Play with you (memories)

It (does)n’t happen - intermediate -

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jinki peeked his head around the corner, finding his friend kicking a ball around the empty streets. Minho was playing again with his friends, smiling and laughing - full of energy as usual. Jinki debated joining in, but thought better off it – feeling weird being sixteen and shoving his way into the younger kids’ game. He stepped back around the corner, thinking about calling some classmates, or better yet, call his cute girlfriend to see if she wasn’t busy. They hadn’t been dating long, so maybe she would want to go out. Maybe even ki—
 
Boo!”
 
Jinki jumped, heart racing faster with guilt for his dirty thoughts. Minho laughed, hoping around the corner to stand in front of Jinki. The older frowned, still trying to calm himself, and in his irritation suddenly very unaccepting of his younger friend clearly growing taller than him. It wasn’t right. He was older, he should stay bigger. Jinki nearly crossed his arms like a child. “You look like a tree,” he grumbled instead.
 
“Huh?” Minho looked around himself, not getting the joke. “Do I have something on me?”
 
“No. Nevermind.” Jinki shook his head, running fingers through his hair to relax. 
 
“You wanna play with us?” 
 
“Nah.” Jinki smiled, beginning to step away. “I think I’ll go to the arcade or something.” He waved, “Later~.”
 
“But..” Minho frowned, waiting a moment before turning back around the corner to leave also.
 
Jinki pulled out his phone minutes later, searching for his girlfriend’s number. He turned another familiar corner, focus on his phone and if he really should call her. He didn’t want to come off annoying or something. He hoped he was a good boyfrie—
 
Boo!”
 
Jinki nearly throw his cellphone at the space-intruder, feeling some act of chivalry with his girlfriend on his mind. 
 
Minho laughed even louder this time, hand flying to his mouth to try and contain it. 
 
Minho-yah!” Jinki whined his annoyance. 
 
“You should have seen your face! I just..” Minho leaned forward, hands reaching for Jinki’s shoulders to support himself as he laughed. It appeared he was trying to mimic what he thought Jinki’s face to be, but was failing horribly with gasps for air. Jinki was not amused. 
 
“Why are you even here?” Jinki scoffed, hand tightening around his phone with the dominant urge to be with his girlfriend right now, not the younger boy. 
 
“I came to go to the arcade with you.” Minho tried to breathe, calming down. “I have a little money and all.”
 
“But your friends..” 
 
Minho lifted his head, goofy grin with a red face from laughing too hard. “I wanna play with you.” 
 
“But..” Jinki’s eyes darted to his phone. “I’m uh..”
 
“Let’s go.” Minho stepped back only to tug Jinki along with him as he walked. “Loser has to kiss miss blowup doll in front of everyone,” Minho challenged, referring to the wavy plastic promotion balloon at the arcade.
 
Jinki pocketed his phone, then jerked his arm from Minho’s hold. He grinned, taking off in a run, challenge accepted. “You’re on!”
 
“Hyung! Don’t get cocky!” Minho chased after, smile falling.
 
“Minho-yah has a big crush on miss blowup anyway~.” Jinki teased. 
 
Minho was quick to catch up then, slapping the back Jinki’s head with his hand. “I do not. She’s not even real.”
 
Jinki slowed, whining and rubbing his sore head. He glanced to see Minho pouting now, so his own lips curled, eyes sparkling with teasing on his mind. 
 
“Minho-yaaah~ wants a girlfriend.” Jinki sing-songed. 
 
Minho shoved Jinki, causing him to stumble, but his smile never left. 
 
Minho scowled, “I’ll get one, just you wait. She’ll be as pretty as yours.”
 
“What?” Jinki’s eyes widened, suddenly very curious.
 
Minho went quiet then, arms crossing as he tried to walk faster than Jinki.
 
“You like her?”
 
“Shut up.” Minho seemed to shrink with his small voice that cut off into a whine.
 
Jinki jumped forward, arm landing around his taller friend’s shoulders a bit awkwardly. Jinki really hoped Minho would stop growing taller. He leaned in, whispering, “I promise I won’t tell her.”
 
Minho shoved Jinki off, frowning still. “Stop making fun of me.”
 
“But it’s so easy.” Jinki nudged the younger.
 
Really, Minho could have left then, turned for home and his other friends, have fun with them instead. But Jinki smiled, happy to have his best friend by his side, even to just play at the arcade and loser have to humiliate himself.
 
“You’ll be sorry, hyung.” Minho threatened.
 
Jinki brushed it off, that is, until he ended up the loser and Minho stood by, grinning smugly while Jinki fumbled to kiss the stupid balloon on its fake lips. Jinki blamed Minho handing all over him, trying to cause him to lose as they played. 
 
He really did hope Minho would stop growing.