Don't be a coward

The Story of Us
 
The initial fight between you and L left the BEAST boys stunned. Shock masks their faces, and they had no idea what to do. Yoseob was the first to react, and he ran to you. He lifted you up with ease and placed his palms gently on your cheeks. His worried eyes gazed into yours, but he said nothing as he watched the tears fall from your eyes. Shamed, you were looking down, refusing to meet eyes with his.
 
Gikwang had the urge to wipe your tears, but held back. His hands were balled into tight fists, hating to see you cry on your birthday. Beside him, he heard the youngest of their group, Dongwoon gnashing his teeth together. A small growl escaped the boys lip, “And today is her birthday, too. .”
 
Hyunseung’s eyes were cut into slits as he stared off into the distance where L had disappeared. “ing bastard.”
 
If there was anyone who hated unnecessary drama the most, it would be Doojoon. He hated having you be blamed for something that was not of your fault. It was in your good nature to provide them a temporary stay for the night because you were just trying to look out for the boys. Instead, in return you were humiliated infront of them and dumped by your boyfriend. “Stop crying, it is not your fault,” Doojoon said with as much softness in his voice he could manage. “You don’t deserve to have this ruin your day. Oppas will make it better and cheer you up, okay?”
 
Still, you didn’t look up at him. You sobbed even louder, making the boys feel even more uneasy. It was as if the words of comfort Doojoon tried to mutter out had been muted. Doojoon sighed out heavily and scratched his head. Yes, he was able to lead his team of boys in the right direction, guiding them and protecting them during their darkest hours, but never in a million years could he ever seem to be able to console a female during their hard times. 
 
By now your sobs grew even louder. You covered your face in embarrassment and shame. Yoseob was your head gently with his hands, whispering words of consolement that didn’t seem to have reached you. 
 
Junhyung’s lips were pressed in a tight line as he peered at you. Seeing you cry hit a nerve in his system. He knew of L. He knew that L was not worth a single one of your tears. The person you are destined to be with should never make you cry tears of pain. Junhyung could’ve sworn the moment L dash the gift at you, he would’ve killed L right then and there. How dare he do such a thing to a girl? Nonetheless, you? You, who was always so kind and considerate, and happy and so full of life. How dare L have the nerve to struck you in this type of way?
 
He couldn’t take it anymore. 
 
“Stop ing crying,” Junhyung ordered. His words came out like a hiss, causing everyone to shoot dagger glares his way, except for you. He hadn't meant for it to come out so painfully mean. 
 
Gikwang opened his mouth to tell Junhyung to shut up, but before he could, Junhyung strode over towards you and Yoseob. He yanked you out of Yoseobs grasp, and pried your hands off your face. He cleared his throat roughly.
 
“Look at me.” Junhyung demanded.
 
“Ya,” Yoseob said in a warning tone, no trace of friendliness on his face. “Stop being an for once and let her have some time to breathe.”
 
Junhyung dismissed him and waved his hands at the boys. “You guys go to school, we’ll meet you later.”
 
That surprised everyone. Even you. You stopped sobbing and finally, lifted your gaze up. Your mouth was open into a small o, confusion in your puffy red eyes. 
 
Uncertainty crossed Yoseob’s features. He studied Junhyung’s face. There was a certain softness beneath his cool exterior that made Yoseob hesitant.
 
“Trust me,” Junhyung assured. “She’s in good hands. I’ll make this right for us all.”
 
*What does he mean by that?* You blinked slowly. Your eyes drifted towards his hand that was roped around your wrist. It looked frighteningly tight, yet for an odd reason, his grip was gentle. 
 
Yoseob glanced back at everyone. They were just as dubious as he was. Doojoon nodded his way, a look of trust on his face. Yoseob sighed and caved in. He took a step towards you and placed a kiss on your cheek, “I want to see you smiling when I see you later. Don’t cry anymore, ok? You will always have us BEAST oppas.”
 
One by one, the boys left you and Junhyung; each one of them placing a squeeze on your arm and shoulder tenderly. 
 
The two of you stood awkwardly in the middle of the road. Junhyung remembered his grasp on you and he let go. Your arms fell back to your side, and you said nothing. 
 
Your eyes still held tears in them, making Junhyung irritated. He pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket, and regretted not washing it as often as he could. It wasn’t dirty nor did it have a stench, but it wasn’t necessarily recently washed either. “This will have to do for now,” Junhyung muttered, holding it out to you.
 
You look down and saw the black and white handkerchief. You took it with the quietest of thank yous. As you dabbed your tears away, you heard him say:
 
“Look at me,” he ordered. 
 
This time, you listened and tilted your head upwards to look at him. His usual cold demeanour was replaced with a foreign expression. It looked like sympathy. 
 
“S-sorry,” you croaked out. Your face flushed red from the heaviness in your voice. 
 
With a heavy sigh, Junhyung picked up your gift and held it to you. “You don’t have to be sorry for anything. Here. This is yours.” You took it from his hands. Junhyung had hoped to God that you will throw that back in L's face later on.
 
“Come on,” he urged. 
 
“Where are we going?” You rubbed your eyes.
 
Junhyung scoffed, “To find your damn boyfriend. You need to tell him your side of the story.”
 
You stood there hesitantly. You shook your head, but Junhyung wouldn’t have any of it. “If you’re going to break up, break up like an adult. Do not act like middle school children. He had no right to go off on you like you cheated on him. You did nothing wrong. If you’re going to break up, at least have the courage to tell him to his face that he was the one that was wrong. Be strong, not a coward. Now come on.”
 
For the second time today, Junhyung grabbed your wrist. You felt a strange rush go through you as he dragged you towards Woolim Heights. You blatantly stared up at him, a look of awe on your face. Though Junhyung was not looking back, you knew he knew you were staring at him. For him not saying anything, you were grateful.