Chapter 2

Opposing Elements

Chapter 2

 

Yuri's POV

 

I woke up at around 7 in the morning hearing whispers outside my room. I got off the bed and opened the door.  

 

Standing outside were Jessica and Tiffany.


"Good Morning Yuri!!!" Tiffany greeted me.

"M- Morning Fany. Morning Sica"

"Come on Yuri. Let's go get breakfast. Go brush your teeth and change. We'll wait outside."

"Okay" I walked to the bathroom and brushed my teeth with a new toothbrush that I took from my roommate. She won't mind right? I took her clothes and changed. I feel bad, I need to buy my own clothes when I have the time. I borrowed a T- shirt and jeans. I'm glad head quarters gave me new under garments because I refuse to wear another person's. When I finished changing I walked outside with my friends. They led me downstairs to the dining room. I noticed some people had to pay for their meals so I checked my wallet and realized I was penniless.

"Sica- Yah, Fany-Ah... do you think I can borrow some money from you two? I'm so poor"

The two of them looked at me and started giggling. What the heck? I only asked for money. What's so funny?

"Uh.. guys if you don't want to lend me money just say so"

"No... Yuri- Yah... eheh... We're laughing because you don't need money to buy food" Jessica told me.

"What? We don't?"

"Of course not. Well WE don't, but others do." Tiffany replied.

"Why?"

"Because our tattoo is the sign that we're element users. Our tickets are just our tattoos. With this we can get access to anything here or anything associated to the order. For example we can stay at hotels for free on missions. Take first class air flights. Go to trains for free. And most important, if you ever get in trouble with the police this tattoo will save you. Because we are in alliance with them, they are not allowed to arrest or release information about us. Cool right?" Jessica explained to me.

"I guess... but why do they have to pay? They technically work for the order too. They contribute just as much. They also go to battlefields and risk their lives. Just because they aren't "special" like us doesn't mean we should treat them unfairly" I said.

Jessica sighed and Tiffany looked at me.

"Yuri- Yah.. I understand what you're trying to say, but there's nothing we can do about it. We don't make the rules. Although Jessi, Taeyeon and I are pretty high ranked in the order. We'll try to change things in the next meeting. Although I doubt the order would. They don't have time to waste doing this and setting up all new rules, telling our alliances and get ready for the war." Tiffany told me.

 

I just looked down on the food and nodded. The three of us sat down on the table joining the other element users. We began to talk about training. Then I remembered. I still need to find a teacher. I guess I'll ask Tiffany because she only has one student. The other teachers already have either 2 or more. I don't want to be any more of an inconvenience. Especially when I don't even know what my powers are. What if I turned out to be useless?

 

"Fany- Ah... can you.... please be my teacher?" I looked at Tiffany.

 

"Sure Yuri... after all everyone already has more students than me. Okay so the first thing we do when we get to the training room is to see you release your flames understand?"

 

"Okay.. Thank you. But why are they called flames? I don't have a fire element."

 

"Oh.. it's just the term because no matter what element you have every attack starts off like a spark of flame then changes into the element. Also our powers are like a video game. We get stronger the more we fight, kinda like leveling up with new stats. And then when we fight and gain enough experience we can.. I guess like evolve?" Tiffany told me. Although her explanations are kind of childish.

 

"Evolve?" I asked because that was so vague.

 

"Like.. hm.. how do I explain it? Oh I know. You know how I have flames of fire right?"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Well if I gain enough experience and I hit a certain level, I learned that flames of fire will eventually turn into lava powers. So I can shoot magma!! Isn't that so cool??"

 

The whole table was chuckling at Tiffany's enthusiasm for "leveling up" and "evolving".

 

"Ahaha... Tiff you make it sound like we're pokemon. Since I'm an ice type does that make me glacieon? You're a flareon. Sunny is a Jolteon and the others here are the other eeveelutions? I'm sorry but you're just too funny" Jessica laughed and said in a sarcastic tone to mess with Tiffany.

 

"Yah!! Jessi!!" Tiffany was blushing which made the table laugh even more.

 

"I'm just kidding Fany.. you're just so fun to tease" Jessica gave Tiffany a hug and pinched her cheek.

 

"Come on everyone. Breakfast is over. Time to start training. Okay let's throw out our trash," Taeyeon, the leader told us and we listened. For a short girl she is really commanding. We started walking towards the special element user's training rooms. While we were walking past the hallways I was staring at the decorations. Each wall was painted with an element symbol, even the special ones are there... there's only mine that's missing.

 

I wonder what kind of eeveelution I am?

 

"Okay everyone line up. You will all be place in a specific area with your instructors!!! My name is Kwon BoA. I will be assisting the wind users. Next to me is Park Kahi she will be teaching the lightning users. The rest of the teachers you already know. Taeyeon, Jessica, Tiffany come up here please and claim your students then take them to their designated area. That is all... Wind brats!!! Follow me"

 

I saw Cho Kyuhyun, Ok Taecyeon, and Shim Changmin follow BoA to a room that has the wind symbol.

 

I guess each room was specially designed for a specific element?

 

"Okay lightning users!! Follow me" Sunny, Onew and Jonhyun followed Kahi.

 

The other students followed their teachers leaving Siwon and me with Tiffany.

 

"Okay.. you two follow me this way to the fire room"

 

"Wait.. Fany- Ah.. is it safe for me to go? I mean you fire users will survive, but I don't even know my power yet!!"

 

"Oh right. Siwon- ssi, please go into the room first. I'll be there shortly. There are candles on a conveyer belt. Every time the signal lights up 5 candles come out. For training I want to test your control. So light only candles 1, 3, and 5. And do not melt any of them unless they melted naturally. Okay? Now go."

 

Siwon left me and Tiffany alone in the track field.

 

"Okay Yuri.. please follow me. There's a room for special users. I'll go with you. Only about 4 other people use this room. None of them are here yet, although..." I saw Tiffany check her cell phone.

 

"2 of them should be returning soon. Okay now lets start your training. For starters.. I want you to build a ball of your energy into the palm of your hands."

 

"And exactly HOW am I supposed to do that?"

 

"Just remain calm and focus your energy into the palms of your hands. Try to picture your hand in your mind"

 

"Okay?" I closed my eyes and tried to picture my hand I felt so stupid. Nothing happened.

 

"Aish... that failed" I opened my eyes and pouted.

 

"Aw... come yuri.. try again!"

 

I tried again... this time I cleared my thoughts other than the mental image of my hand.

 

Relax... Relax.. you can do this

 

Still nothing happened. This .

 

"Yuri- Yah... You want tips?"

 

"Of course!!"

 

"Okay...  legend has it that a person develops element powers when they feel the need to protect something or someone. Most of us don't know what it is. But that's what our powers are for. We become stronger when our resolves grow. Arraso? Now think of something you want to protect or your resolve"

 

Something I want to protect? Hm... what do I want to protect?

 

I closed my eyes and tried the training again. I was thinking about what is is important to me. Then I suddenly

remembered back in school when Tiffany protected me.

 

I want to protect my friends.

 

I felt my hands start tingling.

 

"Good Yuri!! Continue!"

 

I want to be useful.

 

The heat became stronger.

 

I want to save the people that were abducted

 

"Yuri!!! You did it!!! Open your eyes.. look!!" Tiffany yelled.

 

I looked at my hand and saw a giant glow.

 

"W- Wow" I smiled at my accomplishment.

 

"Good Job Yuri!! Now toss that glow at those targets. Lets see what your power does!" Tiffany was even more excited than me.

 

"Okay... We should step back. My power might be dangerous." I took a step back and made a baseball pitching form. 3, 2, 1 I tossed the energy ball at the target! Bulls eye. Tiffany and I saw a flash and covered our eyes. When it cleared the two of us opened our eyes. What we saw next made me...

 

Get on the floor and sulk...

 

The energy ball did nothing!!

 

"M- Maybe yours is a defensive move to blind the enemies?" Tiffany said hoping to cheer me up. But I can see her disappointment.

 

"Tiffany you should go help Siwon. I'm completely useless.... At least his powers actually does something. Excuse me but I want to walk around."

 

"Huh? wait.. Yuri- yah!!"

 

I ran out the exit and got to the head quarter's garden. I saw a big tree and rested on it.

 

"Aish... my power is so useless.. Special my arse. Feh" I was mumbling to myself.

 

"What's the point of having this element thing when all it does is blind people for a good 5 seconds. Maybe I'm good for the coward team. Perfect attack for distracting and running away"

 

"I'm so useless.... AIGO... God give me a sign!! Tell me I'm useful somehow. Like drop something from the sky for a hint or maybe someone."

 

"I am really losing it... no one falls from the sky.. Geez Kwon Yuri get ahold of yourself."

 

I was looking down on the grass when suddenly I saw a huge shadow from the sky.

 

"What the??" I looked up and saw a body... before I had the chance to evade the person fell on top of me.

 

"Kyaaaa!!!!" A person fell on top of me and I screamed. I opened my eyes and saw a girl on sitting on my lap. Our faces were inches apart. She had the most beautiful doe like eyes. I suddenly felt my heart beating really fast. She looked really dazed and got off my lap. She was walking away and was really quiet. Which made me worried. Did she hit her head?

 

I walked up to her but stopped when I saw her take out her cell phone to call someone.

 

"Choi Sooyoung. I am going to murder you. How dare you give me your busted key. I fell off the sky because

the portal opened in the sky. I swear when I find you I'm gonna kill you."

 

I stood there shocked at the angry girl. It was easy to tell that she was angry, but she was so calm when she expressed her anger.

 

"Feh.. whatever... I'm hanging up. You take those element using kids we found to the boss" She hung up on her phone and turned her attention to me.

 

We stayed there silent staring at each other.

 

"Who are you? You're new?" She said to me.

 

I nodded

 

"Y- yeah... hi my name is.. K- Kwon Yuri.. N- nice to meet you... uh?" Why am I stuttering so much?

 

I reached out my hand so she can shake it, but instead she just stood there and replied without shaking my hand.

 

"Im YoonA" She replied shortly and left.

 

How can she bee so rude? Who is this girl? This rude, mean girl!! Who happens to be very beautiful.. Aish what am I thinking?

 

I walked back into the training room. Tiffany and Jessica saw me. They ran to me.

 

"Yuri- Yah!! You alright?" Tiffany asked me.

 

"Yeah I am.. but I just met a really rude girl"

 

"Rude?"

 

"Yeah"

 

"Who?"

 

"Her name is Im Yoona. She fell out of the sky, landed on my lap, didn't apologize and walked away from me without even properly greeting me"

 

"Uh.. Yuri..."

 

"What?"

 

"She's behind you"

 

"WHAT??" I turned around and saw that rude girl looking at me with a blank expression,

 

"Hello Jessica Unnie, Tiffany Unnie" Yoona greeted and bowed.

 

"Hi Yoona" My friends said in unison.

 

"Yuri. Yoona will be your teacher. She is also a special user and the one we mentioned that has an unclassified."

 

"WHAT?? HER??" I pointed at her.

 

She scoffed at me and frowned. "Tch.. and you call me rude? Pointing isn't nice. Whatever your name is. This is no way to respect your superiors."

 

I turned my attention to her and glared. "My name is not "whatever". It's Kwon Yuri!! Remember it!"

 

"Why should I? Here many new recruits die in less than a month. And I hear you don't even know your power. How pathetic. You know what? Maybe if after a month here and you're still alive. I'll remember your name. No point in wasting my time remembering someone that's gonna die. Wimp."

 

"Why you!"

 

"You two!! Stop" Tiffany yelled.

 

"B- but Fany.. she started it"

 

"hmph... what are we? In kindergarden. it up"

 

"Yuri it doesn't matter who started it. And Yoona stop. Jessi and I have to get back to our students. Now I want you two to behave. Understand?" Tiffany said to us.

 

I noded bitterly and watched my friends leave. I'm stuck with this jerk.

 

"Hmph... let's get this over with wimp." She said to me.

 

I hate her so much. I swear when I find my true power I'm gonna use her as a punching bag.

 

TBC