Surprise guest

The Story of Us

 

 
You could hear your mother call your name loudly from downstairs. It sounded urgent and rushed. Being the paranoid person you were, you ran out in an instant and glance down the stairs and saw your Mother standing there with a kind smile on her face. Your heart rate slowed and you gave her a ‘how dare you scare me like that’ type of look.
 
She waved her hands at you, a gesture she usually did when she wanted you to come down. 
 
Shaking your head with a smile of your own, you hopped down and she clasped her hands together with pleading hands. Your eyes widened at her action. 
 
“I’m so sorry sweetie,” she apologized with the look of innocence in her big brown eyes. “But I’m preparing for a business dinner with one of my Boss’s at work. Her family will be coming in an hour… but I don’t have enough time to prep for the food,” she sighed wistfully. She looked back up and smiled hopefully at you. “So I was wondering if you can you help me go pick up some things for dinner…. please?”
 
You laughed. How ridiculous your mother could be sometimes! Of course you wouldn’t mind helping her out. “Sure thing, Mom. You don’t ever need to hesitate with me.” 
 
Your mother beamed and handed you a list from her apron pocket. You took it and smiled. You ran back upstairs to grab your wallet, and jolted right out the door. 
 
The doors dinged at your entrance. The market was flocked with old women for the end of the day sale. You grabbed a basket and glanced down at the list. There wasn’t much things, in fact, it was shorter than any list your mother had ever given you. It didn’t take long for you to find the items either since you’ve always grocery shopped with your mother, and your memory was half bad either so you remembered where items were stocked and which section they belonged to.
 
After gathering all of the items in the basket, you waited in line. There was a gum pack that caught your eye, and it was a new flavour! Without hesitation, you put it in the basket. You had a thing when it comes to trying new flavours of gum…
 
As the cashier cashed in your items, you popped the gum in your mouth and began smacking your lips against each other. 
 
NOM NOM! 
 
You left the store a happy girl. Bought the food items your mother needed, bought yourself gum, and on top of that you got a nice walk. 
 
When you were near your house you saw a fancy black car parked in your driveway. You sighed. You always felt intimidated whenever your mom has business dinners at your house. With another sigh, you twisted the door knob and entered in.
 
You could smell the delicious scent of sweet and spicy pork, your mother’s famous jajan myun and kimbap. There was laughter and lots of chattering in the living room. You took off your shoes and neatly placed them on the shoe rack. 
 
The guests were sitting with their backs towards you. You quickly ran into the kitchen as discreetly as you could and placed the grocery bag ontop of the counter. Quietly, you tip toed across the kitchen and peered over the wall and gestured your mom to come over. She met eyes with you and a sweet, affectionate smile came upon your face. “Come on over. I need to introduce you to my boss,” your mother said, waving you over. 
 
You slapped your hand against your face. *Darn! I just wanted to hand you your items* Sighing, you awkwardly trudged out to the living room.
 
Following your mother’s direction, her boss turned around. Her eyes were hard on yours, her face pale white, her eyes thick with dark eyeliner and her lips formed a force smile.
 
Your mother lightly yanked on your hand when you were closer. She introduced you to the guests.
 
The old woman across from your mother nodded with that tight smile of hers. You returned an awkward smile and bowed. 
 
As you lifted your head to bow, your mother quickly whispered in a rush voice, “Her son goes to your school.  Make sure to treat him nicely.”
 
You blinked rapidly. As you straightened up, your mother led you to the empty seat on the sofa. You sat right down and then… your jaw dropped. Two set of familiar eyes stared right back into yours. His eyes were as deep as his mothers, but less sunken and much larger. It was dark brown, and it sent a chill running down your spine.
 
“J-junhyung?” You said out loud without thinking.
 
In return, he sat up as well and crossed his arms. For the first time ever, his gaze was locked within yours, not letting your gaze go. And also for the first time ever, an expression so foreign that you thought you were dreaming, he was looking at you, with an amused smirk on his usual livid face.