I Found You

Protect Us

For the next couple months or so, Jiho had been helping me get back on my feet. He helped me eat properly and helped me with the lessons I missed. We were pretty much together every minute.

Jiho would always come home with me after school and sometimes spend the night with me, like a sleep over.

I would also sometimes go to photoshoots with him. More and more people thought we were an official couple, but we were no more than that.

Of course, the media had to cover the relationship between us, including those pictures from Christmas Eve. Lots of reporters and writers kept coming to our houses, trying to get something interesting. They thought we were one of those people who hid our relationship for years. I don't understand why Jiho was getting all the attention from the media, considering he's only a part time model. Well, he told me how his manager offered him a full time job, but he refused the offer and wanted to keep learning about art.

The rumors and media didn't pull us down though. It didn't even bother me since I have been in tougher situations than this. As Jiho said before, him and Zico don't take their job too seriously, so he wasn't affected by the rumors either. He told he dating rumors wouldn't affect his work, so he didn't care. He also had his fans to back him up whether or not the rumours were true.

Jiho and I have been through many things together and already a year passed since the aliens left. Along the way, Jiho helped me create my brand new self. I was more confident, and more fashionable. He also helped me get to read new book genres since I've always read alien novels. The novels usually reminded me about the aliens so I wanted to stay away from them.

One afternoon, I was planning to go eat with Jiho at our favourite ddukbokki store. I was wearing a simple t-shirt and shorts. Even though Jiho got me wearing different kinds of clothes comfortably, it doesn’t mean I like skirts or dresses all that much.

It was a nice summer day. It wasn’t too hot or too sunny. The sky was clear with some clouds and there was a nice breeze blowing through the city. I was patiently waiting for the bus when I suddenly heard someone scream, “Watch out!”

I turned my around to where the voice was but I suddenly saw something rush towards me. I didn’t even know what it was. I was too stunned at the object coming towards me that I couldn’t comprehend anything.

In a split second, I was pushed to the ground. All the noises around me were blocked. I thought I died but I felt a familiar presence. That was when my senses came back to me. Everyone was screaming, “Are you okay?” “Watch were you’re going!” “You almost killed someone!”

“Hey, are you alright?" That voice…it sounds so familiar. I opened my eyes, now noticing that my eyes were closed the whole time. I blinked a couple times and even rubbed them. I thought I was hallucinating. “Miss, are you okay? Can you hear me?”

He helped me sit up. It got to me that he was holding me the whole time. My heart accelerated and butterflies formed in my stomach when I got a clearer look at his face. "Hey can you hear me?" he asked again.

“Y-yeah,” I managed to say. He helped me stand up. I brushed the dirt of my clothes. I looked at him. I saw him looking at my arms and legs.“W-what are you doing?” I asked him.

He shook his head and looked at me, “There’s no serious injuries, just a couple scratches. Be attentive of your surroundings next time.” He turned around and started to walk away.

*No…no…don’t leave me. Don’t leave me!* “Daehyun!” I called. “Daehyun!”

He stopped in his tracks and turned around. Tears fell down my face but a smile was lit. I finally found him. I walked towards him. “Daehyun, where have you been? Have you found someone yet? Where are the others? Why haven’t you contacted me?” I felt so glad that I found him. After a year, I finally found him. I can’t describe how happy I felt.

What really crushed me though, was his response. My heart dropped like a giant rock. “I don’t know how you know my name, and I have no idea what you’re talking about. I think you should get your head checked. You probably hit your head from the fall.” Without waiting for an answer, he turned around and left.

That night, I told Jiho about what happened. "What?!" Jiho chocked on his food.

"Calm down oppa!" I gave him a glass of water and rubbed his back.

“You saw Daehyun and he was the one that saved you from a motorcycle?" he asked after he swallowed his food.

I nodded, "Yeah, but he doesn't know who I am. It's that or he's still angry at me for kicking him out."

He shook his head, "I don't think it's either. I think he really lost his memories."

"If he did, then his personality would be gone too right? He's still that cold hearted Daehyun though."

"Remember he's not a robot anymore.” He reminded me. “He can’t be reset and given a new personality."

"Then he got into another accident? Didn't their protector do their job? How did he get into an accident? He promised he would've been more careful and-"

"Calm down." Jiho interrupted. "It could be from a simple bump in the head, you never know."

He was right, I was jumping to stupid conclusions. "So for sure he's not faking it right?"

"I might not be a detective, but I'm sure he's not faking it." He confirmed. "Now eat your food, it's getting cold."

The next day, I went to the same area where I met Daehyun to see if he passed by or not.

I arrived around the exact time I got saved yesterday. I waited and waited in the shade, away from the scorching sun. I waited for a long time, about 30 minutes. I was about to go home and come back another day. I scanned the area one last time before I would head home until I saw a dirty blonde head walk right past me.

He had a blue fitted hat on backwards, a blue and red plaid shirt over his white t-shirt, dark jeans and a pair of white high tops. He also had his black backpack on and earphones on his ears.

He looked like the same Daehyun a year ago. I got up from my spot under the shade and followed him at a safe distance.

I wanted to know whether he was going home to the others or somewhere else, since it seemed like a daily routine. I didn’t really pay attention to my surroundings, I just kept my eyes on him. I was afraid I was going to lose him again.

Not long after, Daehyun headed into a shop. I stopped at the doorway and looked up. I read the sign, “Seoul Books”.

I opened the door and stepped inside the store. I was immediately greeted by a cheery worker. “Welcome to Seoul Books!” It was a small bookstore, but in the front there was also a small café for people to read and have coffee. I haven’t been in a bookstore since the aliens left. It brought back memories that I didn’t want to remember.

I walked around a bit to see if Daehyun was around, but he completely vanished. I walked in and out of the rows of books and absentmindedly stopped at the non-fiction shelf. Curiously, I scanned the shelf for any books I found interesting. I grabbed a book that seemed interesting. It was called, “The Host”.

I was reading the couple first pages of the book until someone interrupted me. “You like these kinds of books? Try this one.”

I looked up and my eyes widened. I was going to say something but he beat me to it, “It’s you again?” He didn’t look angry or confused. He had a straight face on.

“Thanks for yesterday,” I said. “If it wasn’t for you, I would’ve been hurt pretty badly.”

“It’s nothing. Did you get your scratches treated?” he asked me.

"Yeah.” I smiled. *Even though you’re a cold person, you’ll always have a warm heart*

He nudged the book towards me, "So do you want to see this?"

I took it from him and read the title, "The Power of the Six. What is it about?"

"I'm actually reading right now.” He told me. “All I know is that six aliens come down to earth because they were escaping from something dangerous from their planet. They came down to earth and as the time goes by, they realize these powers they never knew they had."

I nodded, "Wow, that sounds really interesting." *It sounds just how you guys arrived on Earth.* "Thanks, I'll give it a try."

He bowed and left, probably to serve other customers but suddenly stopped and turned back. "How did you know my name yesterday? I don’t remember ever seeing you before…"

*So he doesn't really remember…* "Did you lose your memories any time before?" I asked.

I raised his eyebrow. "Are you joking with me or is that a serious question?" he crossed his arms.

"...I’m not joking with you. It's a serious question.” I said, giving him a straight face.

He looked at me for a couple seconds before saying, "Why would I lose my memories? I haven't bumped my head or woke up in a hospital. In fact, I've never been in a hospital. Have a good day." He walked away, not forgetting his manners.

I looked down at the books in my hands. *You’ve been in the hospital once and it was all my fault…*