Chapter 14:

My Perfect Fairytale

 

Author’s note:

Hellooooooooo dear readers!

It’s been awhile.

 

Sorry if i’m a slow updater. :”) Promise i’ll update more early next time. ;D I’m sad because you don’t comment. :( Comment and Inspire meeeh! :))

I won’t bother you anymore since maybe you won’t read this AN of mine.

READ AND VOTE. Oh! Comment too! Pweeassseee. :”D 

 

Happy reading!

 

Chapter 14: “I-i’m just a bet?”

 

*Kim Minjee's POV*

 

I was a little spaced out. Waiting for Donghae, I looked out the glass window of the shop and memories started to flash back within my eyes. I know i was too young to remember everything of this place back then, but i know, alot happened on our stay to this place. Mokpo was my birthplace. It was my home. All things memorable happened here. I was six years old, and just days after i turned to that age, we moved to seoul and i don't have any idea why.

 

 

 

-Flashback-

It was already 7 in the evening. The visitors started to bid goodbye. And before they could leave, my father grabbed their attention first.

He took the microphone, “Can i get everyone’s attention please.” He said with his deep, cold voice. I turned at him, confused. My brother was beside me and on the other side was my mother.

I quickly glanced at my brother and saw him somehow trembling. He was alittle spaced out. He has been like this since earlier he fetch me from the playground. We walked home and usually he would ask me how my day was just like a dad. But earlier? Nothing. He was just silent. I ignored it. I thought it was just nothing. And then, i turned back to my father.

 

“Thank you all for coming,” He said, “You all don’t know how thankful i am that you are all here tonight to celebrate my daughter’s 6th birthday.” He continued, “Before you leave, I just want to announce a quick thing.”

 

The crowd fell silence and only the kids my age were talking and shouting because of playing.

“This will be, not only her, but also all of us... our last birthday here in mokpo.” He finally blurted out. Curious whispers could be heard among the visitors.

 

“We’ll be leaving a few days from now to Seoul and we won’t be coming back” He smiled coldly, obviously fake. What really did happen?

“Thank you all and have a good night.” He ended. After that, he went down to the stage and talked to some curious visitors.

I turned to my mother, “Mom, why are we leaving?” I asked innocently.

My mom smiled sadly, obviously just done crying since her eyes were puffy. I just don’t understand.

 

“You’ll know soon, sweetie. You won’t understand for now.”

 

---

 

Soon? I smirked at my own thought. When’s that soon she’s talking about? Is it a relative of never?

 

I once asked them, but i ended up almost getting grounded by my mom. Good thing dad was there and convinced my mom not to. Dad.. he is my hero. He saves me from troubles and always protects me from everything. I just don't know if it's still the same now. Especially when he knew i ran away.

 

I shifted my eyes to Donghae, who was now busy ordering our ice cream. By the looks of it, the girl in the cashier was attracted to him. She kept smiling and she never left her eyes on Donghae’s perfect face. I smirked. But suddenly, a thought ran on my mind; What if he knew who i really am? Would he rejoice because the person he was belittling a few hours ago was really the person infront of him? Or will he get mad because i lied to him and never told him who i really am?

 

Come to think of it, I didn’t remember how we even got so close like we are right now.
How did he notice me when almost all of the female population in school crowded around him, waiting for him to notice them too. I felt like i’m having my fairytale right now. Or fantasy.

Just like the common plot on the other stories i’ve read before.

The girl is just an ordinary girl (But I know i am not) and She was just another nobody. When all of a sudden, the guy started to notice her and attracted to her.

Cheesy Love stories... tss.

 

I snapped back from my thoughts when i heard the girl in the cashier giggle. I looked up at her direction and saw Donghae acting cute infront of her. Playboy.

 

He then turned around and caught me looking at him disgustingly. And why did i even do that?

 

Donghae winked at me and then walked towards me. I gave the girl behind the cashier a quick glance and saw her change her expression.

 

Aaaww. So you thought he was really serious? Too bad girl. Out of jealousy, i smirked at her disappointed face.

 

He handed the ice cream infront of me. He was still smiling. I took the ice cream and started to eat. I raised an eyebrow at him and pouted,

 

"What?" He asked for the third time this day.

 

"Nothing." I smiled.

"Getting moody again, i see." He mumbled. When can he stop this teasing, really?! It's a side effect! Side effect i say! He's been teasing me about my 'thing' since earlier! He sat across me,

"What's your favorite color?" He suddenly asked randomly. I raised an eyebrow at him again,

"White." I said quickly. He chuckled. “What?” This guy has some serious problems.

 

He then lifted hand and wiped the ice cream beside my lips. I flinch at his sudden move, but i tried to hide that. I let him. But his hand slowly moved and touching my lips. He rubbed his thumb at my lips and he stared at it seriously. I felt an alarm and quickly turned my head to the side, removing his hand.

 

I cleared my throat and swallowed the lump that was forming, “S-so, what about yours?” I asked but didn’t looked at him.

 

"A-ah, Blue.. and sometimes black too." He answered, "What does your father do?" He was now back to himself.

I looked at him, but didn't reply. "You'll know soon." I said,

"Soon?" He repeated as he raised an eyebrow.

"How about your parents, what do they do?" I changed the subject even though they were so obvious. He looked at me with his what-the-heck-you-don’t-know? Look.

"I think you know what my dad does, and my mom, she's in Japan. You saw her at the party, right?"

"Yeah," I answered.

 

"When's your birthday?"

"Four days after this day."

 

"What?" The fourth time this day. His eyes lit up. "Really?" He smiled.

 

"No." I made a serious face but later laughed, "Yes, really."

 

I don't know which is more uncomfortable, The awkward silence between us, or  the feeling i had like someone is watching me.

 

I looked around the shop but i didn't see anyone. Maybe i'm just getting paranoid.

 

"Hyemin-ah," I turned back at him.

 

"I have a confession to make." He said seriously. My heart beated fast like a marathon.

 

"w-what?" I stuttered. Well, who wouldn't? Maybe he’ll..-

"The truth is," He continued, "W-we.. we.." What is he trying to say? Say it already! Say you like me too and you have already moved on with your damn first love! "We made a bet.. of you." He finally blurted out. I felt like my world stopped moving. His honesty caught me off-guard. A bet? Me? So, Wait- all this time, he was just playing? I-i’m just a bet? His face tells me he's not joking.

 

I looked at him and searched for a hint that he was just playing a prank on me, which later on he’ll simply laugh and tell me he was just joking. But there was none.

But what if it was really true? Is he beside me right now because of that stupid idiotic bet he said they did?

 

"A.. bet?" I tried to laugh calmly.  Making a bet about me.. am i really that easy to play with? I stood up, about to leave, when he grabbbed my wrist,

"Before you make any conclusions, just listen to my explanation first."

 I sat back, though my hands were trembling, i tried to be calm. Maybe it will also be fair to hear his side too, right? Atleast he told me this himself before i hear it from anyone else.

 

 

"Remember the first time we met? Back at Bada?" He started, i nodded. "It was way before we made the bet so all the things i did that day is true. We made the bet after that. There was money included but the only thing i did it was because of pride."

 

Pride. That . Only a 5 lettered word made him do this to me? I could never understand guys. When did I? Even my own brother, i couldn’t.

 

I don't know if i should believe him, but the way he explained it was convincing enough for me to believe him. He was nicknamed “The three second guy” because all of the girls would fall for him that easily. But as for me, it took us a little while before i could finally admit i like him.

"Everyone said you are hard to get, so they challenged me." He continued, "At first, i was just doing it for the bet.. but later, i realized, it wasn't anymore."

"Then, what?" I managed to ask, my tone started to rose.

"I don't know either." He chuckled as he ruffled his hair, "That is why i'm telling you this now. It's because i realized i no longer do this because of that. And also there's no more point of hiding this from you."

He took out his phone and showed me a message.

 

From: Heechul

Yah! Lee Donghae. Today's the due of the bet. Did you succeed?

 

I turned back to him. So, Heechul- wait, every one of them i met during the party, they all knew about it? Including Hyukjae? At the moment, i felt betrayed. Donghae looked back at his phone, searching again for something and showed it to me again.

 

To: Heechul

No. I failed.

 

Failed? No, he didn't. I completely fell inlove with him and that's the truth.

"Now, get angry all you want. Slap me if you want. But all i know is that, i became honest with you." He closed his eyes and waited.

I expected to get angry, to hate him, to shout at him.. but, i couldn't. Maybe i'm just.. oh i don't know, innocent? Yes, it hurts knowing i was just a bet to them, but the more i think about it, i just realize that because of that bet, we got closer.

And all that mattered right now, was he told me about it honestly. because truthfully, it will hurt more if i knew it from others.

"So, right now.. is this still part of that bet?" I managed to calmly ask. I just realize that no matter how this situation hurts me, not even a tear spilled out of my eyes. Good.

 

"No." He opened his eyes and smiled, somehow relief that i didn't shout, slap and did anything bad to him. I chuckled. His expression now confused.

 

"Well, didn't it say today's the due? it all end this day right? So, it's all in the past now. No need to be angry." I said and smiled.

 

"You know what, i just realized why i like you." He said and smiled. Like? He likes me? "It's because you're cool." I smiled and felt my cheeks warm up.

 

"I promise i won't hide anything to you anymore." He curled his pinky to mine. “No more hiding for both of us.” He added. Why? What are we? Are we even something, Donghae?

“Promise?”

 

“P-promise.”

We both looked at each other, and before i could react, he placed his hand on my chin and planted a kiss on my forehead.

Donghae.. i’m sorry. i wish i could do the same too; not hiding anything from you.