Promises

Fighting Over Seoul and Your Heart

 

Promise

 

It was a weekend. I was somehow sad and happy at the same time. But today I felt more of the sad side of me today. I tried to study, but I wasn’t in focus right now. I took a walk, hoping to calm and relax myself.

 

I sat at the bench as the wind blows. It was already sunset, but what’s the point of staying at home anyways? Beast had a mission and left me. I don’t have anyone to be with. Well, I do, but I’m just afraid to see him. I never became so worried about what would others think of me. It felt as if his opinions would only matter.

 

I sighed and closed my eyes as I listen to the sound of all the voices around me. The sound of children laughing, ahjummas complaining, ahjusshis yelling and so much more, and yet there is only one voice I wanted to hear.

 

As soon as the sun set, I started walking already. For some reason, I went back to the old streets were I used to live, well more like work as a young thief. I heard cheers of drunken men. I can’t believe they’re still the same. It has been a while since I left this place, but there’s no change. The 5 of them were still drinking.

 

“Hey, look who we have here!” One of the drunken ahjusshis said. “I remember her! She was the young thief!” One added. I balled my fists and hit him in the face. “YAH!” he screamed. One by one they all stood up and started attacking me.

 

I avoided them and tried not to hit them, but I was forced to hurt them. I kicked the other one and punched in the face the one of them. I jumped at the back of the guy I punched earlier and pushed him to the last one.

 

Suddenly, I was carried and thrown. I tried to stand up. I maybe strong, but when I’m injured, I have a hard time regaining energy. As soon as I was back on my feet, I punched one of them again harder and he fell. I kicked the other one in his crotch and he also fell. I managed to shove the two guys. Then I heard a loud sound of a beer bottle breaking. And it didn’t come from anywhere. I heard it coming from my back.

 

My vision started to blur and I slowly lost feeling and control of myself. Then everything became blank.

 

_._._._._

 

I moved my finger and it did. “Minyoung-ah?” I heard a voice. Is it him or just one of the people from the company? I tried to open my eyes, and I successfully did. I blinked to get a clear vision of what was around me. I looked and saw the face I wanted to see, and heard the voice I wanted to hear.  

 

“Minyoung-ah,” he called again. I wanted to smile for a long time, but I just can’t. “What happened?” I asked. “I saw you fighting some ahjusshis and I can’t let anyone hurt you.” He said. Oh my heart. What is happening?

 

“You… aren’t you hurt? You sacrificed your safety for me. I can handle that fight.” I told him. “I don’t care if I get hurt as long as you’re fine.” He said and held my hand. “Jungsu oppa,” I called his name. “Just rest.”

 

“Now, can I promise you some things?” He said and held my hand tighter. “First, I promise to always protect you and stay by your side. Second, I promise that I will always pick you up after school like what I promised. Third, I will also protect myself and will not let anyone hurt me, but you are an exception, especially what happened yesterday.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “Mianhamnida.” I said. “It’s okay. I should know more about you.” He smirked. “And lastly, I will someday make you smile.” He held his pinky up and I wrapped mine around his. If only you know how much you make me happy and made me feel like a person.