Chapter 9

Opposing Elements

Chapter 9

 

Im Yoona was finally dispatched was the infirmary. Although her upper body was still covered with bandaged, which made her look like a mummy. She joined her comrades into the training area to greet the new recruits. The senior officers took out their keys to open a portal and go home. When they turned the key a bright light appeared an outline a door. Jessica turned the knob and one by one the new recruits walked into the light to go into the main headquarters.


When all the new recruits walked in, Yoona and the others followed.

Once they were transported back to headquarters Taeyeon, Jessica and Tiffany guided the new recruits to get evaluated by the boss. Sunny went back to her dorm to take a shower leaving Yoona and Yuri in the main lobby. The two of them took turns glancing at each other, but remained silent.

"Yoona, would you... like to go.. uh.. walk around the mall with me?" Yuri asked Yoona while stuttering.

"Uhm.. sure?" Yoona replied.

The two of them walked around the shopping center just windowing shopping, neither of them tried to start a 
conversation. Suddenly the two heard really loud and fast foot steps. Yoona turned around and was surprised by her shikshin best friend jumping her with a hug. 

"YOOOOONG!!!! I missed you so much!! Evil bosses made me file papers for 3 days!!" Sooyoung screamed while hugging Yoona and having an extremely exaggerated flowing of tears seeing her best friend. 

"Gah!!! Yah!! Choi Sooyoung!! How many times have I told you NOT to do this?? Now get off of my before I send you flying!!" Yoona screamed while ready to kick Sooyoung and send her flying to Japan. 

"Sorry!" Sooyoung got off Yoona while the latter started brushing off the dust that covered her.

Yuri remained silent seeing the best friends. No matter how many times she's seen their interaction she is still 
surprised at how close the two are.

"Shikshin, you are being too dramatic. Filing papers isn't that bad. Geez. And I think you opened up my wound.. ouch" Yoona was clenching onto her injured shoulder.

"I'm sorry Yoong!!" Sooyoung gave her best friend a bear hug.

"Omgi- Owwww.... Let go of me!!!" Yoona was trying her best to get her gigantic best friend off her,

"Sooyoung- ssi. You're hurting Yoona" Yuri walked up to break the two and saw to Yoona who was panting.

"Are you okay Yoona?" Yuri asked very worriedly.

"Y- Yeah."

"Oh hi Yuri!" Sooyoung gave the black pearl a smile.

"Hi Sooyoung. How are you doing?" Yuri asked and returned the smile.

"I'm good. I actually have a mission later as a platoon leader. I'll be gone for a few days. Just wanted to say hi to my best friend at least. I'm leaving to Italy" 

"I think you meant KILL your best friend" Yoona said with a scowl.

"Aha... Sorry Yoong. Okay.. I have to leave.. Bye Bye!! Don't over work yourself" Soyoung gave her best friend a peck on the cheek and ran off to meet her platoon.

"You too Shikshin!!! Be safe. You still owe me dinner!!" Yoona screamed then gave a small smile. As much as 
Sooyoung annoyed her, she was still her best friend. 

"Yoona do you want to go back to our room? I think you should rest a bit. I'll go buy us some food. What do you want?" Yuri asked the doed eye girl. 

"Oh.. uhm... some kimbap will be nice. T- Thank you" Yoona was scratching the back of her head.

"Okay!" Yuri walked towards the food court while Yoona walked back to the direction of their dorm.

Why are you being so nice to me Yuri?

~~

Sooyoung and her platoon boarded their flight to Rome. Sooyoung took one last look at her phone's wallpaper before turning off her phone. She smiled seeing the picture of her and her best friend. The picture had Sooyoung smiling brightly and grabbing her best friend's neck with her arm, while Yoona was showing her usual scowl. 

Hah, Yoong. It's been 10 years huh? 

Sooyoung turned off her phone and dozed off to sleep. The platoon had about 6 elementists and 8 searchers. Their mission is to go to Rome and investigate the strange activities there. Apparently there have been reports of people missing and leaving behind all their clothes almost as if they evaporated. 

When the plane finally landed. Sooyoung and her comrades walked to the location of the strange activities.

Why do I have such an ominous feeling?

The area was completely deserted. Not a soul in town. Not one form of life, no civilians, just the occasional crows.

"Everyone stay close. It's too dangerous. Do not go off on your own. Since there are 15 of us. We will have 3 groups of 4 and one group of 3. Each group will need at least 1 elementist. Okay.. Hyoyeon and Simon. You two will follow me. That leaves 5 other elementists. and 7 searches. Divide amongst yourselves. Hyoyeon, Simon and I will search around the area. Scream into the communications device if you discover anything or encounter anything dangerous." 

After finishing giving instructions Sooyoung and her group walked to their first destination, a school. The inside was completely untouched, foggy and quiet. It looked like a scene from a bad horror movie or video game. The quiet was ironically deafening for Sooyoung. Although she had people with her, she still felt like she was alone, like she was being watched. Sooyoung always enjoyed going on missions, but only when her best friend is with her. When Yoona is with her Sooyoung feels safer. 

"Sooyoung-ssi" Hyoyeon started to talk.

"Just call me Sooyoung" The tall leader interrupted.

"Oh.. sorry.. Uhm.. Sooyoung"

"Yeah?" 

"I think I'm just being paranoid, but I feel like.. we're being watched"

"Don't think too much Hyoyeon." Sooyoung said in hopes of calming Hyoyeon down. Even though she has been feeling that since she got here. 

"Sorry..."

The 3 continued their investigation of the school. The deeper they walked into the school, the more intense and scared the group got. They felt the pressure as if they were swallowed up by the sea and being dragged deeper and deeper into the ocean.

Damn it Sooyoung, relax. You're making yourself so tense. If Yoong was here she would be laughing at you.

Sooyoung's thoughts were interrupted when she heard a static like noise coming from her communication device.

"H-Help... Leader... Requesting Bac AHHHHHHH- Bzzzzzt"

The audio was cut off.

"What the? They looked out the window and saw a huge explosion. Hyoyeon, Simon. Hold onto me. I'll teleport us there."The two nodded and grabbed a hold of Sooyoung's shoulder. In a blink of an eye they were transported to the sight of the explosion. They looked around and were surprised by what they saw in front of them. All 4 of their comrades were on the floor. They laid there lifelessly.

Hyoyeon mourned for her fallen comrades while Sooyoung was too busy looking at the enemies in front of her. In front of her eyes were 9 level twos and behind them were 4 level threes. Sooyoung reached for her communication device.

"Guys... come here quick."

"Do not worry Choi Sooyoung. We are interested in your powers. As long as you agree to come with us peacefully we won't have to kill you. Unlike these trash on the floor" Sooyoung heard a man spoke. He was covered with a cloak so all she saw was his mouth,

"Join you? Feh.... as if. My answer is no so f**k off"

"Tsk Tsk.... not the answer we were looking for." The man shook his head with a smirk. "Beasts.... go wild"

Without a moment of hesitation the monsters got ready to attack.

Yoona.... it seems I won't be able to treat you to that dinner after all. I'm sorry. 

~~

Yoona and Yuri were called by their boss to go to the office. 

Yoona has been pretty quietly lately. Why do I have such a bad feeling about this? The two walked into the office and sat down on the chair in front of the desk. 

"Girls.... you two have a mission together in Japan"

"Japan? When?" Yoona asked.

"Tomorrow"

"What time?" Yuri asked?

"You will take a morning flight."

"Yes sir. Is that it?" Yoona asked.

"Yes, oh uhm.. Yoona, have you gotten in touch with Sooyoung? No one from her platoon has called back or 
anything. You're her best friend so we thought maybe you knew her whereabouts." Yoona felt her heart sank. Sooyoung hasn't called her since she left. She was expecting at least a phone call.

Yuri sensed how uncomfortable Yoona felt and held her hand. "Don't worry. Sooyoung is strong. I'm sure she is fine and she's just busy. Right?" Yuri gave Yoona a smile in hopes of calming her down. 

"Yuri is right Yoona. I'm sure Sooyoung is probably have a buffet somewhere. That's all. Sorry for making you worried. Now go rest for tomorrow's mission"

"Thanks sir." Yuri bowed and walked outside, still holding Yoona's hand.

"Yoona, don't worry.... Sooyoung is alright." Yuri looked at Yoona and felt Yoona tightening her grip.

"I... I hope so." Yoona gave a small smile, but she was obviously worried for her best friend.

"Let's go rest now." Yuri took Yoona's hand and walked back to their room. They slept in their own beds. Yoona looked at the ceiling and was still feeling intense. 

Shikshin, I hope you're okay.

~~

Yuri and Yoona both woke up early to get ready for their flight. The two packed their clothes and were driven to the airport. Neither of them spoke once.They boarded their flight and sat next to each other. Once they got to their seats Yoona started dozing off. Yuri knows the younger girl spent all night worrying about her best friend's condition.

"Here... you can sleep on my shoulder" 

Yoona looked at the older girl with a puzzled expression. 

"Don't worry I'm not gonna touch you" Yuri said.

"T- Thanks" Yoona rested on Yuri's shoulder and was ready to go to sleep.

"Yah, wimp"

"Hm?"

"You have a comfy shoulder"

"Heh.. thank you"

Once Yoona fell asleep the two of them were completely quiet. Yuri enjoyed the peace and started to slowly doze off. Her cheek on Yoona's head. The two were woken up by the flight attendant and got their luggage. Their mission was similar to Sooyoung's which was to investigate strange disappearances. The two of them left their luggage at their hotel room and went straight to the area they were instructed to investigate. Unlike Sooyoung this one was actually populated. Police tape were everywhere.

Yoona inspected the clothes on the floor. It really did look like people just evaporated. Yuri asked the local police if they found anything strange other than just the clothes. The police simply shoot their head. The two of them were left alone to investigate further.

"Any hypotheses so far Yoona?"

"Not really... sigh. This is so strange."

The two special elementists walked out to the city to get some food and clear their minds off things.

"Sigh.... these weird disappearances have been such a pain, especially because we have no lead" Yuri sighed.

"Yeah...." Yoona has been pretty stressed and worried lately because she still hasn't heard anything from Sooyoung, but being around Yuri helped her take her minds off things for a while. Yuri's bright and optimistic personality made her very likable and similar to Sooyoung.

"Hey Yo-"

"KYAAAAAAAH!!!!"

The two of them froze and looked out the window. From the outside they saw a hoard of level twos slaughtering the people. Yoona and Yuri ran outside to the scene and were horrified. The streets were completely filled with the lifeless bodies of civilians.

Yoona focused her all of her energy into the palm of her hands and threw the gigantic dark energy ball at the hoard of beasts. Yuri created a force field to separate them from the innocent civilians and the battle. She looked around and saw at least 50 bodies. Some were just children.

This was still new to Yuri. She still hadn't accepted that their world is now hell.

"..... eh... uh..." Yuri sobbed silently, but stopped when she felt someone hug her.

"Shh.... wimp. Don't be too loud."

Yuri looked up and saw Yoona looking at her with a warm expression.

"Yoona...."

"Don't worry. I'll handle this. I'll protect you" Yoona pat the elder girl's head and went back to battle.

"Yo.... Prepare to die" She charged forward and focusing her energy on the heels of her foot to help her fly. She gathered up more energy to create a giant ball of dark energy. She threw it on the ground adding momentum to the already powerful attack. Crushing most of her enemies and leaving on 2 level threes.

"Crap... level threes are such a pain."

She created a gun and shot quick bullets of energy, which the monsters easily dodged. The monster ran back and shot a ball of flame at the dark elementist.

"Yoona!!!" Yuri screamed remembering what Tiffany said. These monsters are even stronger than Yoona and 
Sooyoung. She knows Yoona is outclassed and will be taken down, maybe even killed. I can't let them kill Yoona. Yuri took down her force field and copied Yoona's move by focusing her energy, but on her back instead to form wings.

"Wimp.. stay back.."

"No way. I'm your comrade. I'm going to fight with you."

"Sigh.... but you're going to die"

"No I'm not!!!" Yuri was infuriated with Yoona continuing to look down on her.

What she wasn't aware of was Yoona purposely making her angry to help strengthen her. The more emotional she gets, the stronger her powers will be.

Yuri formed a sword with her powers and charged at the monster, Yoona following her to make sure she doesn't get injured. The dark power use shot another bullet at the monster, while Yuri slashed it. The monster remained unfazed and shot fire at Yuri.

"Damn!!" Yoona grabbed Yuri and took the damage from shielding the black pearl.

"Yoona... Yoona!!!" Yuri hugged the younger girl. She heard a voice calling her.

Do you want to be stronger?

"Huh? Who is this?"

Do you want to save Yoona?

"Who is talking?" Yuri looked around and saw that no one was around.

I am you. You are me. I am your power. I grow stronger when you desire strength. 

"I do.. how to I help Yoona?"

I can heal her. Focus your energy on Yoona's wounded area. That will heal her.

"O- Okay" Yuri did as the voice in the her told and she saw Yoona's wound closing.

Also... my power is the ability to strengthen other powers. When Yoona heals enough fight with her. 

"Mhm...." Yoona slowly opened her eyes and saw Yuri healing her. Thanks Wimp.

"Yoona.... let's take these two monsters down together."

"I guess" The two got up on their feet. Yoona felt her flame stronger than before.

"Let's go"

~~

The two were back in their hotel room and took turns to take a shower. Their fight was interrupted by the same girl they met in London. The girl took the beasts home without saying why leaving the two very confused. Yoona and Yuri fled the scene to avoid the local news reporters or police. 

Yoona laid down on her bed and stared at the ceiling. Why is this happening?

Yuri finished her shower and crawled into Yoona's bed.

"uhm.. wimp.. your bed is over there" Yoona said a bit flustered by the older girl.

"can I sleep with you tonight?"

"...."

"I.. I'm scared. Those people that died. I could've done something. What good am I? I can't even save people. I'm so weak." Yoona wrapped her arms around the older girl who sobbed in her chest. The younger girl rubbed the black pearl to calm her down. Normally she would , but she realized that wouldn't help her relieve stress. The girl was not as used to seeing people get slaughtered, so the first time was definitely freighting. 

"It's not your fault. It's no one's fault, except for those monsters."

"Are more people going to die?"

"Sadly, yes. This is why we have to get stronger if we want to protect people. You are not weak. You are strong. If it wasn't for you I probably would not be alive right now. So don't think too much about it. Let's take this as a lesson."

"Yoona...."

"Hm?"

"Thank you"

"You're welcome"

The older girl fell asleep in Yoona's arm. The doe eyed girl look at the black pearl and sighed.

You make me so weak.

Yoona gently kissed the tanned girl's forehead head and smiled.

"Good night wimp"

TBC

So troopers I bet you're all happy about this chapter!! <33 Please remember this YoonYul moment because the next few chapters... will make you hate me LOL