We Ran Out of Paint

Protect Us

It was lunchtime at school. Jiho and I were sitting in the cafeteria since it was too cold to be in our usual spot outside. The aliens were inside the cafeteria, t and more people were swarming over them than usual. The girls who hate being outside had the chance to crowd around them and if they're lucky, they get to hear their voice.

"It's getting really annoying," Jiho complained.

"What is?" I asked, chewing on the tuna sandwich he made me with the exchange of my kimbap.

"The flower boys. I don't get what's so cool about them. I'm famous! Yet no one even crowds around me," he pouted.

"It’s because you don't have that mysterious feel."

"What do you mean?" he asked, making a couple pieces of rice fly out.

"Yah!" He sheepishly laughed and took the rice off my face. "I mean, you're too nice. You say hi to people in the halls and you don't ignore them. They on the other hand, don't even say a word. Maybe Himchan and Youngjae, since they're nice."

"So...should I be like them? You know, I'm great at acting."

"Right...now can you help me with this? I don't understand our essay. I don't even know why we're doing an essay..." I flipped through the package, waiting for Jiho to say something.

"Yah." I look up and see Jiho trying look cool and look like he doesnt give a damn. "Yah!" I kicked his shin and he grabbed it in pain. "Why did you do that?!" he rubbed his hurt leg.

"You were trying to act like them, and trust me. You are better off staying with art."

"I thought I did a good job," he mumbled. "And how dare you say 'yah'? I'm your oppa, you know?"

A voice was cleared beside our table. We look up and see Daehyun standing there. "Don’t mean to interrupt your conversation here, but... We – I mean, you – I mean, I ran out of paint. Meet me at the – no, I’ll meet you at the front door so I can tell you what colour to buy...me. Bye." He quickly rushed out the cafeteria, with his fan girls following.

"...what was that?" Jiho asked. I stifled in my laugh. That was cute.

As he said, after school I saw him waiting at the front door. "I thought you were meeting me," I called out to him.

He looked my way and pushed himself off the wall. He shrugged. "Same thing. Anyways, as I was saying, we ran out of paint. Black, white and red paint. I think green, too."

"Okay. Let’s go, the store is near here. We can walk." I led him out the gate and on to the sidewalk. "So, that was cute what you did back there." I tried to make a conversation.

"What?" he asked.

"You kept stuttering to find the right words to say."

"Well...you didn't want to get caught by your friend did you?"

"You could've told me in class, you know."

He shrugged again and pulled out a lollipop. He opened the wrapper, popped the candy in his mouth and threw it in the garbage can.

"Where'd you get that?" I asked.

"Fan girls," he replied.

"I thought you don't talk to them," I frowned.

"I don't. That doesn't mean I can't take their gifts. Why? You jealous?" he smirked.

"Why would I be jealous?" I said too quickly. The reaction was just what he wanted, giving me a wider smirk. I wanted to slap it off his face, but instead, I stormed off towards the store.

Suddenly, a bike came out of nowhere. "Watch out!" I was about to turn towards the sound of the biker but I was pulled back and landed in someone's arms.

"Watch where you're going, dammit!" the biker yelled.

I couldn't move. My heart was beating rapidly. Not only because I almost got run over by a bike, but because I was in someone's arms. It felt safe and comforting. Something I haven't felt in a while. I looked up to see who my saviour was. Daehyun.

His expression was something I couldn't make out. Of course there was plenty of anger on it, but something more. Was he worried? Scared? "Watch where you're going," he growled. I was still in his arms, he hasn't let go yet. "If you storm off like that and get hit, what do you think will happen? There will be chaos. The others would be devastated. Yongguk will set you under surveillance cameras. So don't go running off on your own."

I slowly nodded. "S-sorry." There was still fear evident in my voice.

He sighed and said softly, "If you were jealous of my lollipop, you could've asked for it. Here."

Not letting go of me, he used one hand to take out another lollipop and unwrapped it behind my back. He showed it to me and I grabbed it with shaking hands.

He sighed. "This isn't going to work..." He mumbled. "Can you still walk to the store?"

I nodded. "Yeah...it's near."

He slowly released me and I felt the safety and comfort disappear but it came back when he held my hand for the first time. I looked down at our hands. Our fingers weren’t laced togehter, but it still gave me some comfort.

"I can't have you fall down in the middle of the streets." He explained himself.

I nodded. "Thanks." I looked down at the green apple lollipop in my hand. My favourite. I popped it in my mouth while I savoured its sourness and sweetness.

"Hey," Daehyun spoke up. "...I want you to know that I'll protect you." My eyes widened. What was he trying to say? "We’ll all protect you." Somehow at those words, my heart dropped. "But even if we aren't around, you still need to take care of yourself. Okay?"

"...what do you mean?"

"I mean, once the Warriors give up on their search, we'll have to go back to our planet."

"But that time hasn't come yet. Doctor said maybe several years! So don't talk that way...it's like you're going to leave me forever."

"...you're right. Sorry, I won't mention it again. Just...be careful okay?" he squeezed my hand.

"Yeah...I will."

"Now let's get those colors. Maybe I'll tell Yongguk about the accident..."

"No! Don't you dare!" I glared at him.

He laughed loudly. I never heard his laugh in such a long time that my heart reacted. It was beating fast. It was probably because it was surprised…right?