You

It (does)n’t happen - intermediate -

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“It’s stupid.”
 
“It’s not stupid.. It’s-”
 
“Dumb.”
 
“..I was going to say thoughtful.” Minho looked back to his brother. He mumbled, “It was probably for a girlfriend and didn’t work out, right?”
 
“You..” Minseok shoved Minho’s shoulder, looking hurt. “I swear it wasn’t.” He murmured thoughtfully, “It’s not pretty enough for most girls.”
 
Minho snorted and held up the necklace again. It wasn’t very fancy, mostly chain with a small engraved metal on it. But it really was thoughtful. “Is it my birthday?” Minho teased. He noticed small initials on it. It could be his as well as his brother’s. Minho vaguely wondered if that was on purposed. 
 
“Hey, if you don’t want it.” Minseok grabbed for the necklace.
 
“I didn’t say that.” Minho scowled and pulled it out of reach, suddenly possessive of it. He quickly attempted to put it on, but since he rarely wore jewelry, it was a struggled.
 
Minseok sighed with annoyance. “Let me help.” He moved behind Minho and slapped his hands away to fasten the necklace himself. Minseok moved back around while Minho fiddled with the charm.
 
“Why?” Minho finally asked, head low.
 
“Do I need a reason?” Minseok shrugged.
 
Minho looked up then, fingers still twisting the necklace. “Yes.”
 
“Minho, you don’t always need to complicate things.” Minseok sighed, tired.
 
“I didn’t..”
 
Minho’s eyes widened when he was suddenly tugged into a tight hug. He stiffened, taken aback by the sudden action. “Are you okay?” 
 
“Are you?” Minseok asked instead. 
 
Minho spoke, voice rehearsed, “I’m always okay.”
 
“Stop please.” Minseok buried his face in his brother’s shoulder. 
 
Minho relaxed into the hug. “I’m sorry.”
 
“Don’t be sorry either.”
 
“What do you want me to be then?” Minho asked with sincerity, wanting to please his brother in the moment, neck tingling from the cool chain of the unexpected gift. 
 
You,” Minseok turned his head, “I want you to be you again. I miss my little brother.”
 
Minho smiled, reaching a hand around his brother’s back. “I’m right here.”
 
“Not really,” Minseok grumbled into Minho’s clothed shoulder, voice muffled. “You know, If dad-”
 
“It’s okay, hyung.” Minho stopped Minseok, rubbing his brother’s back reassuringly. “I’m still getting better.”
 
Minseok pushed away, forcing smile now. He ruffled Minho’s hair in a teasing manner, showing the moment of openness between brothers was closed again. “Yeah.”
 
Minho fiddled with his necklace again, smiling at his brother. “I like this though, really.”
 
“Ah, you would,” Minseok teased.
 
Minho shoved his brother and they manhandled each other in playful fighting out to the living room to play video games before dinner, trying to be the first one to the room. Minho kept glancing down at his necklace while they played, smiling contently at it. 
 
Minho wore that necklace with matching initials often now, if only under clothes, hoping to gain some sort of strength by it from his big brother. 
 
But, Minho was sure to remove it when he was breaking promises. He couldn’t stand the thing hanging heavy around his neck while he did.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
-------
 
An update for my fangirl anthro~. <3