Himchan's Plan

Protect Us

It was the weekend and snow has already begun to fall. The aliens were pretty excited since it was their first dnow and to celebrate, I decided to bring the aliens to Namsan Tower. It was the place we didn't get to visit when we were by Han River.

We got off the subway walked up to the streets. I was really surprised at how many people were walking around heading towards the tower.

"Stay close." Yongguk reminded. "Especially you, Eun Mi." I glared at him. We arrived slowly but safely to Namsan tower. The whole place was swarming with couples for some reason. It wasn’t a special day or anything.

Himchan came up with the idea, that if anyone is lost or separated, we'd meet up at the base of the tower unless told otherwise. We all agreed. We walked towards the tower first but I got so distracted by the yummy treats around me and the many couples.

They looked so gushy with hearts spewing out their eyes which made me want to throw up, but I also envied them a bit. I looked away from the distractions and I found out that I was separated from the group. Yongguk is going to kill me!

Like Himchan told us, I hurriedly walked towards the tower but someone grabbed me by the wrist. I turned around and saw a smiling Himchan. "There you are." He sounded glad but then he made a playful frown. "Why are you so distracted? You're supposed to stay close to us. Yongguk is going to blow when we get home."

"Sorry..." I apologized.

His frown was turned upside down and said, "How can I get mad at you? But when Yongguk asks what happened, tell him you got scolded by me, alright?" he put a finger to his lips and winked. "Now where..." he mumbled. "Oh, there!" he pointed to an empty bench.

"Where are we going? We're supposed to meet at the tower."

He stood up on the bench and cleared his throat. He cupped his mouth with two hands. "YONGGUK, I FOUND MIMI! I'M GOING TO STEAL HER FOR TODAY SO YOU GUYS GO ON AHEAD!"

"Hey! What are you doing?" I look around and see everyone looking weirdly at Himchan and I.

"FINE! BUT MAKE SURE YOU BRING HER BACK TO THE TOWER IN AN HOUR. IM GOING TO MAKE SURE SHE REMEMBERS THIS DAY!" I hear Yongguk shout back.

"'KAY BYE!" Himchan jumped down and held out his hand. "Let's go Mimi." he said, like this while scene never happened. I shook my head in disbelief but grabbed his hand anyways. We walked around, not even knowing where we would end up. I looked down at our hands which were intertwined with each other. There was an ugly faded scar from when he burned himself from the hot coffee. "Did it hurt a lot?" I asked.

He turned his head to me. "What hurt?"

"That accident from the coffee."

"Ahh, that? No it didn't hurt one bit."

I raised my eyebrow. "Really? You yelled in pain and when we called Doctor, you complained at how painful it felt."

He blushed and cleared his throat. "If you knew the answer, why did you ask?"

"I wanted to know if it hurt...a lot."

He laughed. "That doesn't make sense Mimi. You're just repeating yourself."

"Uhh... What I meant to say was... Were you scared? Your first time feeling pain?"

He hesitated. "...yeah. I was. But that pain slowly went away, because you were there with me." He playfully smiled.

I smacked his arm. "Stop being so corny!"

"That hurt!" he rubbed his arm.

"Well it's your fault for letting your metal be replaced." I stuck my tongue at him.

"Yah, I did it all for you!"

"I didn't ask for it."

"Well... Never mind!" he turned away.

I laughed at his loss of words. I pointed to a food stand and grabbed Himchan towards it. We ate and ate until we got full, even if it was just a snack bar. We walked around again, talking about random things. How the sky was dark, how my shoes were red and pretty the lights are.

"Hey, let's put locks on this thing." Himchan pointed to the fence of locks.

"We don't have locks. The shops are already closed." I reminded him.

He shook his head and dug into his jacket pocket. He pulled out a red and blue lock and two markers. "I asked someone about Namsan tower and they told me the locks were the most popular attraction here. So I got a pair of locks just in case whenever we planned to go. I heard the messages we put on these are symbols of looove~" He wiggled his eyebrows.

I finally figured out what he was trying to do. "You knew I would get lost so you kept an eye on me while the others just concentrated on getting to the tower. Isn't that right?"

He rubbed the back of his neck. "You caught me."

I shook my head in amusement. "Next time, just tell me, okay? You don't have to be so sneaky." I took the red lock and marker from his hands and started to write my message. I took a peak at him and he was already happily writing down his message, like he already knew what he was going to write. I smiled and continued with mines.

"Done!" he announced. "Let me see yours."

"No! You're not allowed to let the other person see your message, it might not come true."

He pressed the lock close to his chest. "I'm never going to let you see this Mimi!" he ran over to the other side of the fence to lock his lock while I just locked it in the fence close to me. I smiled at my message and waited until Himchan came back.

Not soon after, he ran back to me. "Done!" he announced again. "We should go back, it's past our meeting time."

I nodded and grabbed the hand that was advancing towards mines.

"Hey Mimi?" he softly called.

I looked up. "Yeah?"

"Were you really worried that I got hurt?"

"What kind of question was that? Of course I did!"

He shrugged. "Just wondering." After a minute of silence, he spoke again. "What would you do if any one of us was hurt again?"

"Then I'd also be hurt." I said without thinking.

"Why's that?" he asked.

I paused to think. "If you guys were hurt, then it would be my fault for not taking care of you guys. I don't think of myself as your protector...but more of a parent that needs to teach their own child everything about life. A parent is always pained to see their child hurt and they think it's their fault, you know? I got a sense of that feeling when my parents found out I was bullied by everyone at school."

He opened his mouth to say something but I interrupted. "You guys are all babies."

He choked on his saliva. "What?"

I laughed, "You guys just started to eat, drink, use the washroom. I'm kind of surprised you know how to write. There are so many firsts for you. So having your first physical pain...it's scary. It hurt me to see you hurt. You get what I'm saying?"

His eyes softened and the grip on his hand slightly tightened. "Yeah I do get it. There's something I want to promise you."

"What is it?"

"I promise you that you won't get hurt by us," he simply said.

"What do you mean?"

"I meant what I said. You'll never see us hurt you physically or emotionally, that I swear. It hurts us to see you hurt. It's like a never-ending circle. You’re hurt because we're hurt but we're hurt because you’re hurt. It never ever ends. It can only end...if it didn't start. So I promise you that we'll try not to get hurt...in front of you. So you won't get hurt either."

I smiled. "Thanks Himchan."

"No problem! Now this is the time where I let go of your hand." He let go. "Because I see Yongguk right there.

I looked straight ahead and saw the three aliens waving both their arms at me. Yongguk on the other hand, his arms were crossed and I could see his frown from where I was standing, which was pretty far.

"Sorry I made that whole speech before Yongguk scolds you, but I'm not backing you up here. He's too scary." He shuddered.

I glared at him. "Traitor." He shrugged. As I neared the group, his scary face got clearer and clearer. I wished I never got lost from the group, but it was too late now.

"LEE EUN MI!"