Third.

Mother, Sister, Daughter, Lover

Chapter 3

 

“I-I’m sorry! It’s just that I’m a big big fan of Memorata shoes.” Yuri bowed in apology to Barbie.

“I’ve dreamed of having one but it’s too expensive for my wallet.” Yuri grinned.

“Oh this one?” Barbie pointed at her shoe while Yuri nodded frantically.

“I designed it. It’s part of Memorata’s summer collection.” Barbie proudly said.

 

As if hearing a magic word. Yuri jumped in joy.

 

“OH MY GOD! THAT WAS YOU!?” Yuri kept on bouncing until she was stopped by Barbie.

“I’m sorry have we met somewhere?” Barbie asked.

 

“In my heart we have met.” Yuri sniggered in her thought.

 

“No actually I came from the province. It’s my first time here in Seoul. By the way? What’s your name?”

“Jessica.” Barbie smiled.

 

“Barbie’s name is Jeshika.” Yuri smiled happily.

 

Yuri told Jessica her hopes of becoming classmates with her but learned that Jessica was enrolled in Industrial Design while Yuri was in Business Administration. They talked for awhile more until Jessica’s bodyguard butted in and motioned that it’s time for Jessica to go.

 

“I’m sorry. I need to go.”

“Oh no. It’s okay. Bye bye!”

 

Jessica only smiled and walked away with her guard.

 

“You’re really pretty Jessica!” Yuri shouted.

 

Jessica turned around and waved back to Yuri.

 

“Woaah! She’s so pretty.” Yuri dreamed.

 

*

 

“Jessica!”

“M-mom! You’re here!”

“Of course darling. I just came from the mall. I went shopping.”

“You went shop-“

“I bought you new clothes!” Joohyun beamed.

“Oh… I wanted to go buy some stuff too.”

“Don’t worry darling. I already bought everything you’ll ever need.”

“Aaah… Thank you mom…” Jessica sounded disappointed but as usual her mother didn’t notice.

“No problem. Let’s go? I’ll take you out to lunch.”

 

Two different vibes from the mother and daughter can be felt. Joohyun’s was pure bliss while Jessica’s was suffocation.

 

*

 

Yuri at the diner.

 

“Umma can you believe it?? I met Jeshika!”

“Jeshika? Nugu?”

“Jeshikaaa~ The daughter of the makers of Memorata! You know the one who’s in the magazines I collect??”

“Kwon Yuri. Did you really go there to enroll or you just wanted to fool around??”

“Eeeey umma~ You know me.” Yuri used her aegyo.

“I know I know. I’m just teasing you. Are you fine by yourself there?”

“Of course umma. I just had a rough patch on my first day but I’m doing fine now.”

“Rough patch?”

“I got robbed the moment I stepped out of the bus. Hahaha.”

“YAH KWON YURI! Are you crazy?? How can you laugh about something like that?! Do you still have money there?? ARE YOU EATING??”

“Ummaaa~ I told you. I’m fine. I got a job at a diner near the school and the registrar at the school helped me with my papers so I can get enrolled.”

“Yuuuriii~ Jinjja. Promise meeee. You're gonna take care of yourself there okay?? You promisee? How bout I just go there??”

“Umma. I’m fine. I promise. Besides, apartments cost a lot of money. I’m lucky there’s dorm prepared for scholars. You don’t know anyone here right? Don’t worry about me mom. I’m super fine!”

 

The other line was silent.

 

“Actually my family whom you haven’t met and you don't know about... is there.” Boa thought.

 

*

 

“So I heard Minho and Donghae are accepted at KAIST too.” Her dad started.

“Yes dad.”

“Remember what I told you Jessica. I don’t want that Donghae anywhere near you.” Joohyun sternly said.

“I remember.”

“Good.”

 

Attempting to liven up the atmosphere, Yunho changed the subject.

 

“So Minho got into Business Ad huh? That guy’s a real smartie pants.”

 

Jessica giggled at her dad while her mom excused herself from the table and accepted a phone call. After awhile, she came back.

 

“Who was that honey?” Yunho asked.

“Oh. It was someone from the school.”

 

Jessica’s ears rang.

 

“What did they want?” She asked her mom.

“I signed you up for a tutor.” Joohyun said nonchalantly.

 

Tutor? Really??

 

“Honey. Jessica’s in college now. She’ll be fine by herself.”

“She flunked in the exam. Worse, she didn’t get in to Business Ad. She’s not fine by herself.”

 

Jessica dropped her head down low. Suppressing the tears that were about to fall.

 

 

*

 

FREEDOM.

 

Was what Jessica wrote on her sketch pad. Why can’t she have that?

 

*knock* *knock*

 

Jessica quickly wiped her tears away.

 

“Baby? Can I come in?” Yunho said.

“Sure dad.”

 

Yunho sat on Jessica’s bed and patted her head.

 

“You okay?”

“I’m… okay.”

“I’m so sorry about your mom. I already told her not to go through the tutor thing.”

“It’s okay dad. I know she just wants to be proud of me right?”

“Silly. We’re always proud of you. Infact I’M so proud of you. Your design for last summer’s collection made the sales go through the roof. In fact! You’re gonna have your OWN collection next year!”

“REALLY? REALLY REALLY REALLY DAD??”

“Of course baby!”

“Waaaaaaa~”

 

She hugged her dad tightly. He’s the only good thing around this house.

 

*

 

Yuri just got home from a tiring day at the diner. She freshened herself up and propped herself on her bed.

 

"Good job Yuri. You did great today. Tomorrow is another day." She started her daily 'talk' time with herself.

 

"It's gonna be hard but you can do it. You're a Kwon. Kwons don't give up! Hwaiting!" she tried to cheer herself up but ended up not feeling so.

 

"URRRRGHH!" she burried her face in her pillow.

"God I wish I had a friend right now. So I won't have to do monologues by myself here."