Spring

It (does)n’t happen - intermediate -

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It was late spring, weather warm - hot even on this day, as Minho finally sat beside Jinki in a tired huff, done with soccer practice now. Jinki smiled, watching the younger breathing heavily and wiping his arm over his forehead then run his hands over his t-shirt and shorts like he was wiping them clean of dirt. 
 
Jinki turned back to the flowers he had absentmindedly gathered around his feet while he watched and waited. He poked at them and when he saw the perfect flower, his smile grew while his mind raced with thoughts – silly ideas.
 
“Minho-yah~.” Jinki picked the flower up, twisting it by the stem in his fingers. The flower was a vibrant blue. It had a few worn, dark spots on the petals, but overall it was perfect – flawless. Jinki turned and without hesitation tucked it behind Minho’s ear and lengthy hair.
 
Minho froze, blinking at Jinki. He looked confused and his hand slowly reached for the flower. Jinki gently stopped it and fluffed Minho’s soft hair with a small laugh. He pulled back, eyes twinkling at his friend in a squinted smile.
 
Big eyes still watched him in confusion, and long dark hair fell fluffy over Minho’s face and the bright flower resting the side of his head. 
 
His friend really was gorgeous in a way Jinki still couldn’t explain. Maybe he never could. 
 
Jinki touched Minho’s cheek, and it seemed to flush under his touch – or maybe that was just Jinki’s imagination.
 
Jinki glanced around, making sure no one was looking before he pressed his lips to Minho’s cheek in a quick, friendly kiss. 
 
Minho slowly smiled when Jinki pulled back, and Jinki wished he had a picture of this perfect moment, as dumb as that was. Soon, Jinki was shoved and he played along, dramatically falling to the grass and rolling around. Minho laughed loud – it was happy and lively.
 
Jinki wasn’t sure if Minho forgot or he left the flower in his hair for hours just to please Jinki.
 
Jinki knew one thing though, he had an itch to tell Minho he loved him again, but he stopped himself. Playfully holding his friend’s hand tightly was enough. 
 
Jinki chewed his lip while he was reprimanded by Minho later – letting it be known he didn’t approve of the public display. Minho couldn’t stay mad though, relieving Jinki.
 
Sometimes, his emotions became so overwhelming they would spill out, like that day.
 
He had to learn how to keep them in check.