Mistake

You are Special

Xiumin went digging through his stuff trying to find a good picture of his parents. Sure there were lots of his parents pictures on the internet but he wanted one where they were smling a true smile, one where they weren't in buisness suits, where they didnt look like dictators, where they actually looked like parents.  Xiumin fumed throwing stuff over his shoulder as he dug to the bottom of his closet until he got to a box. It was opened and there were several pieces of clothing hanging out of his but as soon as he pulled them out of the way he saw what he was exactly looking for. There was a big thick dark book with hand crafted letters on the front reading 'Photo Album' in light blue stitched letters. He grabbed it and jumped on the bed next to Bunny who was just watching him the whole time. Xiumin smiled and sat up next to her with his back to the headboard as he opened it to the first page. There on the first page was a picture of baby Xiumin sitting on his mom's lap on his second birthday, his face covered with cake.

"There's omma" he said pointing to his mom.

Bunny looked at the picture seeing how happy her mom looked holding her older brother. Her mom had a big grin over her face as she laughed while Xiumin had stuffed a big piece of cake into his face. There under that picture was a picture of Xiumin on his father's shoulders looking like they were at a zoo by the giraffe that was behind them. Bunny was emotionless as she looked over the pictures seeing how happy her parents were. But suddenly she started to see pictures of them looking strict and uptight in buisness suits. Her mom was sophisticated with her long hair pulled back away from her face and in her black appropriate suits. Her father was handsome with his freshly shaved face and combed hair in his fitted tailored suits. Xiumin turned to the last page to show a full family picture of thier parents and Xiumin. Her mother was sitting in a chair smiling happily at the camera with Xiumin behind the chair his hand on her shoulder, also smiling big. Her father stood next to Xiumin with both his hands on Xiumin's shoulder, a big grin plastered on his face. Bunny made a small face.

She could remember. She remembered how her mom and dad would visit her and her mom would sit on the edge of her bed and tuck a piece of her hair under her ear while her father would stand by the door. Her mom would place a wrapped gift on her lap telling her it was a gift apologising for not visiting sooner. She would hear her father telling her mom that they had been there long enough and it would be time to go. Her mother would kiss her forehead saying they would visit again soon and her father would just pat her shoulder before leaving. But then they wouldn't be back for months until she remembered they would always be here on this one day. This one day where the nurses would bake her a cake and sing to her, her parents would come and stay a little bit longer than usual. They would each hand her a present and wait for her to open them before leaving. Bunny could only really remember seeing them twice a year the last few years. Speaking of, where were her parents?

"Where's omma and appa?" she asked looking up at Xiumin.

Xiumin gulped hearing that question and blinked back the tears. He closed the photo album and set it on the nightstand.

"Um they're dead, they died in a car crash" Xiumin's voice cracked.

"Did the nurses not tell you?" he asked.

"They did, I thought they lied" Bunny looked down at her feet.

"Why would the nurse's lie?" he asked looking down at Bunny.

Bunny just shrugged before crawling off the bed and turning her XBox on to play NBA Basketball against the computer. Xiumin watched as she played her videogame, beating the computer by a long shot. His eyes scanned the shelves of videogames to the XboX, Wii, PS3, and the PSP on the desk with the Nintendo DS. She had these expensive electronics that any child would have loved to have, but it seemed that Bunny had no idea how much they were worth. Xiumin had kind of wondered where she had gotten all these electronics from anyways, it must be from his parents. Xiumin still wondered why they never told him of Bunny. Why it took twenty years for him to find out her had a sister. Then he remembered his uncle's words.

'They were embarrassed by her, let's face it, how would it look if the perfect busniess couple with a korean pop star son had an autistic daughter they had been keeping a dirty little secret'

'No they couldn't be embarassed by her'

But then why did they keep her in the nursing home and didnt move them in with them? They couldn't have thought of Bunny just as some dirty little secret, no parent could have thought of their own child like that. But then they kept her a secret from Xiumin and the world too. Just because she was autistic didn't mean that she would ruin their image. But they didn't ever mention her, and said that Xiumin was an only child in many interviews. Xiumin's heart rate started to increase as he thought about it more. His parents did keep Bunny a secret, their dirty little secret from the world. But they must of had their reasons besides being embarassed by her. Didn't they?

"Why did my parents keep Bunny a secret?" Xiumin barged into his uncle's office.

"Hello Minseok" his uncle said not looking up from his papers.

"Tell me, why did they keep Bunny a secret" Xiumin almost growled stopping in front of his desk.

"I already told you" his uncle sighed reading over a document.

"No, that's a lie they could never be embarassed of their own child, they could never be embarassed of Bunny" Xiumin shook his head.

"Well they were and that's why she was kept at the home for twenty years" his uncle plainly said.

"No, you're lying" Xiumin growled clenching his fists.

"Minseok!" his uncle yelled.

Xiumin's head snapped up seeing his uncle standing now with a fist on his desk that had ommited a loud bang throughout the room. His uncle's yes were hard holding a hell's fire like glare on Xiumin. Xiumin took a step back having never seen his uncle this angry before.

"You're parents were horrible people, they kept a young girl a secret from the world as a secret they were ashamed of and never let her see the outside world of the walls of the nursing home. And when they became rich and sucessful they even had the nerve to say that Teukbyeolhan was a imperfection to their life and were planning to keep her there forever. They never wanted word of her to get out no matter what, they only visited her twice a year and tried to make it up with all those stupid electronics. You know what your mother told me, she said she should've gotten that abortion instead of running out of the building. Your parents thought she was a mistake and that a mistake should stay hidden. Now tell me Minseok, am I lying?" his uncle yelled.

Xiumin's eyes widdened. He never thought his parents would ever say something like that. His mother had been a kind woman and supprotive towards him for everything. His father had been strict but he was an honest man. When they had their buisness going, they were always so nice to other people, even to other competing companies. They were very popular for being chartiable and giving with donation to several organizations. His parents couldn't have said such things, there was no way. But the hard daring look in his uncle's eyes had him convinced that he wasn't lying. But no matter how much Xiumin didn't want to believe that his parents would talk about Bunny, who had no idea what was wrong with her, as a mistake. as an imperfection, an ashament, an embarassment, it was true.

"No, she's nota mistake. She's my baby sister. She's your niece. She's a dancer. She's a girl. And she is loved. She is loved by me. She is loved by fans. She is loved by my friends. And she will continued to be loved and known. My parents were wrong about her and I feel sorry for them, that they couldn't see how gifted she is. I feel sorry for them that they couldn't see how sucessful she is. How popular and loved she is. But I'm going to make it up for them" Xiumin said mostly to himself.