Birthdays (memories)

It (does)n’t happen - intermediate -

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The younger jumped his last step off the public bus, quickly catching up with the older as he fixed his backpack straps and weaved through small crowds on the streets.
 
Jinki hummed a little tune, taking in the fresh air through chilly fall weather. It was nice to be outside after hours of class and a tiring bus ride, even if a little cold.
 
Minho, only eleven-years-old and still becoming quite the little 'friend' of Jinki's, bounced on his feet closer to the older, huffing out a clouded breath in the cold air as they walked the rest of the way home from school. Jinki had waited for Minho outside the younger boy's school since it was a Friday so they could hang out with few other kids for outdoor games before dinner and studies. 
 
Jinki still didn’t like to admit a ‘little kid’ was becoming more a friend to him than anyone else. Even at his age he knew without really understanding that he was a lonely child, left to himself often. He had no malice about it, not at this age. It was just a fact of his life with busy parents and being an only child. Why Minho was filling this void, Jinki couldn’t even comprehend at this point in his life.
 
He didn’t need to.
 
“When's your birthday again? Did I ever ask?” Minho glanced curiously at the older boy as they walked much emptier streets now.
 
Jinki wasn't sure if they ever discussed it - was there ever time when with the younger boy anyway? Either way, it would seem they forgot so Jinki answered, “December 14th.” He nodded, giving a small giggle and big smile. His birthday was coming up after all, and he was excited in becoming an older, more experienced teenager – that lonely thing wouldn’t be so bad, now would it?
 
Jinki’s smile quickly fell though as Minho's huge eyes grew almost scarily larger, younger quickly closing any distance between them until he was up in Jinki's face with a serious expression. 
 
“Mine is December 9th..” Minho puffed out in a breath. His face soon turned into a big smile, voice falling out in a loud laugh. “They're so close!”
 
Yeah, Jinki tried to smile because someone else was too close too, and now more than ever he understood why some called the kid ‘big eyes’. He gently pushed on Minho to at least get the younger out of his personal space and continue walking again. “That's neat...” Jinki reached out to fix Minho's heavy jacket while he was still close enough, not wanting the younger to get cold on their walk.
 
Minho hopped around, seeming a little over-gleeful by this birthday fact. “That's so cool~.”
 
Jinki relaxed and smiled, fixing his warm scarf over his school uniform and coat. The weather was only getting colder this time of year, but if there was snow that would be fun. Maybe he could play with Minho in fresh fallen snow. He vaguely wondered what Minho's favorite thing to do in the snow was, then quickly settled with snowball fight, most probably.
 
Minho turned back to Jinki, smile falling slightly. “What are you getting me for my birthday then?”
 
Jinki dropped his face into his hands and laughed. He hoped he wouldn't crash into something, knowing full well of his clumsy tendencies. He kept laughing, still not understanding this blossoming friendship at all.
 
“What..? What?” Minho pouted, slowly following the older home.
 
When Minho asked about Jinki eating supper at his home with his family again, Jinki nearly jumped at the offer. He was left embarrassed by himself, but more than that glad he wasn’t going home to an empty house and lonely dinner.