OPPA! NO!

The Story of Us

 

 
It had been a quiet morning. You had woken up a few hours ago and had not fallen back to sleep since then. You took a shower and got dressed for the day. It was sunny today and you mood was more elated than ever—though you didn’t quite know why.
 
L was out with the Infinite boys today. He had invited you to join them, but you kindly declined the offer. As much as you loved the boys, you hated feeling like you were ruining their “guy” time. 
 
An idea popped in your mind but you weren’t sure if you should go along with it. L would be furious if he found out where you went. You didn’t want to disobey him and go against his wishes but….
 
He wasn’t here. And he wouldn’t know… 
 
Plus, L knew how fond the BEAST boys were of you and he ALSO knew that the boys only meant well when it came to you.
 
You snapped your fingers and sprang up from your bed. Your mind was made up! 
 
Today, you were going to visit the dance studio! It’s been a few months since you quit and you were ecstatic to see how your oppas had improved in their dance skills.
 
You quickly put on some Levi jeans and a black graphic smiley face tee and skidded down the stairs. A bright smile on your face as you slid on your shoes. Like a quiet mouse peaking from the corner, your mom poked her head out from the living room and asked, “And where are you going today, young lady?”
 
Your mom was always so quiet that sometimes it felt like she wasn’t home. You jumped in surprise and held your hand over your heart. “Dear god Mom, make some noise next time!” Your mother smiled, and you returned the smile. “I’m going to head over to the dance studio for a bit. Is that okay?”
 
“Of course,” she replied. 
 
You blew her kiss, in which she caught, and you whisked right out of the door.
 
It didn’t take too long until you found yourself staring up at the blue sign of the dance studio. You felt so bright and happy. A chill of excitement and reminiscent slid up your back and you smiled giddily. You entered into the building. You could smell the recently polished marble floors. A strange pain hit your chest, and you realized a moment after that it was a sign from your body, indicating that it had missed the dance studio. Sure you went to the dance studio at school, but it really had no comparison to this place. Something about this dance studio rung in your heart like a loud echo; it clung to you in a strange way and you weren’t sure why. 
 
Music was playing in your old dance room and you smiled in recognition. It was a tune that you had come to familiarize after hanging out with BEAST for so long. You entered in the classroom. Everyone was dancing really hard and popping around. They looked amazing. You saw BEAST in the corner where they always practised. 
 
Yoseob look so focused, Gikwang was helping Dongwoon out with an arm movement, you could see the scowl on Dongwoon’s face when Gikwang was correcting him. You couldn’t help but stifle a laugh. Doojoon and Hyunseung were giving each other tips. Junhyung was sitting by himself, one knee propped up while the other leg spread out lazily. 
 
The dance instructor was observing the class quietly until his eyes darted over to the figure standing by the door. Right away he knew it was you and a huge grin slapped across his squarish face. He called out your name. Everyone stopped at the abrupt yell and turned their attention to you. 
 
“Hey everyone…” You said shyly. The dance instructor’s grin grew even wider and he waved you over.
 
You ran to him and gave him a big hug.
 
“Where have you been missy?! We missed you!” He exclaimed. He actually meant it. 
 
A goofy smile spread across your lips in flattery. “I’ve been really busy with school.” You looked around and nodded in approval. “You’ve worked hard, teacher.”
 
He placed a hand over his forehead and pretended to faint. “A compliment from you? My day has been completed!” He laughed, and so did you. He crossed his arms and then narrowed his eyes at you. “Please tell me the reason you returned today was because you decided to join us again…”
 
You laughed and tapped the bottom of your lip with your index finger with a playful look. “Perhaps… Give me a few months to prepare my body and I’ll join again.” 
 
He rolled his eyes in a silly manner and ruffled your head. “Feel free to speak to your friends. I’m sure I’m not the reason for your visit today.” He winked and went back to the other students. 
 
You shook your head. What a silly instructor. Your eyes flew to the corner where the BEAST boys were. They had big smiles on their faces. Yoseob held his arms open, obviously ready for you. You smiled and skipped towards him and gave him a hug.
 
“You’re back on the team?!” Dongwoon asked, a perky grin on his face.
 
You shook your head and frowned. “Just felt like visiting you guys today.” Dongwoon frowned in returned. You poked his cheek, making it hard for him to stay sad for long. 
 
Yoseob whined on your arms. “Come back to us! Like. Now.” 
 
The others nodded in agreement. You laced your fingers with Yoseobs and swung his arm back and forth. “I see you guys at school though!” 
 
Junhyung stared at your hands entwined with Yoseob. He didn’t know why but it suddenly set him off. Without realizing it, he had clenched his fist until his knuckles had turned pale white. 
 
“That’s not enough!” Gikwang protested. “Aren’t we the best oppas? Don’t you want to dance with the best of best oppas around?!”
 
You laughed. “Maybe…” 
 
Doojoon dishevelled your hair. “Aigo, alright guys back off. Obviously we aren’t cool enough for her!” 
 
“Oppa!” You slapped his arm.
 
“I’m just kidding,” Doojoon said, a warm smile on his thin lips. “Just promise to surprise visit us more often, okay?
 
You nodded. “Of course, oppa. You don’t even need to ask.”
 
The boys took a rest from the dancing and sat down in their corner. You sat down next to Hyunseung. The voices coming from the classroom  suppressed the music and soon chatters buzzed all around. Hyunseung was showing you something on his phone and the two of you were laughing, as if sharing a secret joke only the two of you knew.
 
From the corner of your eye you can see an angry glare. It felt like spikes being shot in your head. You tried to ignore it but it was kind of hard when it was like a laser just pointing right at you.
 
Across from you, Junhyung was staring in spite. He knew he was staring, and he wanted you to feel it. He watched as Gikwang threw an arm around your shoulder and peaked at what Hyunseung was showing you.
 
At this point, Junhyung definitely didn’t feel like dancing anymore. He watched in silence as his friends crowded over the two of you now. He poked his cheek with his tongue and shook his head in annoyance. How he wanted to see what was going on in Hyunseung’s phone as well. His legs were shaking from irritation and he tried his best to stay calm, but the harder he tried to stay calm, the angrier he got. And the angrier he got, the more irritated he got. He had no REASON to feel this way.
You looked up with a laugh and saw Junhyung looking more uncomfortable and irritated than he had ever had been. You cocked your head and said out loud, “Hey, are you okay?”
 
Junhyung froze. At the sound of your voice, all eyes from his best friends darted over towards him.
 
Surprise was written all over his face to hear you address him. He quickly wiped away the trace of shock and cleared his throat. “I’m freaking grand.” You noticed how his eyes were tense and his lips were slightly frowning. You sighed. People always told you, you were an open book, but Junhyung was like an open road sign. His tone was sarcastic, but you shrugged it off. The last person he would tell his worries to would be you, so the sarcasm in his voice was expected. 
 
You flashed him your signature kind smile and nodded in understanding. 
 
Junhyung softened when you looked away. *Why she gotta be so nice for?…*
 
Doojoon raised his eyebrows at his bestfriend. *What is with that soft look on his face…* Before Doojoon could interrogate him, Junhyung got up hastily and left the danceroom.
 
“Whats his problem?” Gikwang asked.
 
Yoseob shrugged, “Bipolar Junhyung as usual.” 
 
---
 
Junhyung was standing outside of the dance studio. In his pockets was a cartridge of cigarettes. He had bought the pack but never used it yet. With his fingers, he fiddled it with it and contemplated on whether or not he should smoke it. He did buy the pack for a reason. It would be stupid not to. 
 
*Ahh, it.* He pulled the box out of his pockets and opened it. He lightly tapped the bottom of the cartridge until a stick flicked out. He pulled a lighter and began smoking away the frustration. It was an unusual, and dampy taste but he could feel himself feeling lighter already.
 
*She’s just a girl… damnit. Nothing special about her… just her smile, the way she dances, her kindness… DAMN, WHERE ARE THESE THOUGHTS COMING FROM?* Junhyung tapped his cigarette and began smoking some more.
 
Suddenly, he heard someone clucking their tongue beside him. He tensed up in shock and flashed his head towards the noise. He blinked at you and saw the disappointment in your face.
 
“Okay, I know you don’t like me, but excuse you! Cigarettes are bad for you!” You warned him. You were scolding him, but he could see the care that held itself in your eyes.
 
Something about that amused him. Junhyung’s lips coiled into a smirk and took another drag of his cigarette. He saw your face twist up in agitation.
 
“Oppa!” You scolded him. “I know I have no right to tell you to stop, but… stop!” Looking at him smoking began to boil your blood. It… was like he was trying to get you pissed off.
 
He said nothing. He didn’t even bother to reply. He just kept calmly smoking next to you. Sure, Junhyung didn’t like you. Sure, he was always scary. But you knew him as a fellow school mate, and he was best friends of BEAST, and you were not going to tolerate a pack of tobacco to ruin him. 
 
Quickly, you dashed in front of him and stole the cigarette right out of his mouth. You threw it on the floor and stomped on it. “THIS. EVIL. THING. YOU DON’T NEED THIS!!!” Your voice got so loud that even you were surprised and alarmed at yourself.
 
Junhyung’s calm compose cracked and he stared at you with his mouth agape.
 
“Oppa, I know you don’t like me at all. But I really hate smokers,” you said defensively. “This had to be done. Okay. I’m leaving now. Don’t you dare smoke another. I don’t care if you call me a freak after this, but I’m going to watch you as I walk away.” You narrowed your eyes at him to make sure he knew you meant it. 
 
Junhyung stood there, stunned. No one has ever had the audacity to do that to him. But you… you were so brave. You took it out without fear of him cursing at you. 
 
He watched you walk away, his heart beating so rapidly that it felt like his heart was going to burst through his chest. *Why her?* 
 
When Junhyung’s figure was about to disappear, and you knew he wasn’t going to pull out another cigarette, you clapped your hand in satisfaction at a deed well done and turned around. 
 
Junhyung was still standing outside the studio. He could see you smile right before you turned around. He was paralyzed by that smile and he felt every one of his senses tingling with warmth.
 
“HEY! ENOUGH AIR! TIME TO COME BACK IN YOU LAZY !” yelled Yoseob. Junhyung almost gave a yelp of fright. He turned around and waved Yoseob away.
 
“Yeah, yeah.” 
Yoseob rolled his eyes and disappeared back inside.
 
Junhyung had his hands on the door but paused. He saw the trashcan next to the building. He eyed it for awhile before letting out a heavy sigh. He took out the box of cigarettes and dumped it inside the trashcan. *I can’t believe I’m doing this for her.* He went inside the building, replaying the moments that you flashed your signature smile at him.