We Need An Answer

Protect Us

Yongguk pressed some buttons on the pad of white square buttons. It looked like a big keyboard, but without letters printed on them. Not long after, Doctor appeared on the screen. He looked exactly the same as last time. Except now that I wasn't scared out of my mind and my mind was calm, he looked a bit more crazy.

"What is it? Have they-" Doctor stopped mid-sentence when he noticed us in the back. "You guys are here, too?" He didn’t seem too pleased about it.

Himchan stepped up and bowed. "This is the first time we've met after Eun Mi personalized us."

"...Yes." Doctor replied.

"Yongguk already told you about our problems right? I'm afraid it's getting worse."

He raised his bushy brow. "How so?"

"Today, I spilt hot coffee on myself, and it was really painful. It's even red, look!" he showed him his burn. "Also, I think the metal is wearing off. My body isn't as hard as it was before. This isn't supposed to happen, is it?"

"You’re right, that's not supposed to happen..." he confirmed.

"That's what I'm saying!" he shouted and covered his mouth after he realized what he did. He apologized for the sudden volume of his voice. He was getting too excited. 

"This is a really bad sign. You're all gaining 'human' traits,” Doctor said.

"That's the thing," Youngjae spoke up. "We know what is happening to our bodies but we don't know why we're like this. Why are we suddenly becoming more human-like?"

"Doctor, we need to tell them." Yongguk frowned. I looked at him. Tell us what? They had something kept away from us. He nodded. “You're transforming into a human because of your affection towards Eun Mi.”

"That's not what I meant-"

"Yongguk, that's enough." He stopped him and continued. "It's because of your affection towards Eun Mi that is making you like this. As you get closer and closer to her, you'll be gaining more human traits. All the circuits and wires in your body will be replaced with nerves and body organs. The more you get closer, the more human-like you'll be. This can all be reversed except for the last stage. The last stage is blood. Even though human organs can’t operate without blood, you guys are exceptions. Your organs will still be working but weak enough to transform you back into robots. There is one important order I must tell you. Do not become human. Keep your affection to a minimum. If not, there will be bad things up ahead.”

I shuddered at his warning. "What bad things, exactly?" I asked.

He looked at me. "You don't need to know," he said in a cold voice. I suddenly felt embarrassed that he answered my question like it wasn't any of my business. It is my business. They are the ones I have to protect. I need to know what I'm protecting them from.

"Why not?" Daehyun dared to ask. "We should know what dangers lie ahead of us. We are the ones you have to hide, am I right? We must be something valuable if we're hiding in another planet. Tell us what will happen if we turn human." I nudged his arm, signalling him to stop but he continued. "We're already gaining human traits and it hasn't been that long since we landed on Earth. We can't promise that we won't become human."

"You won't become human because I am ordering you not to!" Doctor boomed. "Do not ask me to tell you what lies in your future. What happens when you become human? Isn't that a straightforward question? What are the Warriors looking for? You. The units I create. And what happens when you turn human? You become useless."

"Isn't it better that we become human then? They won't have any more use for us."

Doctor laughed. "Is it really better as a human? Do you want to have blood like me or her? If they find out that you aren't robots, do you think they'll let you off easily? Keep yourselves alive as robots. Let her do her job." He gave me another look before the screen flashed black.

We all stayed silent. We didn't know what to say. He just said they had the ability to turn human. But if they become human, they'll die. If they want to stay as a robot, I'll die protecting them. We all got off the UFO and Yongguk transformed it back into a cube, the same size as a Rubik's cube. "So... what do we do now?" Zelo asked.

"I guess we have to do what he told you guys to do. Stay the way you are," I said. Daehyun suddenly scoffed and stormed back into the house. "He shouldn't have said that to the person who created him. He was very rude."

"You have to understand him, Eun Mi," Youngjae said. "He had a reason to say what he said." I asked him about his reason but he changed his mind and said, "Never mind."

"We have to follow Doctor's orders," Yongguk said. "We can't risk it."

"We can't take the risk of becoming human because we'll die? Then, what about Mimi? What if the enemy finds us and hurts her?" Himchan asked. "Himchan..." He looked at me. "lf I slowly become a human, so be it. I refuse to let you become hurt. At first, you were just a protector to us. Now, you're a friend. l will not let a friend become hurt because of me. This is not my personality speaking. I am sure I am speaking for Daehyun and everyone here."

"Himchan!" Yongguk boomed. "You will follow Doctor's orders, and you will do it well! That is the same for all of you!"

I stared at him in disbelief. Himchan wanted to protect me from the warriors but Yonggwk didn't care. He didn't care about me. Before I knew it, my nose and eyes started to burn. I blinked a couple times for the burning sensation to go away and tears fell out of my eyes. It hurt. Hearing those harsh words from him really hurt. I ran back into the house, ignoring their calls. I ran up to my room and locked the door shut.

How could be say that? I thought we were close. I just couldn't understand it. Maybe I was being the sensitive one. Maybe Doctor and Yongguk was right. Maybe I should just accept the fact that they were sent to me because I needed to protect them from evil hands. There was nothing more than that.