Stay Awake

Mother, Sister, Daughter, Lover

 

Chapter 33

Stay Awake

 

Yuri looked around the room.

 

“This is gonna be your new home. I supervised everything and even asked Jessica what you liked. She said you liked it simple so I told the interior designer that. Do you like it?” Joohyun said enthusiastically.

“Y-yes… Thank you.” Yuri bowed.

“You don’t have to bow Anna. Even though I missed out all of your life because that damned Boa-“

“I’m sorry ma’am but I still don’t appreciate you cursing my mother. If you could please respect her… and my name is Yuri.” Yuri cut her off.

 

Joohyun sighed.

 

“I’m sorry. It’s just that… We’ve been looking everywhere for you all those years. Listen Yuri, I know that you don’t have the brightest image of me in your head but I promise I will make it up to you. Now that I’ve found you my life is complete.” Joohyun said with teary eyes and went in to hug her.

 

Yuri didn’t know what to say back. She hesitantly hugged Joohyun back. It hasn’t been long since she found out about the truth and here she was, already in the Jung’s mansion. Boa explained to her everything that had happened, why she did it and why she hid it. After hearing her explanations, Yuri felt angry. Why did Joohyun threaten Boa? If she had just treated Boa right then her umma wouldn’t have to run away from her.

 

“Yuri… Even if Joohyun did that to me, she is still your mother. I am also at fault. I should have talked it out with her and not run away. Treat her nicely okay?”

 

She remembered her umma say. Even though she was still angry at Joohyun, Boa was right. She is still her mother. She can’t be angry forever.

 

*knock* *knock* *knock*

 

Someone knocked at the door. Joohyun and Yuri broke the hug and looked at the person who was knocking. It was Jessica.

 

“Sica…” Yuri called out.

 

Jessica smiled at her. Jessica turned to look at her mom who had puffy eyes. She must’ve been crying. Who wouldn’t? She just found her missing daughter of course she would cry. Jessica thought.

 

“Jessica, come here.” Joohyun told her nicely.

 

Jessica did what she was told to do. Joohyun suddenly pulled them in for a big hug.

 

“I finally have a complete family. My two daughters.” Joohyun smiled through her tears.

 

Jessica looked at Yuri but Yuri didn’t look back. Yuri kept her head down low. After a series of emotional speeches, Joohyun finally left the two of them alone. Silence engulfed the both of them.

 

“I’ve never seen her so happy before.” Jessica broke the silence and smiled.

 

Yuri sat on her bed with a sigh. She and Jessica… Since the incident, they haven’t talked or even seen each other. They were too engrossed by their feelings, more of confusion? This was the first time they talked in a while.

 

“I don’t want to be here.” Yuri’s voice cracked.

“Wae?” Jessica sat beside her.

“I don’t want to be your sister.” Yuri closed her eyes.

“Silly. I’m not your sister. I’m adopted remember?” Jessica chuckled.

 

It hurt Yuri the most hearing Jessica say that. She knew how Jessica strived for her mother’s approval and here she comes getting it so easily.

 

“Don’t say that.” Yuri placed her head on Jessica’s neck.

“It’s the truth.” Jessica said as she pulled Yuri closer to her.

“No. I don’t want to hear it.”

 

Yuri shook her head and suddenly moved forward making Jessica lie on the bed. Yuri propped herself up using her arms and trapped Jessica below her. They both didn’t utter a single thing. They were just staring at each other until Jessica felt droplets of water on her cheeks. Yuri was crying.

 

“Why are you crying?” Jessica wiped Yuri’s tears away.

“What happens to us now?” Yuri finally managed to ask that one question.

 

That one question that they both wanted to ask but were not ready for the possible answer to it.

 

“I don’t know. I really don’t know…” Jessica too started crying.

 

Yuri crashed her lips to Jessica’s which Jessica almost immediately replied to. They made love. Quickly. Desperately. They did anything that could make them closer. They did everything that would give them assurance that they were gonna be okay. That they could still be together. Anything to grasp on.

 

~******~

 

At first, Jessica and Yuri chose to forget reality. They acted like nothing happened. Most of the time Yuri ends up sleeping on Jessica’s room. Yuri just goes to her room if she needs to bathe, change, or pick up some stuff then she goes to Jessica’s room. They chose to think that they were lucky that they could live in the same house. But the problems keep on surfacing… Reality was getting harsher and harsher each moment.

 

Yuri was often times favored over Jessica. Almost like Yuri first policy. Did Yuri eat? Is Yuri asleep already? Did you arrive with Yuri? Where is Yuri? Jessica have you seen Yuri? Yuri has very good grades what about you Jessica? When Yuri comes home to Boa, the house was quiet. It was always Yuri. Yuri had been the center of everything since then. It didn’t help that Yuri was better at everything than her. Yuri was a perfect fit for the Jungs. She really was the real Jung.

 

Jessica was forgotten when Yuri was around. Although Yuri would always make her be in all of their conversations, Jessica can’t help but feel like she wasn’t needed anymore. The role as a replacement wasn’t needed anymore. Of course Yuri would deny and erase everything she was feeling by loving her. Yuri was great.

 

At Yuri’s birthday party, Jessica and Yuri were just talking to themselves. They weren’t even socializing until Joohyun came up to them.

 

“Jessica, Yuri why don’t you girls go around and say hi to people? Come Yuri. I’ll introduce you to my friends.”

“Wait mo-“ Yuri was left with no choice when Joohyun already dragged her.

 

Jessica was left all alone. Yuri looked at her worriedly but Jessica smiled and mouthed that it was okay. Turns out the “friends” Joohyun were talking about were boys she wanted Yuri to potentially date. Turns out Minho was one of them.

 

“Minho you know Yuri already right?”

“Yes of course Auntie. I know her very well. Happy birthday beautiful.” Minho teased Yuri with a smirk.

“Minho here is such a nice boy. Am I right Yuri?” Joohyun asked her with a smile.

“The nicest mom.” Yuri said with a fake smile.

“Then I’ll leave the two of you alone okay?” Joohyun pulled the two of them a little closer and left.

 

Minho chuckled. Yuri turned her back and was about to leave when Minho pulled her back by the wrist softly.

 

“How rude of you to turn your back on such a handsome man.” Minho shook his head playfully.

“I’m sorry. I’m not interested in handsome men unfortunately.” Yuri smiled at him.

“Ooooh BURN!” Minho put a hand on his chest acting like his heart ached.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to my girlfriend.” Yuri once again turned her back.

 

But she didn’t see Jessica anywhere. Where did Jessica go?

 

“I was wondering about that. What becomes to the two of you? Aren’t you sisters now?” Minho asked worriedly.

“Shut up Minho.” Yuri glared at him.

 

~******~

 

Jessica went to the bar at the other floor of the hotel that they were at and drank. She needed a way to forget what she was feeling. It was usually Yuri who manages to distract her from the sadness but Yuri was busy… with Minho. Jessica knew this very well. Joohyun did that to her too but it hurt much more seeing it being done on Yuri.

 

“Someone’s not happy.” Someone sat on the stool beside Jessica.

“Donghae.” Jessica acknowledged him.

“Why do you look sad?” Donghae asked as he ordered himself a drink too.

 

Jessica kept quiet as she drank another glass.

 

“Hey. Aren’t you drinking a bit too much Jess?” Donghae asked worriedly.

“It’s none of your business Donghae.” Jessica spat.

Donghae put a hand on Jessica’s back when she leaned too far back.

 

“Don’t touch me.” Jessica frowned.

“Jess you’re drunk already. Let’s go back. Come on.” Donghae stood beside Jessica and held her waist but Jessica pushed him away.

“I’m okay. Calm down. Sit.” Jessica pointed at the stool for him to sit back while Donghae shook his head.

“You know you could just talk to me if you’re having a hard time Jess.” Donghae sighed as he sat back.

 

Jessica chuckled. She then looked at him straight in the eye.

 

“I wonder if I stayed with you it wouldn’t hurt this much… because it really hurts. Right now? It hurts so much…” Jessica said as she covered her eyes with her palms.

“Jess… Is there anything I can do?” Donghae asked sadly.

“Nothing… Unfortunately. Thanks Donghae. Bye.” Jessica stood up wobbly and left him there.

 

~******~

 

Yuri left her birthday party to look for Jessica. She was worried. Jessica wasn’t answering her phone. She looked everywhere and even asked the staff if they saw the girl. When she finally found Jessica wandering at the lobby, she wasn’t happy at all. Jessica was clinging to the wall, terribly drunk. She rushed to the girl quickly.

 

“Sica! Why did you drink?? You’re drunk!” Yuri cupped Jessica’s cheeks using both of her palms.

“Yuri……….. I hate you.” Jessica looked straight at Yuri’s eyes as tears fell from her own eyes.

 

Yuri froze. Her heartbeat going erratic.

 

“S-sica… You’re drunk… You don’t mean that…” Yuri trembled.

 

Yuri waited for Jessica’s reply but she was met with silence and Jessica’s tears and sadness.

 

~******~

 

Both of them got dragged outside of the hotel, disheveled, drunk and hurt. All of the people from the party were also there. Yuri calmed herself down but she was more worried for Jessica.

 

“Yuri, Jessica come here!” Yunho told them excitedly.

“Mom, Appa… What’s going on?” Yuri asked them.

 

Yunho pointed at a luxurious looking car with Joohyun beside it.

 

“Your birthday gift!” Joohyun beamed.

 

Yuri was pushed to where Joohyun was and Joohyun handed her a key.

 

“I hope this makes up for the 17 years that we missed.” Joohyun smiled.

“M-mom… I can’t take this. This is too much.” Yuri hesitated.

“Then can I have it?” Jessica came up from behind.

“Jessica? Your birthday isn’t till next year yet.” Joohyun was confused why Jessica came up so suddenly.

“Jessica…” Yuri looked at her worriedly.

“I can’t? Awww. Then can I take it for a ride then? Thanks!” Jessica grabbed the key from Yuri and entered the car swiftly.

“Wait Jessica! You’re drunk!” Yuri ran quickly and got on the passenger seat.

“Then isn’t it more fun??” Jessica screamed.

 

Jessica drove off with Yuri in a dangerous speed leaving Joohyun and everyone screaming.

 

~******~

 

“Sica. Please slow down… You’re going too fast…” Yuri tried to calm Jessica down.

“Shut up!” Jessica cried.

“Sica please! Pull over and let’s talk! This is dangerous!” Yuri pleaded.

 

Jessica didn’t answer back. She just kept on crying and made the car go faster. Yuri became even more worried. At this rate, they were sure to get into an accident.

 

“I said stop!” Yuri pulled Jessica’s arm.

“Don’t touch me!” Jessica pushed her away.

 

They fought for the wheel.

 

*BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!*

 

They heard a series of loud honks. A truck was coming to their direction. Yuri quickly turned the wheel on the other direction but they came in crashing on a post instead.

 

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

“Sica!”

 

*CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!*

 

 After a few moments, Jessica fluttered her eyes open. She couldn’t move. Someone was preventing her. When her seeing cleared, the sight she saw broke her heart into pieces.

 

“Y-yuri!”

 

Yuri smiled at her weakly. When they were nearly crashing, Yuri took of her seat belt and covered Jessica’s body with her own. Jessica was unharmed but Yuri was in critical condition. Blood was flowing fast from her head. She had cuts everywhere on her body from the shattered glass. It was no surprise if she had broken bones.

 

“Are you ok?” Yuri asked her.

“Y-yes… b-but you-“

 

Yuri slumped back to her seat but still looked at Jessica. Jessica saw how Yuri’s pupils dilated and how her eyelids were close to closing.

 

“NO YURI! STAY AWAKE! DON’T! I’M CALLING THE AMBULANCE!” Jessica panickly tapped Yuri’s cheeks repeatedly to make her stay awake.

“I’m just gonna sleep a bit Sica… I don’t feel well…” Yuri chuckled before wincing in pain.

“NO PLEASE YURI! STAY AWAKE! PROMISE ME! I’M GONNA KILL YOU IF YOU DO!” Jessica cried.

 

She quickly fished out her phone from her purse and called the 911.

 

“Hello please help us- Jessica Jung- We’re here at- There’s a lot of blood flowing from her head- Car accident- LISTEN JUST PLEASE COME HERE QUICKLY!!” Jessica screamed through the phone.

 

Jessica snapped her head to Yuri expecting her to be awake but she wasn’t.

 

“Yuri!” Jessica shook her arm.

 

No response.

 

“YURI!!” Tears flowed from Jessica’s eyes like a waterfall.

 

If only her tears could save a life…

 


 

A/N:

Red head...