Happy Birthday!

The Story of Us
 
November rolled around, and the weeks went by, and the days came and left and before you knew it, it was your birthday. Every year you spent your birthday with your parents. Never once did they miss your special day. It was a tradition to go out and try something new every year, but unfortunately, things do change, much to your dismay. This year your father was stuck in Taiwan due to work, and your mother was asked to accompany Madam Yong in Japan for some sort of press conference. 
 
The night of your birthday, your mother sent you a secret voicemail filled with lots of kiss sound effects, telling you to eat a lot and hoped that you would have a very happy birthday. Your father skyped with you and when the clock tick 12, he blew a whistle and sang you happy birthday on webcam. 
 
Although you couldn’t spend the day with them physically, you still felt very blessed that they went out of their way just to wish you happy birthday whether it be a phone call or a video call. You went to sleep very happy, knowing that you had the best parents in the world. 
 
Just when you had hit dreamland, you were suddenly awoken by a loud shrill. It was your phone. You groaned and rolled to your side. Sleepily, you searched for your phone with your hand. It moved about on your night stand until it found the cold, rectangular device.
 
“Hello?” You answered in an almost hushed tone. 
 
A very familiar voice chuckled on the other line. The chuckle woke you up just a little bit. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL GIRLFRIEND! TODAY IS YOUR SPECIAL DAY! I LOVE YOU!”
 
A sleepy smile rose faintly on your lips. “Thank you baby, I love you too.”
 
L chuckled again, his low voice sounded extremely husky tonight. He could sense your sleepiness through the phone. “Well well, aren’t you sleeping early tonight!” 
 
You nodded on your pillow, muffling your phone to your ear. “Mhmmms…” 
 
L laughed in adoration. “You’re so cute.”
 
Absentmindedly, you nodded again with closed eyes even though you knew he couldn’t see your response.
 
L was about to say something when there was another beep on the other line. Who could it be? Mom again?
 
“Sorry Myungsoo oppa,” you interrupted him. “It might be my mom… I’ll call you back later, okay? Thank you for the wishes! Love you.”
 
A part of him deflated, but not wanting to keep you from your mother, L sighed understandingly and said okay. “Goodnight and I’ll see you tomorrow okay my beautiful girlfriend.”
 
You giggled, and he laughed in return. 
 
You clicked on the other line, a little more awake now. The number was unknown… “Hello?”
 
An adorable voice filled with lots of aegyo called your name on the other line—definitely not Mom.
 
“Aigo,” you clucked. “Who is this monkey yelling out my name so loudly?” Though you knew who it was: Yoseob.
 
There were incoherent noises and voices in the background.
 
“Guess who!!” sang a deep voice.
 
You laughed. “BEAST oppas?” You slowly got up now trying to focus on the other line. 
 
You heard someone yell out YEAH! And then all of a sudden, you heard a bunch of voices singing happy birthday. It was hard to distinguish the voices since all blended so well together. Despite that, however, you found yourself grinning broadly. 
 
There was a sad groan. “Tsk! I wanted to be first to say happy birthday!!” Yoseob cried.
 
“No me!!” Protested Dongwoon.
 
Before you could thank them for the wishes, there was a loud SLAP! On the other line.  
 
“OWWW,” the boys yelped. 
 
“Chill out guys, you do realize she’s probably sleeping right?” Questioned Doojoon.
 
You muffled your giggle in the phone.
 
“Aigo, you guys are so inconsiderate,” complained Hyunseung. 
 
There were murmurings on the other line now, and your eyebrows furrowed together. What were they saying?
 
Yoseob said your name and you instinctively looked up in your dark room. “Yes?” You replied.
 
“Look outside your window~~~~” sang Gikwang
 
Your face fell in shock. *No way…* But you did anyways. You pulled your curtains to the side and unlatched your window. You peered outside and your jaw dropped. There were 6 figures standing in front of your lawn. You gasped and cupped your mouth in shock. Even Junhyung was there! He looked awkward, with his hands in his pockets, he was kicking dirt at the bottom of his feet.
 
Yoseob had the phone next to his ear. He was looking at your window when you opened it. He beamed widely and waved his arm profusely towards you. 
 
“No… way,” you said out loud, as you hung up. Suddenly, you felt more elated than ever. 
 
You smiled and waved back at the boys. Yoseob and Gikwang were jumping up and down like little boys who just entered into Lotte World for the first time. They were so happy, and so cute, and you wanted to dash out your room and run down the stairs and hug them both. However, something caught your eye preventing you from doing that. They both were clutching something in their hands. Grocery bags? Did they just come from the market?
 
Your eyes swept over to Doojoon and Hyunseung was who eyeing you with a soft look on their faces, while Dongwoon was holding up balloons with a huge beam on his face. Wait a minute. Balloons?!?! 
 
Dongwoon began to nod his head up and down to affirm your thought, the goofy grin on his face was growing wider and wider. You slapped your forehead and sighed.
 
Your eyes flickered over towards Junhyung, who, for once, had some sort of emotion on his face. Sorta. He was smirking at you, but not in the way that made you uncomfortable.
 
A cold shiver went down your spine anyway.
 
“Well?!” Yoseob cupped his mouth as he yelled. “Aren’t you going to let us in?!”
 
Your eyes widened, you never had any boys at your house except for L. 
 
“We came all the way here for you!” Gikwang made a heart with his hands.
 
Yoseob clasped his hands together. “PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE! IT’S COLD!” 
 
You bit your lip in contemplation. He was so cute, how could you say no? Plus they came all the way here and Dongwoon was holding onto balloons for a reason… *There can’t be any harm in letting them in….* You dashed down the stairs and opened the door for them. 
 
The boys came in and rubbed their shoulders to warm up their shivering bodies. 
 
“Finally,” Hyunseung said. 
 
Doojoon rolled his eyes. “I told you guys to wear your jackets!” 
 
Yoseob disregarded the elder and ran to you with open arms. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEST FRIEND~!” He gave you a big wet kiss on the cheek. 
 
You were laughing when you felt an intent glare being sent your way. You turned your head to see Junhyung seething at you both.
 
“Um, thank you, Seobie,” you said to Yoseob. *What the heck is Junhyung’s problem?* 
 
“Where’s your dining room table?” asked Gikwang. His question reeled you back into reality. 
 
“Oh right!” You pointed your finger to the right. The boys quickly darted away. 
 
Your eyebrows rose up in question. Clumsily as you turned, you tripped on someone’s shoes. Instantaneously, just like in the movies, that person caught you quickly by your waist. His arms enveloped around you and held you upwards safely.
 
You looked up at your saviour and you gulped. His eyes stared right back into yours. A strange uneven beating began to fill your chest. “Erm… thanks, Junhyung.” Your voice came out almost inaudibly. 
 
Junhyung flashed you a smirk, and set you up straight. Without replying, he trailed after the boys. What a mystery this guy was! 
 
You didn’t understand why Junhyung even bothered to come. With a small sigh, you followed right after him.
 
The moment you stepped into the dining room, there was a heavenly aroma of food that surrounded you. Your eyes almost bugged out of their sockets when you noticed what was there. On the table there were all these delicious meals! Bulgogi, sweet and sour pork and even ddukbokki! And right in the center was a birthday cake, written in red frosting was words that said happy birthday from your loving beast oppas. 
 
“Well?” Yoseob said with his hands on his hips. A proud smile on his cheeky face.
 
Gikwang beamed at you sweetly and winked. “You like it? We stayed up all night and made all this ourselves.”
 
You let out the loudest gasp of life. “No way!!!!” The things these boys did for you. You had no idea how to thank them. Something warm filled your chest and your eyes grew teary.
 
Doojoon nodded in confirmation. “We sure did. Come over here.” He waved you over. You stood next to him and Dongwoon, your hands over your mouth. You didn’t know what to say. You were so touched with the food, the cake and the balloons. All these emotions began to overwhelm your heart.
 
“We made this just for you. And I’ll be honest, we never do this for anyone. Not even for each other!” Dongwoon stated. His arms slid across your shoulder and pulled you close.  
 
Hyunseung smiled and pointed at Junhyung. “Even this guy helped and he never ever EVER helps!”
 
Junhyung blinked in surprise for being called out like that. He made a face and sighed. His eyes were downcasted. His cheeks look unusually red and you found yourself smiling broadly. 
 
You looked at each of them with an affectionate smile. “Thank you, thank you so much. No one has ever done this for me before and I’m not sure how to react…” You chuckled, and wiped a speck of tear that was coming out of your eye.
 
“Don’t cry, you baby,” Doojoon teased, making you slap his arm in embarrassment. “I’m not crying, there’s something in my eye!”
 
Everyone laughed. Doojoon shook his head with a tender smile, and wiped the other corner of your eye with his thumb. You sniffled, but wrapped an arm around his. *I’m so thankful to have my beast oppas.*
 
“Okay, okay! COME HERE GIRL, COME TO SEOBIE!” Yoseob whined as he spread his hands out to you like a baby. Doojoon and Dongwoon let you go and you skipped over to the cutest boy you know. “Time to blow out the candles!” Yoseob clapped in excitement.
 
“Wait!” Hyunseung held out his hands. “Should I place one candle? Or should I do two… or all of it?” 
 
“Two!” Dongwoon said with two fingers up. “YAH!” Yoseob yelled. “It’s our lovely dongsaengs birthday, not yours!”
 
You laughed and held out two fingers. Dongwoon brightened up and then stuck his tongue at Yoseob, who in return, did the same thing. They were such little brats. 
 
Hyunseung stuck two candles onto the cake. Gikwang lit the candles up carefully and backed away so that you were in the center. Your face radiated with the fiery glow in the dark room. Everyone started to sing you happy birthday. Even Junhyung who was leaning against the wall behind everyone else was singing happy birthday to you silently.
 
“Time to make a wish best friend,” Yoseob urged you. 
 
A wide smile spread across your face. “Let’s all make a wish together, okay?” You looked around until you met eyes with Junhyung. “You too, okay Junhyung?”
 
There was a certain twinkle in your eye. Junhyung didn’t even bother to look away this time.
 
“1…2…3….” Gikwang counted down. You closed your eyes and clasped your hands together. The corner of your lips hitching up higher and higher. Junhyung’s lips curved into an automatic smile as well. He closed his eyes now, too.
 
And when Gikwang reached 10, everyone blew on the candles. Even Junhyung leaned in a bit too.
 
When the fire was blown out, everyone cheered. You were extremely happy, even though it was late; the BEAST oppas did all this for you. You were deeply grateful. You ate so much that your tummy felt like it was going to burst that night. Your house was full of love and laughter for once and you didn’t quite feel so lonely on your birthday anymore.
 
This the first night you realized that BEAST weren’t just your friends, but they were your new family. They were your brothers who cared about you and treated you like their own sister. 
 
Even Junhyung who had always given you the cold shoulder, he too, became part of your family that night.