Aliens At School

Protect Us

The loud ringing of my alarm clock woke me up. I groaned and tried to lift myself up but I couldn't. Slowly, my eyes opened and I saw someone in front of me, instead of the usual white ceiling.

My eyes focused and I immediately let out a loud gasp. My eyes rounded in surprise as to how I was in this position. Daehyun was just centimeters away from my face. His arm was around my waist and my arm was around his neck. Carefully, I moved my hand off his neck and tried to pull myself out of his grasp, but he held on tight. I waved my hand over his face to see if he was awake or not. I even poked his cheek but he didn't move a wire.

I thought of a reason as to how he could have recharged himself. To figure that out, I had to place my arm back over his neck. It was quite a nerve wrecking thing to do. Right in the morning, my heart was already speeding up. I was crazy. My heart was speeding up because I was touching his neck. He wasn't even a real human!

As I placed my arm to where it was when I woke up, my fingers brushed against something so I grabbed it, realizing it was his fingers. I dug under his hair and felt around his neck for his recharge button and there it was, right at that location. I pulled my arm back and let out an amused scoff. Last night, he somehow lifted my hand onto his neck and forcefully pushed my finger on his button for him to recharge. What a smart alien.

I didn't know how I slept with a metal arm around my waist, but I did. I didn't even know why his arm was around my waist in the first place. He could've just allowed me to recharge him in the first place, instead of doing it the hard way.

Well, now that I solved that mysetery, I had to find a way to get out of his hold. The only way for me to get up and get ready was to wake him up. I reached over his neck and pressed his button.

His eyelids opened and he stared into my eyes for a couple of seconds before he sat up. "S-sorry. I didn't mean to do that." 

"It's okay, I guess..." It stayed awkwardly silent for a couple seconds before I told him I wanted to wake up the others.

"Yeah, you do that and…I'll make breakfast for you!" he stood up and ran downstairs.

I placed my hand over my beating heart. I don't think it was very healthy at all. My heart was beating loudly because of a robot and he wasn't even trying to kill me! After I woke up the aliens and said my good mornings, I got ready for school. When I walked into the kitchen, there was a bowl of soggy cereal on the counter. I chuckled and shook my head, "This is your breakfast, Daehyun? Soggy cereal?" I grabbed the spoon and ate all the cereal in the bowl. I would've felt bad if I threw all his 'effort' in making me breakfast. It was his first time after all.

"I'm gonna go now!" I announced.

The aliens all walked towards the front door. "Okay, Hye Mi. Have fun today," Youngjae waved. I waited for the usual hug from the 4 immature aliens, but no one came to hug me. Instead, they stood there and waved. "Okay...bye..." I grabbed the doorknob and paused for a couple seconds to see if anyone would hug me like they did everyday. No one did so I opened the door and walked out. Something was going on but I had to wait until I got home.

I arrived at school and sat down at my canvas. As usual, Jiho came in a second before class started. "I'm not late!" he burst through the door.

The teacher sighed, "Stop making a big entrance. Just come in and sit quietly."

"Okay," he bowed and ran down to his canvas.

"Morning, Mimi," he waved at me. "Good morning," I smiled back. He also gave me a nickname because he said saying Hye Mi was too ‘tiring' to say.

"So has the convenience store sorted everything out yet?" I shook my head. "Aw, that . They should, before Mimi starves to death." He lightly pinched my cheek.

"But you'll help me in the time of need, right Jiho?" I asked sweetly, batting my eyelashes.

He stomped his foot and said sternly, "What did I tell you, Lee Hye Mi?"

I sighed, "You'll help me in the time of need, right Jiho oppa?"

He laughed and squashed both my cheeks with his hands. "Yes. Oppa will feed you, and house you and maybe even bathe you."

"Oppa!" I tried to say with his hands still squishing my cheeks.

The door suddenly opened loudly. Everyone turned towards the door and started whispering loudly to each other. Jiho and I turned around and my eyes doubled in surprise. "Dae..." I breathed.

He scanned the classroom and saw me, with Jiho's hands on my face. He gave him a murderous look. I quickly pulled Jiho's hands off my face and turned back to face my canvas.

"Ah," the teacher said, "you’re here. Okay class, this student enrolled late but he managed to get into this class with his artistic skills. Sit down anywhere and we'll start the class," the teacher said to him.

I could hear Daehyun walk down towards a canvas on the other side of the room but then he took the empty canvas and dragged it next to me. I looked at him and mouthed, "What are you doing here?!"

He shrugged and whispered, "I'll tell you later." He turned around and focused in the teacher.

I couldn’t believe that he was here in my class, and actually paying attention to the lecture. He should've been at home, dying of boredom, instead he was in my class. I didn’t even know how he enrolled in the school, especially since this university doesn’t accept just anyone.

"Miss Hye Mi." the teacher called.

"Y-yes?" I looked towards the front.

"Are you here to learn or to stare at the new student's face?" Some students snickered.

"Yeah, Miss Hye Mi. Are you here to learn or stare at my work of art?" Daehyun smirked.

I glared at him and I wanted to wipe that smirk off his face. "Sorry. I was just observing how bad his work of art is. I've never seen anything so horrible in my life." Gosh, what kind of comeback was that? Even Jiho snickered beside me.

Even though that was a stupid comeback, his smirk was gone and was replaced with a scoff. "You want to play like that? Bring it," he whispered.

Once the teacher was done talking, we worked on our assignment.

"Mimi!" Jiho nudged. "That new kid keeps staring at you."

I turned around and he was right. Daehyun was staring straight at me and he didn't even blink an eye. I awkwardly coughed and I turned back to Jiho. "I guess he likes my work of art?" I shrugged.

He laughed and pinched my cheeks. "If your face is a work of art then what am I? A masterpiece?"

"Jiho!" I slapped his arm. He frowned, and started to tickle me.

"Ahem!" Daehyun coughed. His tickle fight broke and we looked at him. "Sorry, something's caught in my throat." He coughed several times and hit his metal chest.

"Mood ruiner." Jiho mumbled and turned back to his assignment.

Daehyun looked at me and mouthed, "I'm going to tell Himchan about this."

I quickly shook my head and mouthed, "Don't! He's not going to let me off the hook!"

"Then stop flirting with each other!"

"We’re not, we're just friends!"

"You don't even let Himchan to do that to you. He even lives with you!"

"That's different!"

Daehyun opened his mouth to say mouth something back, but the bell luckily rang just in time. The class packed up to go to their next class.

"Mimi, let's go eat!" Jiho cheered.

"Uh, I have to go to the washroom. Meet me at the usual place, okay?"

He nodded, "Okay, don't take too long though." He walked out of the class and it was just Daehyun and I.

"What's with him?" Daehyun nodded at the boy leaving the room.

"I said he's just a friend. There's nothing going on between us, I swear!"

"Right..."

I sighed of frustration. "Why am I telling you this?" I shook my head. "First off, why are you here? You're supposed to be at home!"

"This is the reaction I get for coming to school with you? I thought you wanted us to come."

"I didn't!" He raised his brow and I thought back to when I randomly blurted things to Himchan. Apply for my university then. I bit my lip. “I did...”

"You remember now, huh? Human brains are full of crap. It remembers nothing but names, dates and events. It can't even remember the slightest detail of what came out of their own mouth."

I glared at him. "Look, you didn't need to be so mean about that."

"What can I do? I didn't make myself this way," he smirked.

Suddenly the door opened. "Noona, there you are!" Zelo came running towards me. "Were you surprised?"

"Yeah, I was surprised alright." I looked at Daehyun in the corner of my eye.

"This is your class?" Yongguk asked. I nodded. "Where's all the chairs and tables?"

"We don't have tables and chairs. We sit on canvases instead." I explained. "But trust me, once you sit on these for a while, you'll want to sit at a table."

Himchan chuckled. "Let's go guys! You don't have class right?"

Everyone shook their heads but me. "Err...I actually have to meet someone." Daehyun scoffed.

"Who?" Youngjae asked.

"Her boyfriend, that's who." Daehyun answered for me.

Himchan gasped. "B-boyfriend?! Mimi, how could you?"

I waved my hands around, "No, no! He's not my boyfriend! He's just a friend. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late." I ran towards the door but then stopped. "I promise you guys, I'll eat with you one day okay?" I turned around and headed towards our normal area. Of course, Jiho was waiting there for me.

"Sorry for coming so late," I apologized and sat down on the bench.

He held his chin. "Makes me wonder if you have a really strong bladder that holds 10 minutes of liquid..."

"Jiho!" I smacked his arm. He raised his eyebrow, waiting for me to say something. "...oppa." I rolled my eyes. He's two years older than me and he expectes me to call him that.

He messed up my hair and took out his sandwich. "Here. I made this specially for you. Tuna sandwich!"

My eyes lit up. "Oppa, you're the best!" I grabbed it and instantly took a bite of the glorious sandwich. It tasted like heaven.

I took out my lunch container and gave it to him. "I brought kimbap."

"Mmmm, I love your kimbap!" he opened and hungrily popped one in his mouth. He gave me a thumb up.

I suddenly thought about the aliens. What are the aliens doing? Are they just walking around the campus? Did they go home? Ugh, Hye Mi, they can take care of themselves. Don't worry about it.

"Hye Mi!" Jiho waved his hand in front of my face.

I snapped out of my thoughts. "Huh?"

"I called you so many times. Why are you thinking about?"

"Sorry, I was just floating around in space." I took a bite of the sandwich. I asked him a question that I've been curious about. "Oppa, why are you not hanging out with your friends?"

"Didn't I tell you before? They won't miss me. I hang out with them after school anyways."

"If you hang out with them after school, why don't you hang out with them at lunch? I don't even see you talk to anyone else other than the usual hi."

"All I need is you Mimi. I don’t hang out with you after school, so the only time I do hang out with you is during school."

"But school goes for about 6 hours from Monday to Friday. You also have a part time job. That takes away maybe 5 hours away from your night. That leaves Saturday and Sunday. Do you hang out with them then? If you think about it, you spend less time with them and more time with me. I don't even know that well and plus-"

"Mimi you talk too much," he interrupted.

"I'm just saying..."

He sighed. "Fine, I trust you enough to not freak out."

I blinked. "What are you talking about?"

"I don't have any friends," he confessed.

I almost laughed but then I realized he was telling the truth. My eyes grew wide. "What do you mean, you don't have friends? Who are all those people then?"

"My friends," he put air quotes around the word 'friends', "all think they can benefit from being with me. They think they can be famous because they're friends with me. They're not true friends unlike you, who don’t care about my career.”

"Wait, so they are your friends because...they want to get free drinks?" I was so confused.

He stared at me like I was crazy and I stared back. "You mean you don't know about my career?"

"Don’t you work at a club?"

He face palmed. "You seriously don't know?"

I shook my head and he chuckled. "This is what I like about you, Mimi. The whole school knows but you. I'm a model."

"You're a model?!" I shouted.

He nodded. "Don’t you have magazines where you come from?"

I slowly shook my head. I can't believe he's a model! He must be a well-known model if the whole school knew about him. It's not my fault I don't invest my money into magazines! I just thought his face was an unsigned face of beauty! I realized that I said it aloud and covered my mouth.

"You think my face is beautiful?" he smirked.

"W-wipe that smirk off you face! You're a model after all."

"It means so much more if you say it~" he joked. He suddenly zoomed towards my face-inches away. "Which part do you think is beautiful? My nose, lips, cheeks-"

"Hye Mi?" someone called.

He pulled away and looked at the person coming towards us. I was so happy for the person who called out my name because I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest any second.

I looked up. "Y-Youngjae? W-what are you doing here?"

"What do you mean? You forgot our date didn't you? Hye Mi, how could you?" he asked angrily.

I stared at him like he was crazy. I don't remember saying anything like that. "I didn't-"

"Let's go," he interrupted me. He popped the last kimbap into his mouth from Jiho's hand and placed the container in my bag. He threw the bag over his shoulder and grabbed my wrist with the other.

"Bye, Hye Mi's friend," he saluted and dragged me away.

"Stop it, Youngjae!" I tried to pull away from his grasp but it was impossible. I turned around to Jiho who was just as surprised as I was. "I'll see you in class!" I yelled. "I'll explain everything later!"

He gave me a small 'okay' wave then Youngjae dragged me out of sight. Once we were far enough from him, he let go and spitted out the kimbap he took from Jiho into his hand. "Here." He showed me the kimbap.

"Ew, why are you giving it to me?"

"I can't eat remember?"

"Then why did you put it in your mouth the first place?!"

He shrugged. "It looked good enough to eat?" he walked over to the trash can to throw it out.

I sighed. “What were you doing back there? I was eating with Jiho!"

"He was too close to your face," he simply stated. "And plus Himchan wanted me to separate you two."

"Nice going Youngjae! Way to keep it a secret!" a voice came out of nowhere. Suddenly, 5 aliens jumped down from the sky.

I paniced and looked around to see if anyone saw them jump down out of nowhere. The coast was clear and I yelled, “Yah! You can’t just jump down from the sky, people will see!”

“Sorry Noona," Zelo pouted. I shook my head. “You guys are ridiculous.”

“Us? Ridiculous? Wait 'till you find out what we have after school for you.” Yongguk scoffed. I ignored him and looked at my watch. It was time to go back to class.

“It's class time now, I gotta go.” I began to walk away but then stopped. I looked at Daehyun. “Don’t tell me you have the same class as me.”

He shrugged and smirked, “I can't lie.”