It's Over

Protect Us

We walked outside to see UFO's up the debris with their transporting light. I looked around and set my eyes on a Warrior, who was carrying the aliens back to their UFO.

"Wait!" I cried, running up to them before they took them away. I grabbed the Warrior’s sleeve. "Where are you taking Zelo and the others?" 

Yongguk grabbed my shoulder and pulled me away from him. Once I let go, the Warrior left without a word.

"Where are you going?!"

"Hye Mi!" Yongguk scolded. "Let them do their thing."

"But they're taking them away from me...again."

He leaned down placed a hand on my head. "I won't let them hurt our friends okay? I promise." I nodded and he ruffled my hair but straightened it out afterwards.

"Are you Yongguk?" A raspy voice appeared behind us. We turned around to see a Warrior. "Yes, that's me."

"Are you the one who contacted us?"

He nodded. "That's right."

"I'm the leader of the Warriors." I looked around. They all looked the same, including the leader. How do they know who the leader is?

"I need you to come with us," the Warrior told him.

"What? No! You can't take him!" I protested and held on to Yongguk's arm tightly. They may take away the others but they are not taking Yongguk away. The Warrior turned his head towards me, which made me feel intimidated even though he had a mask on.

"Hello...Mimi." The Warrior took off his head gear. Both of our mouths opened. "Jiho?!" We both screamed.

He smiled gently, "That's me."

I shook my head, "W-wait. So you're an alien too?"

He pointed his thumb at himself and winked. "Yup, the good-looking leader of the Warriors."

I ignored his cocky comment. "Why didn't you tell me?"

He lifted his finger at me, signalling he was going to answer my questions in a moment. "Yongguk, can you fly your spaceship back to the planet? You can follow along behind mine."

He nodded and faced me. "I'm going to come back soon, okay?"

"When's soon?" I asked. I didn't know whether 'soon' in their planet meant 10 years on Earth or not.

"Whenever Jiho is done with us," he replied. "So don't cause too much trouble at home. Before all these buildings are fixed, don't eat your whole food supply, okay? There won't be any food around for a while."

I nodded glumly. "Come back safely, with the rest." He smiled and hugged me. "Don't worry, Daehyun will be with you." I tensed at the name. I forgot about our little problem back home. "Bye Hye Mi." Yongguk left to go to his spaceship. I turned to Jiho. "You'll bring them back to me, right?" He nodded. "Of course. Anything for you."

"Then can you answer my question?"

He sighed and placed his head piece underneath his arm. "I couldn't tell you because it is the rules. As leader of the Warriors I have to strictly follow them, no matter how much I want to break at least one."

"Rules are meant to be broken," I said. "I told you everything about me. I even told you about the boys and you couldn't tell me who you really are?"

"I'm sorry I lied but it is my job - it is my duty to follow orders."

I let out a big shaky breath, calming myself down. "What is going to happen here? Is everything going back to normal?"

"Don't worry. Everything will be rebuilt, like no one did a thing."

"What about the people who died? Are you going to bring them back?"

He shook his head. "I can't bring back the dead."

I closed my eyes and let out another big breath. He gently pushed my chin up, lifting up my head. "I know you're upset about all this but-"

My eyes shot open and said with a shaky voice,. "A lot of lives were taken, Jiho. When I stepped out the house, I could smell death. I even witnessed death. So many people died today. How can I not be upset about this whole situation? Do you know what really upsets me the most?"

"What?" he dared to ask.

I pushed his hand away from my face. "You knew about this whole invasion. You knew about the war that was about to happen. You are the leader of the Warriors yet you let the information I told you slide away. If you were doing your job properly, this would've been prevented before it even started."

"We are not allowed to do anything until it actually happens," he told me.

My eyebrows stitched together. "I gave you evidence!"

"I know, but the way we do things are different from Earth. We have groups and organizations in our planet that make yearly visits to other planets to make sure it is living peacefully. Believe me, there are hundreds of planets out there, just like Earth. Each planet has at least one organization patrolling the planet. For the Warriors, our planet is Earth along with many other organizations. Warriors patrol South Korea specifically," he informed.

"Leaders are expected to live on the planet for make sure everything goes smoothly. Doctor is one of those leader organizers. He was supposed to be living on a planet called Excelsis. One of the Warriors informed me that he overheard Doctor planning an evil scheme. We had to make sure so we tried to find him but failed to. We had no idea what he was going to do with them or where he was sending them to. We only knew he created something.  There were some who said he was trying to protect planet with the help of the robots, so he could cover more area, instead of asking for help from his organization. The evidence you gave me weren't enough to prove anything. They were just building robots, but we didn't have the proof that they were trying to destroy the planet. Also, since different organizations have different ways of patrolling their assigned planet, we are not allowed to meddle with other organizations until a crime has actually been done." He explained. "There have been a lot of cases where organizations have been accused of something when they were really just trying to improve the planet. So a new rule was made stating, 'Organizations are not allowed to get involved with organizations until an actual crime has been committed.'"

"So...if an organization was to destroy a planet and someone knew about it, they can't arrest them until they actually do the crime?" I summed his story up. He nodded. "If you wait for them to attack, there would be innocent lives taken away! It's all because they are not allowed to arrest until they actually destroy the planet?"

"The last time a situation like this happened was five thousand years ago. This organization was heard to destroy a planet called Exodus and it actually happened. Unfortunately, they didn't spare any one and destroyed the whole planet in one shot."

"Is this supposed to make me feel better?" I frowned.

"What I'm saying is, this is the last time it will happen. We'll investigate and do whatever the police on this planet do when someone is trying to harm someone. Something like this won't happen again. I'm sorry about all this. At least we stopped it before it got more chaotic, right?"

I wasn't convinced. I know he was trying to make me feel better about the whole situation but it just didn't work. I witnessed death and it wasn't something I was going to forget.

He nudged me, "If it wasn't for you and Yongguk, half of the country would've been destroyed. So thank you. You really saved the day."

"I don't feel like I did..." I mumbled. "What will happen to the people?" I asked. "Are you going to erase their memories?"

He sadly shook his head, "We can't. Too many lives were taken and too many people were involved in this. The dead aren't meant to be forgotten but remembered."

"Then what are you going to do about all this? If you don't erase their memories, everyone would panic. There will be a lot of news about this and the government will have to do something."

"We're going to send the government a letter, describing the situation. We'll send them the faces of the people who lost their lives and find their body so they can have a proper burial place."

"But isn't this going to create a hassle? I mean, aliens sending letters to the government?"

"Look around here, is anyone going to take a picture of us? It's only implanted in their memories. Even if there is proof, they'll never find us. You don't have the kind of technology." I nodded. "Hey, I need to go. I need to get this situation fixed as soon as possible."

"Wait, you’re coming back right?"

He looked at me with sad eyes. "I don't know yet. I need to get everything settled and I heard someone else was planning on an attack."

I looked down at the ground."The boys leave me and you're going, too..." I mumbled.

Jiho placed a hand on my shoulder, making me look up. He gave me a small smile. "Where are you hurt?"

My head and my heart. There's just too much that I can't handle. "My leg is broken, I think." He waved over a Warrior.

"Her leg and her left cheek." The Warrior took out one of those police metal detector things and placed it over my leg. It felt really tingly and as soon as he took away the contraption, I could stand properly on two legs without feeling pain. The Warrior also placed it over my red cheek.

"There, my goodbye present." He told me. "I promise I'll see you. I don't know when just yet, but one day. So don't forget about me okay?"

I nodded. He leaned down and kissed my forehead. "You've really grown Hye Mi. Keep growing and keep working hard. Don't forget your kimbap recipe either. It's the best." He turned around to go back to his ship but then turned back around. "Don't forget to make up with Daehyun!" I gave him a small smile and waved goodbye. With that, he climbed on the UFO and I saw it fly away.

I looked around at my surroundings. There were buildings that were collapsed and buildings that were barely standing. There was still a lot of debris on the floor. I turned around one last time, hoping to see Daehyun somewhere. I know he survived since I saw one of the Warriors drag Himchan away but I didn't know if he was healed or not.

I walked around, scanning the area. There were piles of debris everywhere but other than that, there was nothing much. I was the only person there. No aliens, no robots, not even a UFO in sight. "Daehyun? Daehyun, where are you?" I called. There was no response except for the response of my echo. I was worried. He didn't have a place to stay since most of the housing and buildings were broken down. The only place he could live and survive is either at my place, or he would have to travel further away to find a place to live or even survive.

Wherever he is, I know he would be able to take care of himself. All I have to do is start from the beginning and search.