Brother

It (does)n’t happen - intermediate -

 

 

Untitledghjhgj6555.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minho sat on Minseok’s bed, big pillow under his chin while he watched his brother get ready for a date. Minho smiled, happy for his brother. It had been so long it seemed since his brother dated, or at least like he used to – steady relationship. Minho still suspected that was because of him.
 
Minho teased, “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do~.”
 
Minseok pulled the rest of his casual date outfit on, looking to Minho with raised brows. “And what wouldn’t you do exactly?”
 
Minho tensed, smile faltering because he was guilty of things he knows he shouldn’t be doing on the few horrible dates he’s had in the past year, though he figures the confusing boy stuff – frazzled uality would be the worst of it. “Never kiss and tell.” Minho wrinkled his nose, thoughts drawn to the new girl he was seeing, fairly steadily. It’s not like they had done anything real relationship worthy yet, but Minho found her attractive and still wanted to try. And funny enough, she wasn’t running away from him. Not yet. That surely meant something, right?
 
Minseok rolled his eyes but still laughed as he turned back to his wardrobe, “Dork.”
 
Minho smiled wider again, eyes falling away from his brother. Minseok soon stepped beside Minho near the bed, not so gently ruffling his long hair to a stringy, frizzled mess. Minho slapped at Minseok’s arm, laughing into his pillow. “Jerk..”
 
Minseok moved his hand between Minho’s, lightly shoving at the younger’s head enough to throw Minho off balance slightly. “Minho-yah~,” Minseok teased in nearly a cooing voice.
 
Minho swiftly swatted the pillow at Minseok hard enough to get a yelp from him and quick retreat. 
 
“Whoa.. I got a date, remember?” Minseok ran fingers over his clothes, fixing any damage Minho may have caused. Once he finished, Minseok grabbed his things up and headed for the door, turning back to grin at Minho. “Wish me luck, huh?”
 
Minho snuggled his face down into the pillow again, smiling, “Good luck, hyung.” Why his brother wasn’t bringing up the fact that Minho was dating kinda-sorta and using it as teasing leverage, Minho wasn’t sure. He used to tease about such things mercilessly. Sure he hadn’t announced it to family yet, but his older brother seemed to know. It wouldn’t be hard to figure out if one glanced through his left-alone phone though. Minho cringed in annoyance at the thought, as if he’d never done it to his brother’s cellphone before. He was just as guilty. Though once Minho had sent a sappy text as his brother to a girl he was sure Minseok liked, the older was much better about not leaving his phone out while shouting death threats at Minho. And Minho certainly didn’t find the two dating after that little ‘joke’ either. 
 
Minseok smiled a little wider, nodding towards Minho. He left his room, getting the last teasing word in. “Thanks, Big-eyes.”
 
Minho forced an over-dramatic pout at the nickname he hadn’t heard in a long time, watching his brother leaving. Once Minho heard the front door click shut down the hall, he fell over on Minseok’s bed, arms still wrapped around the pillow in a tight hug. He really did wish his brother the best and hoped to stop being the burden dragging his life down. At least that’s how it felt to Minho.
 
He gazed around his brother’s room, eyes pausing on pictures he had out – pictures with family or friends. Pictures of trips, outings Minseok used to go on frequently, mostly with friends or soccer teams. Minseok didn’t go out much anymore. Minho never went out like that anymore, not if he could help it. Any team trips Minho would find a way out off – call in sick or needed for personal family business. 
 
And yet he was selfish, wasn’t he? Still keeping his brother home with him. 
 
Minho fell asleep like that, staring at pictures or trophies with little memories of his own from each of them, like one sports trophy in particular he had nearly broke while inspecting it with pride for his brother’s achievement. Minho could laugh at the memory now, if not feel a little embarrassed for nearly crying at the look from his father and horrified fumble for the trophy by his brother. Minho was sure his own trophy wall would never amount to his brother’s, but as he’s grown older it mattered less to him. 
 
Minho woke later to Minseok shoving him over in bed. Minho whined half-awake and rolled over, allowing room but refusing to get up and sleep in his own bed. Lights flicked off and Minho was sure he heard his brother tell him the girl wanted to see him again. Either way, Minho snuggled back against Minseok once an arm fell over him loosely, getting cozy under blankets. 
 
Minho had dreams that night of his big brother with a bright future. For some reason, hands covered in red not of his own, Minho wasn’t part of that future.