Awkward dinner

The Story of Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztbYbMCawJ0

Dinner was frighteningly awkward. The four of you sat around the dinner table. You sat beside your Mom, while she sat infront of her boss with Junhyung seated next to her, facing you. There was light chatter from your Mom and her boss as they exchanged comments to one another. You were sitting straight, almost in a stiff manner, as you swirled your jajangmyun around your bowl. You weren’t exactly hungry, and you were sure having Junhyung look up here and there didn’t help with improving the appetite either.
 
You didn’t need to look up to know he was glancing your way. A shiver went down your spine at the thought of wondering what was crossing through his mind. What if he hated you so much that he wanted to kill you? That was possible. Actually, that could be the reason why he didn’t like you. Psychopaths hate people for no reason… and Junhyung has no reason to hate you, but he does! There are many cases of teenage psychopaths these days and having him know where you live now… this just makes him games that much easier to play. Oh dear god…
 
Unconsciously, you cringed hard at the thought of being killed by Junhyung.
 
Three pair of eyes landed on you. You heard your mother clear and you broke out of your reverie. You looked up and froze. Everyone around the dinner table was looking at you. You broke into a sheepish smile, “Sorry, I tend to have this sudden shiver when I taste really delicious food.” You stuffed the jajangmyung in your mouth and smiled widely. Your mother shook her head with a smile. Mrs. Yong gave you an amused look and went back to saying whatever she was saying to your mother. Junhyung snorted as he took a sip of his tea.
 
You wanted so badly to snort back, but reminded yourself that he could be a psychopath and that he could have the power to kill you at any minute. Sighing, you picked up some kimchi, at the same time a pair of chopsticks took the piece you wanted. You lifted your head up; your mouth opened in a wide O. Jun Hyung was eating it without any expression on his face. THIEF! Grimacing, you picked up another piece and lowered your head as you chewed on it silently until you heard someone say your name with a sharp formal address to it. 
 
Instantly, your head up snapped up.
 
Mrs. Yong had her hands crossed on the table with a smile on her face. “What are some of your hobbies?” She asked, looking deeply into your eyes as if she truly was curious to know about your hobbies.
 
You blinked once before answering. “Er, well. Dancing, I suppose. It’s always been something I’ve been quite fond of.” 
 
Ms. Yong nodded in approval. “You know,” she smacked her lips together. “Junhyung here really loves dancing too!” She put her hands on Junhyung’s shoulder with pride. 
 
Junhyung stiffened, but made sure no one else around the table noticed. His mother’s grip tightened on his shoulder blade, and a groan of protest almost escaped his lips until he caught sight of you. You were looking at him and his Mother with a smile on your face. Junhyung rolled his eyes and pretended to decide which side dish he wanted to eat. When does she not smile? Jesus. 
 
“I think it would be wonderful if you two ever decide to do a duet together.” She clapped her hands together, a beam on her face as if this was the most brilliant idea she’s ever come up with. Your smile slipped off your face. Throughout this whole night, you had not seen Mrs. Yong as happy as she was now. 
 
You opened your mouth to respond until you met eyes with her glistening ones. It was the type of eyes that sparkled in anticipation. 
 
“I would love to….” You started. From the corner of your eyes, you can see Junhyung look at you in disgust. You responded with your own look of disgust and said, “But I’m nowhere close to being a good dancer. I like to dance, but I don’t dance well. Maybe in the future I can ask Junhyung sunbae to help. Anyway, it was nice meeting you two. I have a ton of homework to start. Enjoy the rest of dinner and go home safely later.” You stood up, bowed, and—
 
“Wait,” your mother said before you could flee. “I’m sure your homework can wait, darling. Later on Ms. Yong and I have to discuss business details. Would you like to keep Junhyung company? It’ll only be for a little while.”
 
Ms. Yong curled a hair behind her ear and gave you a sweet look. “The two of you can get to know each other as well.”
 
You looked at her, and then looked at him. Junhyung’s jaw was dropped, and a fire was blazing in his eyes. 
 
“I’m not 5 years old,” he said with gritted teeth. “I don’t need to babysat.”
 
She shot him a hard look. “Please Junhyung, control your anger.”
 
Just by seeing the look on his face was enough for you to tell how much he must really detest you. Though you felt a bit hurt that he hated you this much, at the same time you felt relieved because you didn’t want to spend time with someone who could possibly be a psychopath. You had your most innocent face on and you flashed Mrs. Yong your deepest, most apologetic smile ever and said, “I’m so sorry, Mrs. Yong. I really do have a stack of homework to begin. Perhaps next time I’ll take up the offer to babysit Junhyung.” Before they could interject, you fled away.
 
When you disappeared, Junhyung blinked twice in surprise. Deep down, he was disappointed that you had left so abruptly. I only came to see you and you give up already? Junhyung sat up from his seat now, smiling towards your mother for the first time tonight. “This was a delicious meal. Thank you, but I think I’ll be on my way now.” 
 
Mrs. Yong raised a brow at him. “Where are you going?” 
 
“I have to meet up with BEAST. They’re just around the block.” Mrs. Yong was about to say something but Junhyung quickly added, “Don’t worry. I’ll be home early.” Mrs. Yong narrowed her eyes at him, but said nothing else. Your Mother escorted him to the door where he slipped on his shoes and bowed goodbye to her.
 
After your mother had locked the door, Junhyung jogged down the path and glanced up to the second floor of the house. Your window was wide, and the curtains were not draped together at this time of night. The light in your room was on, leaving every corner of your room lit. Junhyung couldn’t see you at all though, and he sighed. Is my face that scary that you don’t even bother to put effort in trying to become my friend?
 
---
 
Jia Li’s eyebrows were raised high and she had her tiny arms crossed over her chest as she sat on her bed. “How do you expect Mommy to even want to be your friend if she thinks you’re a pyscho who wants to kill her?” 
 
“Hey,” Junhyung held his hands up in defense, “I was told women loved bad boys. I was trying to be a bad boy.”
 
“Daddy, I may not be a woman, but I am a girl, and as a girl, I think having a boy who gives us candy and flowers is a whole lot better than having a bad boy any day,” said Jia Li, her little voice going up high as she nodded her head, agreeing with her own statement.  
 
This time it was Junhyung’s turn to raise his eyebrows. “You seem to know what you’re talking about. Do you have a crush on a boy?!”
 
“What?!” Jia Li squeaked. She shook her head from side to side vigorously.
 
“Jia Li~~~~” Junhyung teased.
 
“DADDY! STOP!” She raised her tiny soft palms out, her voice steady and firm as she pouted at her father. “This isn’t about my story, it’s about yours! Continue on!”