Part-time

It (does)n’t happen - intermediate -

 

 

Untitledhhy423.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jinki was returning back from a drop-off when he noticed Minho sitting on the stone steps outside his place off work (another summer job started a little earlier than usual, really in need of the money for his savings). It was a surprise finding Minho there, school uniform on and backpack sitting in his lap. Jinki bit his lips, annoyed he couldn't pick up Minho from school like he used to – he was tied down more now with classes, a part-time job, and keeping a steady enough relationship with a girlfriend. His friend, Jinki didn't see as often as he used to. Maybe the reasons were intentional, on both sides. There was a subconscious avoidance of each other off and on ever since their big fight a while back and Jinki began trying to sort out his life and started seeing people again, even if not for the best reasons.
 
For Jinki, walking Minho home and hanging out just wasn't as optional like before. Why he's at Jinki's work now though, he wasn't sure. It was a rare sight.
 
Jinki wheeled his scooter in closer to the building away from narrow alley streets, head nodding at Minho with a smile. His loosened helmet fell forward, covering most of his vision. The sudden laughter from Minho was enough to make Jinki smile wider and keep walking, though slowly, hoping to be some sort of entertainment to the younger. Minho's laugh only made Jinki's heart skip a beat these days. His mind rushed back to his girlfriend's laughter quickly, stopping the overwhelming rush in its place – like it should be. This was definitely no time for such ugly emotions resurfacing.
 
Jinki was soon stopped, helmet being lifted by another to find Minho right in front of him with a curious grin.
 
“Don't hurt yourself,” Minho laughed shortly, head shaking slightly as his eyes fell away from the older.
 
Jinki parked his work's scooter and pulled the helmet off, setting it on the seat as he combed through his messy hair. “I would never, you know.” Jinki mocked himself for another laugh. It would be a lie to say he'd never tripped over his own two feet once or twice. Coordination wasn't always his greatest friend and Minho growing up had been anything but a friend about it – or that's how an embarrassed teenage Jinki had felt back then. Looking back, he could laugh now though.
 
Minho laughed louder at the older, hand reached up to hide behind. Jinki tilted his head, smile still in place while watching his friend in some sort of admiration.
 
It was silly.
 
“I don't mean to keep you from work,” Minho gestured toward the scooter and building, “I just stopped by, cause..” He looked thoughtful before answering with another wide smile, voice an embarrassed laugh, “I don't know why, I just sorta walked here.”
 
“Don't worry about it. I have a little time,” Jinki assured, patting gently at Minho's shoulder.
 
“Hyung,” Minho looked back to Jinki, smile falling slightly, “Could you.. I don't want to be.. uh..” Whatever the younger wanted to say, it was coming out difficult for some reason. “I'll have to take some summer classes and cram school again. I need you..” Minho rubbed his neck, nerves obviously getting to him now. “I mean, I need.. concentration.” He looked up to meet Jinki's eyes again, “I just need you there, if that's okay, for while I study. It's getting hard..” Minho absently began picking at his fingers, “Again... I don't want to bother anyone, but I thought I could ask-” 
 
Jinki didn't mean to cut Minho off, but his hand resting on the younger's shoulder stopped him for some reason. He nodded, “Of course.” To break the tension, or just to get Minho smiling again, Jinki added, “I'll come for the food alone.”
 
And like that, Minho looked cheerful again. Jinki laughed with a small shrug of his shoulders. 
 
“Thanks hyung,” Minho bowed deeply, taking a step backwards.
 
Jinki was only embarrassed by it. He shoved at Minho, getting his friend back up, standing tall in front of him again. “Minho-yah.” Jinki pulled his friend into a quick hug, keeping it strictly short and loose. Once he let go, Jinki was backing up with a giggle of a smile, taking in Minho's confused expression. He hopped up the few stairs to his work, ready to pick up more to deliver. With a playful salute, and serious expression broken with the smile that just didn't want to leave, he waved Minho off. “Tonight!”
 
“Tonight,” Minho nodded, grinning now at Jinki's actions. He saluted back, before fixing his backpack over his shoulders and taking off down the empty streets for home. 
 
When Jinki's new girlfriend called later asking if he wanted to do something together in the evening, he told her that he had plans. The study session only ended up with the two goofing off mostly - Jinki obviously tired from a long day, week even. 
 
Minho told a joke that wasn't all that great, but Jinki fell over in painful laughter anyway. Minho smiled proudly and shuffled through his homework papers, appearing relaxed, at least to Jinki.
 
Time given to Minho was worth the costs later.
 
The thought was there though the whole time in the back of his mind, how when they were alone together like this in the past they had kissed – or experimented with it, Jinki even leaving an unskillful mark once or twice on the other. That didn't happen anymore on visits, Jinki knew. It still seemed like it wasn't that long ago though. 
 
It really wasn’t, was it?
 
 
 
--
 
 
 
It was a surprise when Minho's mouth suddenly touched Jinki's several weeks later at another tired study session, this time at Jinki’s often empty house. Minho quickly played it off with nerves visible suddenly. Jinki smiled, mimicking Minho's own wide one and he nodded, pretending with his friend it never happened. They scooted further apart over the floor, keeping a distance. Jinki chewed his puffy lips subconsciously the rest of their time together and sneaked glances at Minho’s chapped lips while the younger worked silently.
 
Minho left early that evening and the two avoided each other for a week. It hadn’t meant anything, so what was there to be said, right? 
 
Jinki later wondered if that was actually just a strange dream again from his subconscious. If it were a dream then he had no guilt when he kissed his girlfriend. It was easier that way.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

------

Anthro, are you still around and reading this? I miss you. If not, sorry I couldn't get this story done quick enough before you disappeared.