Someone in the sky

The Story of Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV11ofQw4m0

 
~ 5 years later ~
 
Junhyung and BEAST sat on the large, sturdy bleachers as they watched their little princess, Jia Li play in her first championship for soccer. She was the smallest, yet the fastest on her team. She was sneaky and devious, and had a genius mind. She could take down anyone in the opposing team. 
 
Jia Li looks so much more like you now. Her smile, her eyes, her nose; everything, Junhyung sighed in content. 
 
Yoseob and Gikwang were waving their hands in the air. “GO JIA LI! GO YONG JIA LI!! YOU GO GIRL!!” 
 
Doojoon slapped his hands over his face while Hyunseung covered his face in mortification at their embarrassing dongsaengs. 
 
“We don’t know them,” Dongwoon sighed.
 
Junhyung scoffed at how ridiculous his friends looked. He held his hands up in a fist and pumped it up and down in a cheering motion. Now that’s how cool Dads like him cheered for their daughters. Jia Li heard the loud screams and cast a look at Junhyung and her BEAST uncles. They were the loudest people on the bleachers. She covered while giggling.
 
The way she cupped with her hands reminded Junhyung so much of you.
 
Junhyung stared up at the sky. *Hey baby, are you watching our little Princess play her first game today? She’s amazing isn’t she?* He sighed, feeling the wound around his heart open once more. He missed you so much. 
 
As quick as a wink, Jia Li suddenly ran in front of the girl on the opposite team and stole the ball. With her tiny legs, she kicked hard in the direction of the goal post. Without warning, the goalie missed the ball by an inch and it flew inside the net.
 
“YESSSSSS!” Jia Li screamed with delight. She ran towards her team mate and jumped up and down in happiness.
 
“YAAAH!!” Junhyung yelled in defiance. “THAT’S MY GIRL!!” 
 
Yoseob and GiKwang were smacking their palms against each other while chanting her name. Doojoon clapped his hands happily while Hyunseung blew a whistle with his fingers. Dongwoon danced in his seat while waving to her. 
 
Jia Li waved back and beamed at her supporting family. After receiving her first championship award, Jia Li ran towards Junhyung with her tiny trophy in her small hands. “DADDY!” she squealed as she flung her arms around Junhyung. 
 
“Princess!” Jun Hyung said softly. “You did amazing.”
 
Jia Li pulled away and beamed. “Did you record my winning shot?”
 
Junhyung frowned. He had forgotten to bring his camera.  
 
But to his surprise Yoseob stuck out his phone. “Look at that,” Yoseob cooed. “Whose that beautiful girl scoring the perfect goal?” 
 
Jia Li ogled at the screen for a moment before giggling. “THAT GIRL IS MEEE!!” 
 
Gikwang swooped her up in his arms and threw her up and down in celebration. “HURRAH!” 
 
“Yah!” Junhyung yelled. “Careful, she might poke her eye out with that trophy.”
 
Gikwang smiled and placed her back on the ground. Doojoon walked over and hugged her tightly. Hyunseung patted her head while Dongwoon bought her an icecream.
 
Junhyung glared at him, “Thanks, now I feel bad for not buying anything.”
 
Jia Li giggled as she grabbed onto Jun Hyung’s hands. “IT’S OKAY DADDY! I have you, that’s all I need.” She beamed sweetly at her number one Daddy. 
 
Automatically, his lips twitched into a smile of its own. 
 
“Araso,” Yoseob pouted as he bent down. “BEAST uncles have to leave now.” 
 
Jia Li frowned, “Already?”
 
GiKwang bent down and pouted too. “Will you miss us?”
 
Jia Li nodded as she let go of Junhyung’s hand. She hugged Gikwang and Yoseob tightly. 
 
Junhyung and Jia Li watched as the boys waved goodbye to them and dispersed in different directions. Junhyung looked down and frowned. “Aigo, your icecream is melting.” He slung the backpack he worn forward and ped it. He reached inside for something until he found a stack full of napkins he stole from McDonalds. He snickered and grabbed a few. Gently, he wiped away the smeared icecream that had melted over and hands.
 
With great care, Junhyung took Jia Li’s trophy and held onto it so she won’t drop her icecream. 
 
Jia Li was happily her icecream and with her free hand, she laced pinkies with Junhyungs. “I feel like a winner,” Jia Li said with happiness. She began skipping with joy down the path while Junhyung held onto her more firmly in case she tripped. 
 
Jun Hyung smiled. “You are a winner babygirl. You won your first game today. I’m so proud.”  
 
Jia Li giggled as she clutched harder onto Junhyung’s hands, “I wonder if any girl my age is lucky enough to have a father and uncles who love me as much as you?”
 
Junhyung smiled faded a bit. It made him sad whenever she mentioned how much she loved him and her BEAST uncles. Never once had she ever came up to him and asked him, ‘Why don’t I have a mother like all the other kids?’ 
 
Junhyung had always contemplated telling her about you, but the time was never right. 
 
Not yet at least. For now… he wanted to take time. 5 years of your absence was still not enough for him to openly talk about you. Junhyung looked up at the sky. “Mianhae,” Junhyung whispered. “One day I’ll tell Jia Li about her beautiful mother.” 
 
Jia Li tugged onto Junhyung’s arms. “Daddy what are you looking at?” 
 
Junhyung looked back down and smiled. “Someone in the sky is watching over us.”
 
After finishing the last of icecream cone, Jia Li looked up at the bright, cloudless blue sky. “Whose watching over us, Daddy?” 
 
Junhyungs softened when he spoke, “Someone who loves you even more than me.” 
 
“Huh?” Jia Li blinked. Then she giggled and poked Junhyungs tummy. “Daddy, no one can love me more than you love me! Silly Daddy!” 
 
Something lodged itself in Junhyungs throat, making the air that escaped his mouth cold and dry. 
 
Jia Li, trust me, a mothers love for her child is bigger than anything you’ll ever know. Even Daddys. And she, my Princess, loved you more than her own life.