Chapter 1

Opposing Elements

Chapter 1


Yuri's POV

"Yuri- Yah... You're a chosen one too" Tiffany said to me with an eye smile.

A chosen one? What does that mean? What is this weird tattoo on my shoulder? Am I going to be able to shoot flames like Fany? This is too unreal. I must be having a bad dream. Yeah that's it.

"Yuri!!! Stop day dreaming and start running... they're right behind us!!"

Tiffany's loud voice made me stop my train of thought. I turned my head and looked behind. I quickened my pace when I saw 3 creatures charging at us.

"Yuri, quick you run!! I'll stall them!!"

"What?? B- But!!"

"Just go!! We don't know your power yet!! And these wimps are nothing. Now run!!"

I listened to Tiffany and ran for my life, but I kept looking back. I noticed another huge flame developing on Fany's hands. She clasped her hands together and created a large flame ball. I saw Tiffany throw it at the creatures, which created a huge wall of flame. After that all I heard was the loud screeching noises the creatures made. I guess I wasn't paying attention because I heard Fany scream.

"YURI!!!! Behind you!!"

Huh? I looked behind me and saw another creature. Oh my god!! Am I going to die today?

"Sh*t I won't make it!!! Don't you touch Yuri!!!" I heard Tiffany scream and start running to my direction.

I closed my eyes and prayed for death. There's not way out. Good Bye World. After a few seconds went by and I still didn't feel any pain I felt relieved. I heard the monster scream then turn silent. I opened one of my eyes and to my surprised the monster was completely frozen solid. A few seconds later the frozen monster shattered and pieces of its remains were on the floor like a puzzle.

"Scum. Don't touch my friends" I recognized that voice.

"Sica!!!" I ran and hugged my friend.

"Jessi!!!" Tiffany ran towards and hugged the both of us.

"I thought you and Taeyeon were waiting outside." Tiffany said after releasing us.

"I was, but I got bored and worried when you didn't return. And we ran into some trouble. Taeyeon is outside fighting. I was going to stay, but she told me to go help you. And she can handle those things by herself. I'd rather take my chances with an army of those monsters than Taeyeon."

"Aha... That's so true. Now come on Jessi, Yuri lets go"

We ran out the exit and saw Taeyeon standing there and the monsters were on the floor being crushed by rocks.

"Taeyeon!!!" The three of us screamed. She looked at us and waved.

"Yuri!! You're alright!! Thank goodness" We walked to her and hugged her.

"Where do we go now?" I asked.

"Jessi... we should go to head quarters. We also need to know what is going on


"Agreed" Taeyeon replied. 

Jessica nodded her head.

The three of us were about to leave, but we heard a loud scream. From the sound of it, it was a human, not a monster.

"Tiff!! I thought you searched the whole area for anymore survivors!" Jessica screamed.

"Jessi I did!"

"Yah!! Kids this is not the time to argue. Let's go before it's too late!" Taeyeon yelled and ran to the direction we heard the voice.

The three of us followed shortly. We got to the school's parking lot and saw a girl on the floor crying. I know her! She's two grades below us, but smart enough to be in my physics class. Seo Juhyun, or Seohyun as she likes to be called.

"yo!! Monster- ssi!! Pick on somebody your own size!" Taeyeon screamed.

I couldn't help, but chuckled at the irony of that statement. Taeyeon, any body can see that thing is bigger than you. I stopped chuckling when I saw 2 more monsters coming here. Crap! 

"Tiffany, Jessica!! You take care of those two. Yuri go see to that girl! I'll handle this thing." 

The three of us nodded and did as we were told. Jessica completely frozen her battle field and made ice skates with her power. The monster was struggling to not slip. Jessica circled around a few times and created knives with her powers. 

She threw them at the monster. As the ice knives made contact, the monster started freezing. Jessica won that battle, no sweat. I glanced over at Tiffany. Unlike Jessica's way of fighting, Tiffany wanted to end it quickly. I saw Tiffany create a huge wall of fire around the monster. All we could hear were the screams of that thing. I realized I never found out Taeyeon's powers so I looked over at her. I saw the ground shaking a little and boulders were coming off from the ground. She had total control over them and shot them like bullets. The monster was crushed like a pancake.

"Hellll yeah!!!" Taeyeon screamed.

"That was easy!" Tiffany cheered.

Jessica just smirked and stayed silent, but I can tell she was proud of herself.

The three of them stopped cheering and walked towards us. My arms were around the crying girl.

Taeyeon crouched on the floor and tried to talk to her.

"Hey.. it's okay now. Don't cry. We'll protect you"

"yeah.. don't worry. You'll be fine! Taeyeon, Jessi and I will protect you"

"th- Thank you" Seohyun said in between her sobs.

"Kid what's your name?" Jessica asked.

"Seo Juhyun, but she likes to be called Seohyun. She's in my physics class. She's the freshmen that everyone calls a genius" I replied knowing Seohyun was not in the mood to really talk.

"Ohhhh... you" Taeyeon said in a cheerful tone hoping to make the girl less scared.

"Guys I don't think we should stay here too long. We need to get to HQ."

"Tiff is right... let's go" Jessica took out her cellphone and pressed some keys. I was wondering who she was calling, but then her phone unlocked something and a small key like thing fell off.

"Fany, what is that?"

"A portal" Tiffany smiled.

Jessica positioned the key in front of nothing and turned it as if a door knob was there. The air started glowing and outlining. A door opened.

"Come on... let's go" Jessica walked first. The rest of us followed her. I was still holding onto Seohyun who was still trembling. We were led into a room that was very bright. I saw many people either from my school or just people I have met before. I noticed some of the teachers from school.

What is going??? I have so many questions right now.

"Jessica, Tiffany, Taeyeon!! You're back!! Oh.. Yuri and Seohyun you two are safe too!!" My physics teacher said. I still remember when I saw him shoot lightning at those things.

"Sir, did anyone else get saved?" Jessica asked

"Kim Hyoyeon, Lee Sunkyu, Cho Kyuhyun, Choi Siwon, Lee Donghae, Park Jung- Soo, Kim Jong- Woon Jung Yunho,Kim Jaejoong, Shim Changmin, Kim Jonghyun, Lee Jinki, Kim Jong-In, Oh Se Hun, Jung Yonghwa, your sister Jung Krystal, her friend Choi Sulli, Park Sandara, Goo Hara and Ok Taecyeon"

"Krys is okay??? Oh thank god!!" Jessica was overjoyed hearing her sister was safe.

"You five should go clean yourselves up. We're having a meeting. Yuri, Seohyun, please join us. This concerns you too."

The two of us nodded. Jessica and Tiffany accompanied me and Seohyun to the rooms that we will be staying in.

"Sica, Fany where will you two be staying?" I asked. 

"Tiff and I share a room down the corridor. We're next to the training room."

"Will Seohyun and I be sharing a room?"

"No.. you're sharing a room with someone else. She hasn't returned yet. Seohyun will have her own because that room only has one bed. Now stop asking questions and get ready for the meeting" Jessica replied in a cold tone. "Jessi!!! 

Don't be mean"

"Sorry Tiff, Yuri... I'm just so tired and cranky."

"I understand Sica. You and Tiff should go clean yourselves"

The two of them nodded and left. I walked into my room and Seohyun walked into hers. There was a bathroom in mine. 

I took a shower and changed into the clothes I borrowed from the roommate who I don't know yet. Oddly enough we have the same measures so her clothes fit me perfectly. Jessica and Tiffany were waiting by the door to take us to the meeting place. Seohyun and I quietly followed them. Inside the meeting room, the tension was so heavy. It was suffocating.

"Girls have a seat."

The four of us sat down and listened to the man in the big chair get ready to speak. "As you may all know. We have been under attacked. Many children and teenagers were abducted. We knew about it and even with all the soldiers we positioned in schools were we knew would be attacked eventually, we still failed. We need to get ready and create a new army. Be it you have an element or not, you are all to join this fight. Those with elements will get special training. 

Those without will be trained to use weaponry and hand to hand combat. We have to save those children."

"Uhm... excuse me, but... what is going to happen to those children?" I don't know why, but I had to know. Everyone's expressions hardened. I have a bad feeling about this.

"If we don't save them in time. They will be either 1. sacrificed or 2. transformed into one of them" "What?? 

Transform!! You- You mean those things at school that were killed used to be human??" "We're not too sure. There is a possibility. But I doubt there is a way to revert back. Because when we caught one. We realized the body has been completely infected with the virus. Their brains are destroyed. They're nothing more than a mindless shell. Surely death is better than a life like this."

I remained silent and sat down. I hate to admit it. Killing people is wrong, but if they really end up like that. Maybe dying is the solution? It's still not right. 

Seohyun took my hand and smiled at me. She was just as surprised hearing those things are humans, but she 
understands that putting them out of their misery is better. I smiled in return and listened to the man as he continued speaking.

"Jessica, Tiffany, Taeyeon.. are there any new element users? I sent you to check out all the new survivors. Any?"

"Yes Sir" Tiffany said.

"From what I've seen so far. It seems that Kwon Yuri, Lee SunKyu, Kim Hyoyeon, Cho Kyuhyun, Choi Siwon, LeeDonghae, Park JungSoo, Ok Taecyeon, Kim Jonghyun, Lee Jinki, Shim Changmin and Krystal all seem to have the tattoos of the elements. Some of the others have showed symptoms of developing elements."

"Very good... those mentioned will stay here and listen for further instructions about their training. The other ones will be kept on watch for the time being to see if they develop these powers. Okay.. DISPERSE."

Everyone expect the already existing element users and the ones mentioned stayed.

"Okay... you are the few with powers. Starting tomorrow you will receive training on how to control them. You will be assigned with a teacher that possesses the same element as you. If you unsure check your tattoo. Each tattoo has a distinctive design based on your power. Having this power is already rare enough, so having an uncommon element is 1 in a million chance. We don't have much users that uses special elements. Now let me see"

One by one we each showed our tattoo. Since I'm at the end of the line I will be last. 

"Lee Donghae and Jung Krystal... you both have ice. You will be trained by Jung Jessica." 

"Yeah!!! I'll be with Unnie!!" Krystal was delighted and hugged Jessica.

"Choi Siwon you have fire. You will be trained by Hwang Tiffany"

The two of them bowed to each other.

"Kim Hyoyeon you have earth, you too Park Jung-Soo. You two will be trained by Kim Taeyeon"

"Sir please just call me LeeTeuk" Jung-Soo Oppa said.

"Lee SunKyu, Lee Jinki and Kim Jonghyun. You three have lightning. You will be trained by Ms. Park Kahi"

"Please just call me Sunny. I hate my name"

"Can you please call me Onew"

"Cho Kyuhyun, Ok Taecyeon, and Shim Changmin.. you three have wind. You'll be trained by Ms. Kwon BoA"

"And then there's YOU.. Ms. Kwon Yuri" I gulped. Why does he seem so serious?

"Your element does not seem to follow the usual water, fire, ice, wind, earth or lightning. It seems you have a special.

The problem is we have no idea which ones. You see special elements are so rare, people through out in history have only discovered and recorded about 7. The special ones that are known are leaf, metal, poison, shape shift, psychic,multiply and ghost. Yours doesn't fit the classification of any of those. You will need to be experimented on. We only have one other person that is like you that has an unclassified power. Unfortunately she and her friend are on a mission right now to find more potential candidates to join our army."

EXPERIMENTED ON????? Are they gonna put me in a lab???

"For now you can choose any teacher you want and find your power. Okay that is all for today. Everyone you are dismissed."

Jessica and Tiffany accompanied me to my room. The whole time I was silent.

What powers do I have?

"Yuri- yah... don't worry about it too much. You'll find out yours eventually" Jessica said to cheer me up.

"Yeah.. Jessi is right. You'll find out soon. Now just get rest"

"thanks guys... good night" I waved good bye and walked into my room and sat on my bed.

"How did things get so out of hand?"

Jessica's POV

Ah.. I'm so sleepy. I turned my attention to Tiffany.

"Tiff... lets go to sleep now"

"Okay Jessi"

"So... you'll be training Choi Siwon? Just him..." I was feeling a bit jealous. I don't know why. Tiffany and I have been really close since we were kids. We're almost like sisters. Maybe I'm just worried that she'll stop hanging out with me. 

Or worried that Siwon will try to hurt her.

"Yeah... what? Jealous?" She stuck her tongue out at me and teased me.

"Feh... As if... Just he has a reputation. So be careful around him. Don't let him hurt you. If my element wasn't weak against his I would turn him into an ice sculpture."

"Aww... Don't worry Jessi. I'll be fine." She held my hand and we walked to our room. We opened the doors and got into our own bed. I turned off all the lights and got ready to sleep.

"Good Night Tiff. I love you"

"Good Night Jessi. I love you too!

I wonder what the future will be like for all of us in this apocalyptic world. 

TBC