Part-time Job

Protect Us

So apparently, the aliens hadn't really contacted Doctor about the Mem-O spray. They lied saying they did and decided to search for another protector. When they told me though the only emotion I had was fear. Do you know how many times I yelled at them and pointed at Yongguk straight in the face? I was so afraid they were going to cut my head off with their laser but after I thought about it, they weren't really threatening!

In fact, they needed me. I was their protector and unless they found someone else, I didn't have the reason to be afraid. They should be afraid of me! So once I brushed off the fact that I could possibly die in their hands, the week went by fast. Jiho was always with me wherever I went, while his friends glared daggers through the back of my head. Should I mention that it was most the female friends that glared at me? I always told him to go back to his friends, but he kept refusing so I didn't bother persuading him anymore.

And throughout the week, I got to know the aliens a bit more, even though I personalized them myself. Yongguk was actually personalized to be a great, caring, organized, and controlling leader. Well, at least that was what he told me. I knew he was fibbing when he called himself great and caring. What he meant to say was, self centered. He had a lot of sarcasm and no sense of humour at all. He had no talent, unlike the other aliens who had specific talents. I also learned out that they don't eat, drink, or go to the washroom even though they had every single detail of a human, but they do need to take a shower every once in a while.

Finally, it was a Saturday, the day I finally get the chance to find a job. I needed to find a job to fix that door Daehyun broke. 

There was a knock at the door and I told him to come in. The door opened, revealing a smiling Jongup. He asked me what I was doing and I told him I was making my résumé so I could go job hunting. He suddenly frowned and I asked him what was wrong. He shook his head, saying it was nothing and told me to write nice things about myself before leaving the room. That alien is weird.

In less than an hour, I perfected my resume and printed several copies. I grabbed the papers and walked down the stairs. "I'm going to find a job," I announced to the aliens, who were in the living room watching TV.

"Don't," Daehyun ordered. "We'll find a way to fix door."

"But you broke the lock. How can you find a way to fix that?" I asked. "I need money to buy a new one. The money my parents sent me isn't enough for food and the lock altogether. They only send me money monthly and this is only my first week here."

"How long are you going to work for?" Yongguk asked.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Until I get enough money for the doorknob and the lock. I'll need some extra money for you guys, too. See ya!" I ran to the front door, put on my shoes and headed out before they could say any more.


The stores around my neighborhood weren't a suitable place for me to work. I didn't want to find work too far away from home because then transportation money would be included, taking it out of my pocket. Also, I didn't feel comfortable leaving the boys at home by themselves. Most of the stores l visited didn't need part timers but full time workers. I couldn't do full time since I had school work to do.

Exhausted after a long day of job hunting, I walked home but then I saw a "Hiring" sign at a convenience store, I ran into the store and walked up to the cashier. "Excuse me, I saw your hiring sign in the front."

She nodded, "Okay, you got the job. We're in desperate need of a part timer so there's no need to go through any steps. Come over here and I'll show you what to do for tomorrow." She showed me how to use the cash register and how to scan items. It was pretty easy. "You start tomorrow from 5 to11," she reminded me. I thanked her and headed home.

“How was it?” Youngjae asked when I opened the door. “You look really tired.”

“Yeah, I’m exhausted. My legs feel like they’re going to fall off from all the walking.” I sat down on the couch and massaged my legs.

“YOU’RE LEGS ARE GOING TO FALL OFF?!” Zelo screamed. “Oh no, we have to call Doctor! He has the best screws and glue in the universe.”

“Zelo.”

“Now, all we have to do is contact him.”

“Zelo!”

“Hyung! Do you have Doctor’s number? Hurry up and call him so-SHUTDOWN SORRY!” he shut his eyes and his head went limp.

“Zelo?” I poked him. “Hey, it’s not funny. Wake up, I didn’t recharge you yet!” He didn’t even move a wire. I looked at the smart one for help. “Youngjae-”

“Don’t worry Hye Mi, he’s usually like this. Whenever he gets stressed, he shuts down for some reason but he’s perfectly fine. He’s just automatically recharging. He has a little glitch, but don’t worry. He’s not shut down forever.”

I sighed in relief. I thought there was something wrong with him and that it was my fault for not recharging him properly. I told the aliens to head to their rooms so I could recharge them after a tiring day. After they were all recharged, I headed to bed and knocked right out.

 

The next day, the aliens and I went shopping for clothes since they needed more than one outfit. The aliens were excited since they haven't really been shopping before. Especially the maknae. "Noona, look at that!" he pointed to everything interesting he saw. I shook my head at his silliness.

While the aliens were looking for clothes, I stood at the side, and watched in amusement. They were going all out in choosing their clothes, even Yongguk. It seemed like he really cared what he looked like, since he took the longest.

"Noona! Can I buy these?" Zelo came running to me.

I looked over his way. "What do you want to bu-" He came over with 10 outfits in his hands. "Zelo!" I shouted, gaining looks from people in the store. I bowed in apology and looked back at him. "I said ONE outfit!" I whispered loudly.

He pouted. "But I like these ones..."

I was affected by his cute pout right away. "Zelo...it's not that I don't want to buy it for you. It's ‘cause I don't have the money."

"Zelo." Daehyun popped out of nowhere. "Stop being so whiny. She let you choose one outfit, so don't take advantage of her. She doesn't have enough money."

Zelo sighed but then smiled. "Sorry Noona, I'll just choose one." He skipped back to the racks to put everything back.

"He really is a positive one." I told Daehyun while we watched him place the clothes back on the racks. "Either that or he’s really scared of you."

He scoffed, “I think it’s both.”

“Are you done?" I asked.

He showed me his outfit. He had a simple white t-shirt with a light sweater, a pair of dark jeans and a pair of Converse.

"You're fast," I commented. He shrugged and asked, "Aren't you going to buy something?"

I shook my head. "Buying clothes for you guys will already out my wallet clean."

"You shouldn't have bought us anything then. We could've just worn these." He looked down at the clothes he was wearing.

"Like every human, you need a change of clothes to be sanitary. Once I earn money from my part time job, I'll be able to get you guys more clothes. As your protector, I have to take care of you guys." I gave him a thumb up.

His expression softened and he smiled softly. He said something quietly but I couldn’t hear him so I asked him to repeat it. He coughed, "Nothing.” I shrugged it off. I swore I heard him say, "You're the best" but I didn't hear right. Maybe that was what I wished he would say. He could've said something else.

"Hye Mi, we're done!" Yongguk called.

"Coming!" I called back. I turned to Daehyun completely forgetting what he tried to tell me, "Let's go."

After I payed for the clothes, he headed out the shop. I asked the aliens to go back by themselves. "Why?" Yongguk asked. "I need to go on an errand. Youngjae can come with me." The aliens shrugged and headed back leaving Youngjae and I alone.

"What do you need to do?" he asked, walking alongside me. "What I need you to do is get a haircut." Seriously, that Super Saiyan hair was driving me up the wall. I couldn't speak to him properly without making a joke about his hair to myself. People were already giving him weird looks on his weird hair anyway so I brought him to a barber so he could even the other side of his hair.

After that simple cut, the aliens vacuumed my wallet until it was completely invisible. Good thing I already went grocery shopping or I would've starved.

When we arrived home, I took a shower and changed into my working clothes. Mind you, not all my clothes are baggy and ugly. I have a couple of outfits that make me look presentable. It was almost time for my shift. After I changed, I walked down the stairs and found the aliens in the living room.

"Where are you going?" Youngjae asked.

"Oh right, I haven't told you guys yet." I showed them the name of the convenience store stitched onto the uniform. "Say, hello to the cashier of the local convenience store!"

Everybody's expression became rigid. I frowned. "What's wrong guys? You're supposed to be happy for me but what's wrong with your expression?" Did they not like the fact that I'm working at a convenience store?

Himchan spoke up, "We are happy for you Mimi. It's just that we are all surprised."

"Ahh, I get it. You all thought I couldn't find a job right? Well, I proved you all wrong." I stuck my tongue out at them.

"When are you coming home?" Jongup asked.

"I work from 5 to 11. It's not bad at all. I'll just have to do my homework right away when I get home so I can sleep early." I looked at the time. "Gosh! I'm late for my first day!" I quickly slipped on my shoes. "Don't break anything!" I warned and ran out the door.

 

There wasn't much to do at work actually. After 9, there were barely any customers so I thought it would be a perfect time to finish my homework when I come back for another shift. The night ended and I trudged back home. I opened the door and the aliens attacked me with questions.

"How was it?" "Was it hard?" "Are you hurt anywhere?" "Tell us what happened!"

I answered them one by one. "It was okay. No it wasn't. My feet hurt from standing. Nothing really happened. Now let's get you guys recharged. I'm pooped.” I headed up the stairs.

From downstairs, I heard Youngjae say, "Can we really do this?"

"If she’s okay, then we'll be okay too," a voice that belonged to Jongup spoke.

"But it's not the same," Zelo said.

"Pretend it's the same. It's my fault anyways," Daehyun said.

"Hey, don't blame yourself. You were just trying to help her," Yongguk said.

"GUYS!" I yelled. "Coming!" they chorused. I didn't ask them about what they spoke about downstairs. I was too pooped out to ask any questions. My eyes were going to close at any moment. I told myself that I would ask them about it later.

---