Date

It (does)n’t happen - intermediate -

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jinki called up Minho as soon as he could, very curious about the little date he set up for his friend with a classmate from college who seemed she would be interested. He had hope it went smoothly. The girl, though Jinki’s age, was cute and sweet – sure to be his friend’s type. She actually didn't mind high school boys, so Jinki, maybe moving too fast thinking they were good enough friends, tried to set up a date.
 
But if Minho was still uncomfortable around females, Jinki wasn’t sure. He never told Jinki to his face, but he could read the younger well enough to understand he was no longer the same around them. He was nervous, on edge. Jinki couldn’t really understand it, to be quite honest. But he hoped a date would help. Jinki figured after acknowledging his own feelings for his friend, he should be jealous at such an idea, like if some guy had tried to hook up with his girlfriend or even just a cute crush while growing up. It didn’t really bother him though, at least if he didn’t dwell on things. 
 
Still, Jinki hoped for the best to come out of all this. He smiled, waiting for an answer over the phone.
 
 
Hello?
 
Jinki’s smile fell, Minho’s quiet voice already evident it didn’t go so well. “You okay?”
 
Minho tried to sound better than he obviously felt, low voice breaking, “Yeah, I just got home a little bit ago. Everything is fine.
 
“How.. did it go?” Jinki cringed, sitting back on his bed and curling up slightly.
 
It was… Uh..
 
“Minho-”
 
I pushed her and she fell to the ground,” Minho blurted out.
 
Jinki sat up straight, eyes widening. “What?”
 
Minho spoke a little louder now, sounding frantic. “I didn’t mean to. She got too close. I.. I just wanted her to step back. I didn’t want to ki--”
 
“She tried to kiss you?” 
 
I walked her home and..
 
Jinki cursed, fingers clutching his sheets and voice speaking without thought, “I told her not get pushy.”
 
You.. what?” Minho sounded angrier as he spoke, “What did you tell her exactly. Hyung, you can’t-”
 
“I didn’t tell her anything,” Jinki tried to defend himself, tone still annoyed, though not because of Minho. “Just.. not to get pushy with you. I just said you’re shy-”
 
“Thanks for the date.” Minho cut in bitterly, “I had a great time humiliating myself.” 
 
Minho hung up before Jinki could say anything more. Jinki tossed his phone to the floor, fist slamming into his mattress angrily.
 
This plan was supposed to work.
 
 
Later in the week, Jinki cornered his female friend at school between classes. “What did you do to him?” Jinki asked, voice failing to keep out his annoyance.
 
“Huh?” She looked confused, flicking her long hair over her shoulder while stopping in the campus halls. “Oh, the Choi Minho guy? Nothing. If anything, it was him.” She held up her arm to show a bruised elbow, brushing Jinki’s slight attitude off. “I thought he wanted a kiss, he shoved me away looking all angry. It was weird.” She hissed, pressing gentle fingers to the discolored spot.
 
Jinki crossed his arms, still frowning.
 
“He seemed all surprised that he did it and helped me up right after, though, apologizing. If he weren’t so tall, I would have expect his head to hit the ground with how much he kept bowing.” She sighed, “I don’t know. It was a pretty bad date. He’s too quiet.” She scoffed, gripping her schoolbooks tighter.
 
Jinki twitched, mind shouting ‘he’s perfect’, but he bit his tongue. 
 
“Sorry it didn’t work out,” she patted Jinki’s arm, “He really was cute.” She leaned away to mumble, “He needs a haircut though.”
 
Jinki cringed at the comment. He picked mindlessly at his bag, anger gone from his voice, “Thanks for trying at least.”
 
“Of course.” Her pretty smiled quickly fell, “Just don’t ever set me up on a date again.”
 
Jinki cracked a smile then, “I won’t. I swear.”
 
And so Jinki didn’t.
 
 
Several days passed before Minho spoke with Jinki again. But that’s how their fights always ended – with them not being able to stay mad at the other for long.
 
Minho didn’t appear too keen on dating help from Jinki anymore after that blind date incident. Whatever dating life he had, Jinki was mostly excluded from.
 
Jinki carried on dating his current girlfriend that looked suspiciously like someone he met in his dreams before. He was embarrassed to acknowledge that part, so he didn’t.