You Haven't Changed

Protect Us

After running for more than five minutes, I could see the spaceship nearing. I tripped a couple robots here and there but what...or who stood in front of me, made my knees shake.

"Z-Zelo..." I stared at the face I haven't seen for more than three years. His hair was still as pink as ever. His facial features were still sharp and he still had that baby face, except his aura didn't feel like he was the Zelo I knew. Another thing that caught my attention were his blue eyes. It was the exact same eyes as the ones in my nightmare.

I didn't know what to feel at that moment. I didn't know how to feel. Should I feel happy? Should I feel angry? All these emotions were running through my head but I was so confused . All I knew was, it wasn’t going to end well.

Without warning, Zelo suddenly shot a laser at me. He missed on purpose, making it graze my arm. I screamed and grabbed it. It burned so much! It left like a cheese grater just flew by my arm and a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol was splashed onto it. That was how much it hurt. It was a small injury but if it hurt that much, I don’t want to know what would happen if he really didn't miss on purpose.

"Z-Zelo..." I called quietly. "Don't you remember me? It's me - Noona." I saw him stare at me with confusion evident on his face. I thought I hit a spot in his memories, but I knew it was too simple to be true.

He then smirked, "Noona, Noona, Noona. Do you know how much I hated that word? Why did you make me have to call you Noona?"

My eyes widened. "You remember?"

"Of course I remember! You're the one who made me a young kid. Do you know how unlucky it is to be the youngest? They all ordered me around. Even though being the youngest may have some good points, compared to the bad points, it's nothing. I was forced to do what the others told me, like mow the lawn, clean the room, and do the laundry... What have you done for us except buy us material goods? Don't you know items and money can't bring happiness? I wasn't happy there at all."

I took in every single word he said. I never knew he felt that way. He was such a nice boy that would always flash smiles but who knew he had those kinds of things that he hated.

"I'm sorry, but you never said anything about it. If you said something, I would've definitely done something."

He rolled his eyes. "Don't you get it, woman? I hate the fact that I was even living under the same roof as you. If I wasn't, I would have enjoyed my life even more. If we landed at the right place and time, we would've gotten a cooler protector that could understand me."

"I-" I started to say, but Zelo tapped his foot and played with the laser in his hand. "I'll give you a head start."

"What?"

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6-"

I got his drift and immediately turned around to run away. I thought I could lose him by weaving in and out of allies, and debris. I looked behind me and Zelo was nowhere to be seen.

I slowed down and panted. How am I going to stop him? He is special to me. Whether he's showing his true colors, or not. He always laughed and smiled, even though he was hurting on the inside especially the time when I gave them all the silent treatment. Yongguk told me he cried to sleep, but in front of me, he would always give me a cheery smile though I wouldn't respond back. It doesn't matter who he is right now, I couldn't dare hurt him.

"Is this a time to reminisce the good times we had?" I spun around and pointed a sharp piece of debris I found on the floor towards him. "Tsk tsk, you really want to hurt me? Your old friend? " Zelo mocked.

"Y-you're not the Zelo I know!" I nervously yelled.

"If I'm not the Zelo you know, then stab me!" he challenged. I stood still with my shaking arm, still pointed at him. He walked closer and closer. I stepped back but with each step I took, he followed. I suddenly banged into a wall. I cursed in my head. He walked right up to me. "Stab me." He said, lifting my hand and resting the weapon on his stomach.

I stayed still. I stared into his piercing eyes but there was nothing that reminded me of the old him. His smirk woke me up from my thoughts. "Can't do it, huh?" He let go and paced in front me, while I kept my eyes on him. My attention went towards the small and barely visible button on the back of his neck.

"I guess you really can't hurt me, can you? Since I represent that past me, you won't dare hurt a single hair on my body." He stopped in front of me. "Any last words or wishes before you die?"

"...yeah. I do." I bravely took a step forward and stood on my toes to wrap my arms around his neck. I felt him stiffen under my embrace. I closed my eyes and smiled. Even though it wasn't the real Zelo in my arms, I felt happy. "I've always wanted to give Zelo a hug. A hug for always being there for me, for taking care of me, for being the alien he is. I wanted to thank him, but I never had the chance. So...thank you, Zelo. For everything." I sincerely thanked him from the bottom of my heart. Even though he was the youngest, he took care of me like the others did, and maybe even more than he was supposed to.

"Noona..." I heard him whisper. My eyelids shot open. Did I hear wrong? "Noona," he said louder.

I pulled away from him, still keeping one hand around his neck. "Zelo? Is that really you?"

His eyes were no longer blue. I saw the real Zelo through his brown, pleading eyes. "Noona...don't die in front of me," he cried. "Please don't. Get away from me!"

"No... I won't leave you here by yourself! I'll bring you home."

"Please Noona, you don't know what he's doing! It's dangerous! Just-" He suddenly closed his eyes and groaned in pain.

"Zelo! What's wrong?!" I cried.

Zelo opened his blue eyes, with no sign of the old Zelo. "...Die." He pointed his laser at the side of my head but before he could do anything, I quickly pressed the button on the back of his neck, shutting him down.

He closed his eyes and went limp. I stepped away from him. The gentle Zelo came back before his other side took back over. Which meant, the aliens are still there. They're just brainwashed to think and do evil. That fact made me even more determined to save the world, while protecting the aliens I still love, no matter what.

I left Zelo there, knowing he would be safe from harm. I ran towards the spaceship once again. This time, I saw the military trying to help.

Bullets, missiles, and grenades did nothing to the spaceship. It seemed like it was impossible to destroy the aliens. Suddenly, a tank exploded. Pieces of the machinery flew everywhere. I ducked down, avoiding the flying pieces. After the debris was settled on the ground, I stood back up and felt really confused. Daehyun told me the robots were programmed to destroy whatever was programmed in their hard drive so who could've done this kind of damage?

Suddenly, soldiers began to shoot bullets at a certain object but I couldn't see what they were aiming at. The thing the army was shooting at, started to attack back. In a blur, the tanks were crushed, some exploded, soldiers flew in the air, and screams of pain were heard everywhere.

It was clear that whatever they were shooting at showed no mercy. I was scared to face my opponent, but whatever it was, I had to try my best and not let it kill me like what it just did. I took one step but suddenly, a blast of air went by me. I turned around and saw him. His hair had been died to black. "Youngjae..." I whispered.

He turned around and smirked. "Hye Mi, we meet again. What a nice surprise to see you here. I thought you'd be hiding somewhere, like the wimpy girl you are."

"I-" "I remember you programming me as the protective one," he interrupted.  “You know how troubled I was, from looking after you all the time? I admit, there were times I was freaking out for nothing, but it's mainly your fault for making me that way. Now look at me. Did you see those tanks I destroyed with my bare hands?” He looked down at his palms with an evil smile. “I'm no longer that old Youngjae, I have improved. I have no mercy - I show no mercy – so, I won't show you any either." He charged towards me and punched me in the stomach, sending me flying.

I landed on the cement floor on my arm, cutting my flesh. I screamed in pain from the landing and the punch. I held on to my stomach and coughed out something on the pavement. It was my own blood.

I heard feet crunching on the ground. I looked up. "Do you hate how that feels? If you do, why didn't you stay home?" He kicked my shin, right on the new bruise I got from trying to trip a robot. "AH!" I let out another painful scream held on to my possibly broken leg.

He bent down, grabbed my hair, and pulled me up so I was sitting. My painful tears were still flowing down my cheeks, making my face wet and hair stick to my face. "Tsk tsk. What a horrible sight." He slapped me hard in the face, causing me to let out a gasp. My cheek was probably going to swell too.

"Youngjae..." I whispered through my sobbing.

"What?" He said with annoyance.

"I'm sorry." I saw his eyes widening a bit. "I'm sorry for putting you through this. I'm sorry for making you the protective one I... I didn't know you hated it."

"I did hate it! I hated it more than anything!" he spat.

"You should've told me..."

"What good would that do? That trait is permanent!"

I shook my head. "That's not true."

He looked confused. "What do you mean? The trait is permanent. That was what Yongguk said."

"He said those traits are permanent but they're not. He said you can gain personalities, but the truth is, you can also lose them. Your best friend-"

"He's not my best friend." Youngjae scowled.

"...Daehyun. He lost his cold personality. He's not the alien he was before. That also may be because he turned human."

His face darkened. "I know. He told us. What does that have to do with anything? So what if he got a heart? He still treated you like trash."

I tried to calm down my crying to tell him the truth. "He acted that way because of me. He was admitted to the hospital because of a fever. He looked so fragile that I couldn't take it, so I told him to stop being so happy. I told him to go back to that old Daehyun."

"Why didn't you tell any of us that he was in the hospital?!" he yelled angrily, shocked at the new information.

"I didn't want to tell you the truth about him. I thought if you guys never turn human, you would never feel any kind of pain. I tried to turn you guys back to robots, but that didn't work. That's why I kicked you all out."

"We're not weaklings!" He argued. "We're strong - stronger than you! Look at you, you're bleeding inside and out. You're exhausted! If I turned human, I would've prevented these things from happening to you. To us! We aren't that vulnerable. Daehyun was just one alien. He couldn't have affected you that much, could he?" Without even knowing, the old Youngjae was coming back. I couldn't help but smile.

"Is something funny?" He sneered.

"I think your protective personality is something you can't get rid of."

He blinked. "You... You irritate me so much, go to hell!" Before he could do anything, he shut his eyes and fell on top of me. I fell back on the ground before he was suddenly lifted off me.

I squinted, trying to figure out who my saviour was. "Daehyun?"

He knelt down in front of me,with anger evident on his face, "I told you to stay home!" He scolded. "Look at you, you're...so broken."

I looked away. I was still angry for what he did. "Don't worry about me. I'm fine." I said sternly.

"Fine? You're bleeding, your cheek is swollen and you probably have broken bones in your body too!"

"Don't talk to me like you care! If you cared about me, you wouldn't have left me by myself!" I pushed him away from me and tried to stand up despite the injuries I had on my legs. It felt like my legs were going to rip off. I felt tears trying to escape my eyes. After those daring words I said to him, I bit my tongue, preventing myself from screaming in pain.

I limped towards the spaceship but I suddenly saw a pair of feet in front of me. "Where are you going, pretty lady?"