Can you tell me the story of you and mommy?

The Story of Us

 

 
“Be in bed Yong Jia Li!” Junhyung called from the kitchen as he washed the last of the dishes from tonight’s dinner. Jia Li scurried around the apartment like a little mice.
 
“I’m waiting for Daddy to tuck me in,” Jia Li giggled as she raised her arms in the sky like a plane soaring in the sky.
 
Junhyung shook his head with a small smile. “You big baby. Did you brush your teeth yet at least?” Jia Li smiled and crossed her arms, waiting for him. “Of course. My breath smells like strawberry mint!”
 
Junhyung chuckled as he turned off the tap and dried his hands on the end of his old t-shirt. “Come here!” He ran towards Jia Li and scooped her up in his strong arms. He swung her around playfully like an airplane until he reached her bedroom. 
 
“TOO FAST DAD. TOO FAST!” Jia Li screamed. Junhyung slowed down his pace like a slowpoke making Jia Li roll her eyes. “Now you’re too slow!” 
 
Junhyung gently dropped Jia Li on the bed as he draped the duvet over her tiny body. For a six year old, her body was so delicately small and skinny. It worried him sometimes to see her look so malnourished. Each year, her body looked as if she hadn’t grown an inch.  That’s what he liked spoiling her with lots of home cooked meals; he never bought her any fast food. He didn’t want to destroy her precious body with all that disgusting oil and saturated fat. Not saying he never caved in once in awhile, that is. There were times where he did. On those rare blue moon days. 
 
Junhyung smiled warmly as he patted Jia Li’s bangs back. She relaxed at his loving touch. 
 
“Good night Princess.” Junhyung pressed a kiss on her forehead. “Good night, Daddy.” Jia Li replied. 
 
He smiled at her and gently tucked the blanket beneath her chin. “Sweet dreams. I’ll see you there.” He said, his voice almost hushed. She nodded. He smiled at her before squeezing her cute cheeks and standing up. 
 
Just before he could flick the lights off, Jia Li called him. 
 
Curious, he glanced back to see where Jia Li was sleeping. Her eyes were wide as she stared at him, contemplating on what to say. After a pause, she opened . 
 
“Can you…. Can you tell me the story of you and mommy? I want to know about mommy,” Jia Li whispered. “I want to know everything about her.”
 
That took him by surprise. Junhyung stared at her for awhile longer. She broke out into a sweet, pleading beam as she clasped her tiny hands together. The smile was so similar to yours that he couldn’t bring it to say no. There was never a time where he could say no to either of you. 
 
“Sure,” Junhyung said.
 
Jia Li put her pinky up up, “Tomorrow! Promise me you’ll tell me tomorrow when I wake up.”
 
Junhyung’s lips twichted into a smile. He walked back to her as he laced his pinky with hers. “Tomorrow.” He promised. 
 
To his pleasant surprise, Jia Li really did take a fond interest in knowing about you because the next morning when Junhyung awoke, the first thing he saw next to him was Jia Li’s curious face waiting for him. Her eyes wide, waiting for her Daddy to wake up and tell her the story of her Mommy. 
 
Startled, Junhyung jerked in his bed. He almost got a heart attack. “AIGO!” he slapped his face. “You scared me, Yong Jia Li!”
 
Jia Li laughed and hugged Junhyung, “Sorry Daddy and and good morning!” 
 
After restarting his heart, Junhyung let out a sigh of apparent relief. He broke into a smile and then ruffled her hair. He loved how keen she was on hearing the story. He got up and did his morning routine while Jia Li followed around. He brushed his teeth, she did too. He combed his hair and she did too. Junhyung was making breakfast and and Jia Li sat there waiting patiently. “Well,” she said pointed to her imaginary watch on her wrist. “I want to know about mommy now.”
 
Junhyung pretended to busy flipping the pancakes. “It’s a long a story….” 
 
Jia Li crossed her arms. “I’ll promise to stay patient. No interruptions from me at all.” 
 
Junhyung chuckled. He placed the pan down and momentarily turned to her. “You sure?”
 
She nodded fervently. Junhyung turned off the heat and placed the pancakes into two separate plates. He drizzled the syrup over the pancakes. 
 
Something close to a smile appeared on his face as he placed one plate down in front of Jia Li before he sat down on his seat with his own plate of pancakes. A look in which Jia Li never saw before took form on her Daddy’s face. “Yong Jia Li, this is the story of your mother and me.”