Different

The Story of Us

 

 
Before you knew it, your once empty and free schedule became wrapped up in an infinite loop of studies, dance, and practicing melodies on the piano. And in between of all of that, there was a small itty bitty space of free time that you were able to squeeze in dedicated to maintaining relationships with the ones dearest to you.
 
No matter how busy you were though, L would often come pay you a visit on the weekend. Sometimes he brought along his homework so the two of you could work on your work together, and sometimes he brought over food. He didn’t like you exerting yourself, and he definitely didn’t like how much homework you were given. And though he would never admit it, he secretly didn’t like how your absence was affecting him so much. Although you sat in front of him right now, it felt like you were light years away. 
 
To L, it felt as if you had changed. Something about you was different… and he didn’t like it at all. He wasn’t sure what it was, but there was something there, biting him, reminding him that you were changing right in front of his very eyes.
 
And the sad part that gripped onto his heart the most… was the fact that he couldn’t do anything to stop it all. 
 
L was lying on your bed, as you lay your head on his chest. You were reading a story and it hurt L that you weren’t paying much attention to him. It was bothering him so much. It felt like there was a block of space between you two. An idea suddenly lit up in his mind.
 
“Yah,” L said softly, breaking the silence that had droned in the room for the past half hour. 
 
You placed your finger to bookmark your page and shut the book gently. You lifted your head up and looked up at him, waiting for him to say something. 
 
Those eyes. Those were the eyes that he had fallen so deeply in love with. L repressed a sigh and half-smirked, “Let’s go do something fun. Just like old times.” His voice grew higher at the end, unable to conceal his growing excitement.  
 
You shut your book and sat up. “What do you have in my mind?”
 
L took your book and tossed to the ground. Before you could make a groan in protest, he pulled you into his arms and embraced you tightly. “I miss holding you like this.” His voice grew soft like the hush of winds in late autumn. 
 
You his cheek with your finger, a smile forming on your face. “I miss this, too.” 
 
L smiled, missing your sweet words. He was about to lean in for a kiss when suddenly your phone rang. You squirmed in his arms as you reached for it, while L missed your lips and accidentally kissed your earlobe. L released you, and at the same time, releasing a lips through his thin lips; a sigh of deep irritation.
 
You glanced at the caller I.D. It was Gongchan!
 
“Gongchan! Good evening!” You greeted, quite surprised to receive a call from Gongchan at this hour.
 
L shot you a confused look. *Gongchan?*
 
You were nodding your head to whoever was speaking on the other line. L watched you the entire time, his face growing darker by the second. “Where are you right now?” You asked while absentmindedly playing with your hair at the same time. L could hear the male respond in a deep voice. You nodded your head again, and it made L curious to know what that male was saying to you.
 
“Um,” you scratched your head and glanced around your room. “I’m not doing anything important really…”
 
*Nothing important?* L thought bitterly. 
 
“We can practice tomorrow can’t we?” You could feel a set of eyes on you and you looked at L who was looking right back at you. You smiled meekly as if to apologize about the phone call. “No, it’s too late to come over Gongchan. I’ll see your moves another day.”
 
L’s heart felt uneasy. 
 
“I’m with L right now…” you scratched your head. L heard an audible Oh on the other line. You had a sorry look on your face as you said your goodbye to Gongchan.
 
You hung up and lay back down on L’s chest. You were facing his way. “So what were you saying?” 
 
L shook his head and mumbled, “I have to go home now.” His mood completely deflated.
 
You furrowed your eyebrows. It was only 8… L never went home this early. 
 
L got up, kissed your forehead and left.
 
You looked at him in confusion, his sad back on you as he closed the door.
 
----
 
Jia Li cheered. “Yaya!! I hope this is where they break up and you enter Mommy’s life...” 
 
Junhyung smiled as he fed her dinner. They were sitting outside in the living room watching a variety show. It was set on at low volume, but even so, the two were not paying any bit of attention on it. 
 
“I was already in her life,” Junhyung smirked.
 
Jia Li crossed her arms. “But you’re being mean to her! I thought this was about you and mommy. Not L and her…”
 
Junhyung laughed and continued to feed Jia Li. “The juicy parts are coming soon.”
 
“It better be!” Jia Li opened , ready to be fed again. Junhyung pinched her nose and clucked his tongue with a soft aigooo before feeding his daughter again.