Kangin tended to have a short fuse and held in his anger whenever he was around him.

He was grateful for Siwon helping his nephew.

He took Donghae back to his room and made him go to sleep so he could recover more.

Finally when Donghae fell asleep he took out his phone to call Yeon Jae.

“Where are you?” he demanded.

“I am talking to the police trying to sort out this mess your nephew caused.” She shouted at him.

“That Donghae caused?” he hissed trying not to be too loud. “It was your son that beat up Donghae and his friend. He left your other son in a coma for gods sake. You should be here at the hospital by his side as he seems to be the only thing that is good in your family.”

“Oh shut up you old man. Kangin is a good son. I am worried about Siwon, don’t you dare act like I am not. There is nothing I can do to help him at the moment so I am helping my other where I can.”

“I can’t believe my brother in law married you and thought you would be a good mother for Donghae. I will make sure Kangin gets what he deserves. Donghae will not be coming back to you.”

Hodong swiftly hung up before Yeon Jae could talk back to him.

He pulled the blanket up around Donghae more to make sure he was warm enough.

He sat down on the chair in the room and looked through his contacts and called his firms lawyer.

 

Eunhyuk was released from hospital the day after, but he never went home till the nurses forced him to. He wanted to stay with Donghae as much as possible so he was never alone.

Donghae was then released the day after that, but he and Eunhyuk stayed by Siwon’s bedside.

Yeon Jae still hadn’t come either of those days to visit Siwon.

Hodong was busy with a lawyer trying to sort out getting custody of Donghae. He wanted to make sure he would not be made to go back under Yeon Jae’s care even though there was only 4 months till Donghae's birthday where Donghae would be considered an adult and is able to live on his own.

Eunhyuk was sitting in the only chair in Siwon’s room and Donghae was sitting comfortably on his lap. Eunhyuk kept his good arm around Donghae’s waist to keep him in place.

Sometimes neither of them said anything; they just enjoyed eachothers presence as they watched over Siwon

Eunhyuk placed some kisses on Donghae’s cheek every now and then receiving little giggles from the boy on top of him.

“I’m glad you are ok Hae.” Hyuk said breaking the silence.

“You too Hyukkie. I’m happy you stayed with me even after my family have hurt you.” Donghae said turning himself slightly to get a better look at Eunhyuk.

“Nothing could take me away.” Hyuk smiled leaning in close to Donghae’s face.

“You are so cheesey.” Donghae remarked leaning in too, staring at Hyuk’s lips.

Lips met lips.

It was the first proper kiss they had shared since the accident.

Both relaxed into the kiss enjoying the feel of each other that they had missed.

Nothing else seemed important right now.

“Ew cover your eyes.”

Both kissing boys jumped and broke the kiss.

In the doorway stood Kyuhyun covering Sungmin’s eyes from the sight, Hodong was standing there smiling and Eunhyuk’s dads face was bright red.

Eunhyuk cleared his throat thanking the gods that the kiss wasn’t too intimate for Donghae to die of embarrassment.

“Hi guys…”

 

 

 

Eunhyuk’s dad was completely fine with his son being gay. He was more annoyed at the fact that Hyuk had never told him that the girlfriend he was led to believe he had was actually a boyfriend.

He really liked Donghae though, minus the whole ‘your-stepbrother-nearly-killed-my-son’ thing.

He could see that he had Eunhyuk happy and that was all that mattered.

Hodong had rented a house for him and Donghae to live in.

Hodong won the battle over Donghae’s custody.

To be honest, Yeon Jae hadn’t put up that much of an effort to keep Donghae.

In the end the judge could see how much Donghae had been neglected in the household. He commented on the lack of Yeon Jae’s care not just for Donghae but also Siwon. The doctor in charge of Siwon and Donghae had mentioned that Yeon Jae had come in only once to enquire Siwon’s condition and she hadn’t come back since. She never asked how Donghae was doing when he was admitted.

Because Hodong worked all around the place, there was issues with Donghae going into his care.

Hodong had managed to get his boss to let him work from one of the companies in the area for the next few months so he would be in one place to be there for Doonghae.

 

Donghae and Eunhyuk continued to visit Siwon.

He had finally been taken off the breathing tube so he was breathing on his own know. But he still hadn’t woken up.

Because Kangin was already 18, he was tried as an adult.

Kangin was charged with 2 cases of grievous bodily harm and a case of attempted .

The whole court process took a long time.

Yeon Jae had changed lawyers for Kangin a couple of times as she deemed that their solutions were not good enough for her son.

 

Siwon woke up 2 months after.

He didn’t remember much of what happened.

Donghae was over the moon to see him with his eyes open and talking.

Siwon couldn’t explain how sorry he was for how he had treated Donghae.

He was jealous of how happy Donghae was even with all the hell he had been put through.

He cried as Donghae told him he was forgiven.

When he was discharged from hospital he moved out of the house.

 

The biggest surprise was revealed when Donghae turned 18.

Hodong threw a little party for Donghae. Eunhyuk, his dad, Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Siwon had been invited - Siwon hadn’t been able to come as he was now overseas going around religious camps.

A man arrived at the door with an envelope for Donghae.

In side was two more envelopes.

One was a letter addressed to Donghae.

Dear Donghae.

You are a man now. I’m sorry I couldn’t be here on your birthday to celebrate with you.

I’m sorry I got sick so I couldn’t be there for you when you needed me.

It was one of my dreams to see you graduate and become a world famous dancer – or even like the ones we used to watch  on tv.

I hope you still cook all your favourite dishes because you need to use the skill your mother passed down to you.

It hurts me that neither of us got to watch you become a man.

I hope Yeon Jae was a good match for a parent for you. I didn’t want you to grow up alone so I hope you like your new brothers.

You better not cry too much reading this as I know you also got your mothers soft side.

Enclosed is my will.

I wish you the best in life my little Hae.

You will be a good father and husband.

I love you, now and forever.

Dad

Donghae was crying silently.

The man, who they found out was a lawyer, was instructed to give Donghae this envelope on his birthday.

“I thought there was no will.” Hodong said to the man.

“I don’t know much about the case, I’m only doing what I was told to, sorry.”

Donghae opened the other envelope.

He was left everything.

The money, the house, his father’s car.

It was all his.

 

The first thing Hodong advised Donghae to do was cut off Yeon Jae from the money.

Donghae did.

He sent some money off to Siwon though as Yeon Jae had practically disowned him.

He let Yeon Jae keep the house.

She was furious about it all though. She too had believed that there was no will.

Donghae had let Hodong know that he would get his own place so he didn’t have to be held back from his work anymore.

He even asked Eunhyuk if he wanted to move in with him.

 

 

Donghae and Eunhyuk were both smiling as they unpacked all their boxes.

They got an apartment. It wasn’t a very big one as Donghae didn’t want to have a big house again.

Eunhyuk was sorting out the bedroom as Donghae cooked some food for them.

Hyuk’s phone rang.

“Hello?”

“How’s it going?” Kyu asked.

“Not bad, almost finished unpacking.”

“Looking forward to graduation tomorrow?”

“Of course.”

“How’s your little housewife?”

“He’s great.” Eunhyuk smiled. “Are you nervous about telling Sungmin about the secret vacation you planned?”

“I’ve pictured it going wrong in my head so many times.” Kyuhyun whined.

Eunhyuk burst out laughing.

“Hyukkie, dinner is ready.” Donghae shouted from the kitchen.

“Gotta go, food time.” Hyuk said.

“Right, see you tomorrow morning bright and early.” Kyu said then hung up.

Donghae had made spaghetti bolognese.

“I made it because it was our first meal together and its are first one in this house.” Donghae said smiling.

Can he be any cuter? Eunhyuk thought.

Eunhyuk smiled at him and held onto his face and planted a kiss on his lips.

“You are perfect.”

 

 

The end.

________________________________________________________

guys....

i never thought i would actually finish this story....

im not happy with the ending as i at ending things....

BUT

thank you SO much for reading this.

thank you for all the comments, all the upvotes and the subscriptions.

Ive enjoyed reading your comments and i remember the names of the first few people who subscribed.

I am shocked at the number who subscribed...so again thank you

seriosuly,

thank you