He Wants to Know

Protect Us

Ever since I found out where Daehyun worked, I’ve been going there to drink coffee and read every week. I was even noticed by some of the employees as a regular and always got my drink ready without me having to order it since I order the same thing every time. Considering I only come by once a week, I’ve been reading and drinking coffee there for about 4 months. I wasn’t going to rush anything. I didn’t want to scare him off. I definitely didn’t want that.

It was a chilly autumn day that I decided to come to the coffee shop again. This time, Jiho was coming to meet me and get a glimpse of Daehyun. He has become even more popular after those false rumours about me and him so he didn't have the time to come before.

“Eun Mi!” A voice called out.

I looked up and it was Jiho who just came back from his shoot. He doesn’t call me Mimi anymore because he knew how Himchan used to call me that. He doesn’t want to make that wound any bigger.

“Hey, you’re done your photo shoot?” I asked placing my bookmark in between the pages and placed it on the table.

He nodded and started to rub his hand together. "It's so cold out there."

"Maybe it's because of your clothes. Where's your jacket?" I pointed out.

He sheepishly laughed, "I forgot it in the car. I just came back from a shoot and it was pretty hot in there. So I didn't wear it."

"Call your manager then." I suggested. 

He rubbed the back of his neck, "I forgot my phone in there too."

I rolled my eyes. "Unnie, an Americano please!" I called to the cashier.

"I guess you come here often to call her unnie." Jiho said. He didn't know I came every week.

"Anything for him..." I said, playing with my straw. Yes, I sound like I’m desperate but it’s because I am. I didn’t want to lose him. It wasn’t like I was going to tell him to live with me like before, so getting every chance to see him is something I must take advantage of.

Jiho cleared his throat, "So where is he? How is he?"

"He's fine." I nodded towards the bookshelves. "He's in the back somewhere, helping customers."

"Let me go find him." He stood up.

"Wait," I grabbed his arm. "He doesn't remember anything, so don't make him mad. He's short tempered."

He ruffled my hair. "Don't worry, I promise." I watched him walk to the back of the store where the books were, to find Daehyun. While he went to search for Daehyun, I called Jiho's manager for Jiho's jacket. Turns out, he went back to his family to celebrate his daughter's birthday. Jiho came back not long after he left. “Let’s go, it’s late." Jiho told me.

I nodded and packed up my things. I gave him the hot Americano to keep him warm for now. "Did you see him?"

He stuffed one hand in his pant pocket. "Yeah, you were right. He is short tempered." I gently slapped him on the arm and gave him a look saying, I told you not to make him mad. He just smirked and shrugged. "Coming over to my place? I still have your jacket you lent me." 

He laughed, "You took the words right out of my mouth." I shook my head with a smile and wrapped my scarf around his neck to keep him warm. He would definitely have a cold after today. Jiho held my purse for me as we walked out the store. “What do you have for dinner?” Jiho nudged me.

I rolled my eyes, “I think it’s your turn to cook my dinner, pretty boy.” He laughed. “FIne, I’ll cook today.”

"Hey, excuse me! Girl who almost got run over by a motorcycle!" A voice called behind us. We turned around to see Daehyun running up towards us. He stopped in front of us and said, "I want to know more about myself. You two seem to know me yet I haven't met you two in my life. So, I want to find out what you guys know about me."

I looked at Jiho. What did he say to him? "Your personality never changes." Jiho sneered. "You’re always so straight forward." I don't know what happened between those two at the back, but I'm pretty sure they got off the wrong terms. I elbowed Jiho and smiled at Daehyun. "Of course. Let's go to my place, if you don't mind. Maybe that will make you remember."

We walked towards my place. I talked to Daehyun while Jiho followed silently, throwing in comments here and then. Not to mention, they weren’t really nice comments.

While I talked to Daehyun and asked him about his past, we found out he was living by himself in a small apartment. He lost both his parents when he was young and was sent to the orphanage and finally left when he turned 18. He’s been going around trying to find part-time jobs until he finally found a steady full time job at the bookstore for over a year.

Jiho and I were both surprised at his story. Those stories were all lies. “Has he…” Jiho whispered in my ear. “Has he gone crazy?” I elbowed him and he grunted, making Daehyun look at us. “Don’t jump to conclusions." I whispered back. "He lost his memories so his brain probably made up those stories to fill up his forgotten memories.”

“I don’t know…” Jiho whispered. “The fact that he lost his memories and is filled up with fake images isn’t a typical amnesia situation. I know this kind of method, I’ve heard about it before. The aliens, they-”

“Hey, what are you guys talking about? You’re going slower than a snail!” Daehyun complained, cutting off Jiho’s explanation. He was already in front of us and he didn’t even know where my house was. I looked at Jiho before I ran up to him. “Sorry.” I apologized.

After a couple minutes left of walking, we arrived at my place. I looked at Daehyun while I punched in the passcode to the door. It didn’t look like he remembered. He looked around the surroundings but it didn’t seem like anything clicked. I led Daehyun to the kitchen, telling him to sit down at the kitchen table. “It's your turn to tell me about myself.” Daehyun said after sitting down. “I don’t remember this place at all.”

I sighed and looked at Jiho, asking permission to start. He gave me a nod. I looked back at Daehyun. “In fact…the things you told me about your childhood are not true.” I told him everything from the beginning, from my point of view. I started from how I found the aliens in an empty field, to the time I sent them off. His face told me he thought I was crazy. I knew he wouldn’t understand. 

“I knew it, you're both crazy. I didn't lose my memories; you're the ones who are crazy. Aliens? Are you serious?" he scoffed.

"We’re telling you the truth!" I said.

He smirked mockingly. "If it is the truth, then where are the other five 'aliens'?" He made air quotes around the word aliens.

I looked down and played with my fingers. "I don’t know... You guys all left together."

"Sure we did. Did you know you were an alien in your past life too?" he mocked. I didn’t blame him for his behaviour. It’s a crazy concept to understand.

"Yah!" Jiho suddenly stood up. "Don’t you dare call this a joke, she suffered so much because of you! When you were in the hospital, she completely lost track of everything and when you all left, she fainted because of malnutrition!" I tried to pull Jiho down back to his seat, but he didn’t budge.

Daehyun raised an eyebrow. "Who cares about what she fainted of? I don't care, you're all just psychos who believe in aliens."

"You bastard!" Jiho spat.

"Stop Jiho!” I interrupted. “He lost his memories and we're just strangers to him. It'll take time for him to get them back." I reminded.

Daehyn scoffed, "Sure I will. Now, may I use your bathroom?"

Jiho made a face. "You call us crazy and now you want to use the bathroom? No, you can't! You can go do your business outside this house!"

"Be quiet oppa.” I shushed him and turned to Daehyun. “It's upstairs, first door to your left."

Daehyun got up from his seat and made his way upstairs. I turned my head towards Jiho and glared at him. “What?” he asked innocently. “You shouldn’t be so mean to him.” I frowned. “He didn’t do anything. He’s innocent.”

“Innocent?” he made a face. “Calling us psychos is something an innocent person would say from his own mouth?”

“He lost his memories! What else can we do?” No matter what, Daehyun is always innocent in my mind. I really want to believe he’ll remember what happened two years ago. I want to believe that he’ll remember everything that happened in this house, either bad or good. I didn’t want to give up on Daehyun because he is the only one that will make me believe that I’ll be able to find the others.

In the middle of my thoughts, we heard a loud thump upstairs. I looked at Jiho while he did the same. In a split second we got up from our chairs and darted up the stairs to see Daehyun on the floor, knocked out cold.