Chapter 3

Donghaerella

(AN: oh my! thank you so much for the subscribing and the kind comments. i know im not a writer so honestly it means so much to me :') )

Donghae waited outside the door.

"Come in." A voice called from inside.

Donghae balanced the breakfast tray in one hand and pushed down the door handle. Once in, he set the tray down on the table by the door and went over to the curtains to open them to let some light into the room. He picked up the tray again and carried it over to the bed as Yeon-Jae was sitting up. When she was comfortable he placed it on her lap.

"Good morning umma" he said bowing.

Yeon-Jae insisted that he called her umma so it would look good around her friends. However Kangin did not like Donghae calling his mother 'umma'. Kangin did not protest out in the public and the term, it was when they were alone that Donghae often received a couple of punches to the gut.

Yeon-Jae just mmm'd in reply. She unfolded the newspaper and began to look at it.

"Do you have a job yet?" she asked him.

"Yes. I start tomorrow. It will be in the mini-mart around the corner."

"How much is the pay?" she said looking at him.

Donghae knew the answer but he had to be careful. How was he meant to be able to save up of she knew the exact wage?

"I dont know yet. It will be discussed tomorrow."

"Make sure you let me know then. You can go."

Donghae bowed again and left the bedroom. He looked out the window and saw that Siwon's car was gone. He knew he was going to be late for school. He ran to his room and quickly grabbed his school bag and left the house via the kitchen and taking an apple for his lunch. Donghae had no money for a bus which would get him to school only 5 minutes late. But today he had to run to school.

-

Donghae arrived 15 minutes late. The halls were empty and it was quite. He had to go to the school reception to get a late form. The school fully knows that Donghae travels with his 2 step-brothers to school and if Donghae is late its because he has slept in. He sends his brothers on ahead so they wont get in trouble too. Donghae was well rehearsed in giving out this false story.

"This is your 3rd strike for this term. Here is a detention form for later on today."

Donghae didnt show any facial expression as he was handed the forms. He had lost count on how many detentions he had received for 'sleeping in'.

He went to his class and excused himself for being late and gave the teacher the late form. He quickly went to his desk beside his one and only friend Sungmin.

Sungmin gave him a questioning look and Donghae mouthed I will tell you later.

-

Finally it was lunch time.

Sungmin and Donghae where in their usual spot in one of the dance practice rooms. Normally all the students ate in the canteen, but Siwon and Kangin had forbid Donghae from going there. Donghae knew better than to disagree with them. But he didnt have to suffer alone as Sungmin stood by him.

Sungmin was a really kind boy. He had been there for Donghae since he moved to the area 4 years ago. He had noticed how his step-brothers bullied Donghae behind his father's back. Although Sungmin couldnt do anything about the bullying, Donghae always told him that being his friend was enough.

"Nice hair." Donghae told his friend.

"Really? You think so?" Sungmin said running his hand through it. It was now died a bright blond instead of the usual black.

"Yeah, it makes you look even cuter Minnie."

"I wasnt going for cute." He replied pouting. Donghae just laughed at him and ruffled his hair.

"How come you were late this time Hae?" Min asked while taking his lunch out of his bag.

"I woke Kangin up to early so he made Siwon not give me a lift." Hae sighed.

"Well he does need his beauty sleep." Min replied seriously.

Both of them laughed at that. Donghae pulled out his apple from his bag and began to eat it. Sungmin sighed and divided his lunch in half and gave some to Donghae.

He accepted it greatfully without complaint. In the past when Donghae refused Sungmin tended to tackle him down and try and shove food into his mouth so he would eat to save himself from wasting away. They ate in silence. There was only 10 minutes till the end of lunch.

"Looking forward to work tomorrow?" He asked Donghae as he was walking over to the CD player.

"Yeah, I gues. It saves me from being in the house as long. But I will have to do my chores before and after work."

Donghae checked the CD that was in the machine. He was happy with it and pressed play. He walked into the middle of the room and began to dance.

Dancing and Sungmin were the only things in the world that made him feel free. He didnt have to worry about his evil step-mother or the wrath of his step-brothers. His body flowed with the music. With every beat.

Sungmin was always in awe when he watch Hae dance. He was jealous at his skill but he was happy that Donghae always looked content when he danced.

The track ended.

"You know, you should really join the dance team." Sungmin pointed out.

Donghae sighed. "We both know I dont have the time Minnie."

Sungmin was about to protest but then the bell rang signalling the end of lunch.

-

The rest of the day went smoothly. He didnt bump into Siwon or Kangin. During his detention he was able to catch up on some work he didnt understand and do his homework.

Once dismissed Donghae sighed in disappointment. It's the weekend. Normally everyone would be happy with this. But for Donghae it just meant he had to be at home where he could be ambushed any second with a fist, a snide remark, an order etc, etc, etc. Although the prospect of working gave him some hope.

He ran back home so he wouldnt be too late.

Donghae was forbidden from using the front door since his father died. He always used the door leading into the kitchen.

It was 5:45pm by the time he got home. Hae knew he had to start the dinner straight away then to make sure it was ready for 6:30pm. He closed the back door quietly to try and hide the fact that he was late.

"Why are you late?" A voice called out from the darkness.

(AN: im sorry to say the story wont be updated as regularly till around the end of january as i have exams :( )