Protective Youngjae

Protect Us

"I want to stay home with Mimi!" Himchan whined.

Yongguk smacked him on the head. "You need to go to work with the rest of us."

"But!"

"She has Youngjae with her."

"He can switch shifts with me!" he happily suggested.

"I don't trust her with you. You'll probably burn the house down," Yongguk exaggerated. I watched the two bicker with an amused face. Their fights are always so childish. Yongguk finally got Himchan and the rest out of the house, leaving Youngjae and I alone. Now that they were gone, I realized how quiet the house was. Some quiet time in the house was quite rare. 

I rubbed my temples. "Finally, some peace and quiet."

"Eun Mi, why are you rubbing your temples? Are you hurt?" Youngjae worriedly asked.

"Or not," I mumbled. "I'm fine. Let's go out to the park Youngjae. It's a nice day afterall."

He smiled. "Okay. Do you need to change? I'll wait for you."

After I changed, I walked downstairs with the nice clothes Jongup bought for me. Youngjae instantly smiled when he saw me. "Looking pretty for me, I see."

I blushed. "N-no, I just don't want to embarrass you." I scratched my head awkwardly. It was my first time wearing these clolthes publicly and it made me kind of shy. He turned off the TV, stood up and walked towards me. He laid a gentle hand on my hand to stop me from scratching my head. "You'll never embarrass me, even if you wear the most ridiculous outfit in the world."

I stared in awe at how sweet he was and I returned his smile. We walked hand in hand towards the park. I didn't really mind since they're all skinship monsters, except for Youngguk and Daehyun, of course. It was a chilly, yet beautiful day to be outside. The sky was clear, the sun was shining bright and there was a cool breeze flying through the city.

"Look at all the kiddies!" Youngjae cooed. Surprisingly, there were still kids playing at this time of year. Usually, their parents would lock them inside the house to prevent them from getting sick.

"Push me on the swings Eun Mi!" he let go of my hand and ran towards the vacant swing. "Hurry up!" I amusingly shook my head and took my time walking over to Youngjae. "Took you long enough," he pouted. "Push me towards planet Mato!"

With all my strength, I pushed the swing. "Here goes!" I pushed him as hard as I can, which wasn't really high but he enjoyed it anyways.

"Whoooo!" he screamed in joy. The kids and parents were staring at him like he was crazy. He finally got tired of the swings and got off. We both sat down on the bench. He was exhausted from swinging and shouting too much and I was exhausted just by watching at him, even though I just pushed him to start once.

"Wait here, I'm going to buy a water bottle." He told me. I sat there obediently, waiting for him to come back. A couple of college boys and girls sat down on the same bench as me. They started talking and I decided to ignore them, not interested in what they were saying.

"Excuse me," the boy tapped on my shoulder. "Are you waiting for someone?" I opened my mouth to say yes but he interrupted me before I could say anything. "My friends and I are going to a norebang later and we thought you would like to join us."

I was going to decline his offer but I was interrupted again. This time, by Youngjae. "For your information, she was waiting for me." He glared the group of friends down. "Don't you dare think she's that gullible to accept your 'friendly' offer. You guys aren’t even going to the norebang. You want to gang up and humiliate her on the streets because you think it’s ‘fun’. I don’t even understand why that would be fun." He gave them a hateful glare. I was also intimidated by his look since I've never seen him like that before.

"H-how did you…" the boy stuttered.

"How did I know? It's not hard to hear you guys talking with your obnoxious loud voices. Only this cute, innocent girl would block out your conversation out of respect and privacy. You stupid kids make me sick. You’d do anything to make your life more interesting." He grabbed my hand and pulled me up to my feet. "Let’s go home." He led me away from the group.

“Hey! How dare you call us kids!” the person stood up, turned Youngjae around and was about to give him a punch in the face but Youngjae was quicker.

Pow!

He landed on the floor, holding his possibly broken jaw. His friends went crazy and surrounded him, not even bothering to talk to Youngjae, afraid they’ll end up like their friend. Without a word, Youngjae grabbed my hand again, and we made our way home. I was honestly afraid of what happened just then. I’ve never seen a fight in front of me, even if it was really fair to the other person.

I tried to keep the fear hidden. "H-How did you know what they were saying?” That didn’t work. I cursed myself for stammering, and tried again. “Even though I was ignoring them, I would've heard them if they were saying it that loud."

He held on to my hand tighter. "I still have my amazing hearing or did you forget? I'm not completely human yet.” He stopped and made me face him. He bent down to my height. “Don’t be afraid of me, alright? You probably have never seen us be violent. I promise you won’t ever see me or any of us be violent in front of you again, alright? This is the last time, I promise, so don’t be scared. We love you too much to ever do anything that will make you scared.” With that, I felt relaxed and happy. How could I not trust his words?

“Let's go home and make dinner for the others." He held my hand again as we walked home.

 

"What shall we cook today, Chef Youngjae?" I helped tie on his yellow apron.

"Today we're cooking Chinese. The special is...chicken stir fry!" Youngjae took out the vegetables, the skinless, boneless chicken and the spices. Of course, he didn't forget the noodles. "Alright, we need to clean these ingredients while the noodles are boiling. Let's get to it, assistant chef."

"Yes, sir!" I saluted playfully and he responded with a smile and patted me on the head.

We thoroughly washed the ingredients, to make sure we wouldn't poison ourselves with bacteria. I was in charge of cutting the vegetables while Youngjae was cutting the chicken . It was a nice and silent moment where the only sounds were us chopping food and the water boiling the noodles.

I looked over at Youngjae's cutting board. Since he was already done chopping the chicken , he was now onto making the sauce. My eyes trailed up his arms and to his face. He was full of concentration. He looked gorgeous, yet it’s funny at the same time. The only time he looks like this is when he's measuring ingredients for a sauce. It's sad, really.

I went back to my chopping but my eyes weren’t on the blade. My hand reacted before my eyes could and I cut myself. "Ah!" I dropped the knife and held onto my bleeding finger. Youngjae stopped what he was doing and looked to me. "What's wrong?"

That's when he noticed my bleeding finger. He dropped his spoon and it clattered on the ground. My attention turned to him, away from my finger. His eyes looked like they were going to pop out and his mouth was wide open. He stood there, frozen.

"Are you okay?" I waved the hand with my bleeding finger over his face. He instantly grabbed my wrist and I jumped in surprise.

His attention was attracted to my small cut. "Blood..."

"Yeah, I have to clean it up."

"Blood!" he shouted.

"Hey, what’s with you? It's like you've never seen blood before - HEY!" he suddenly threw me over his shoulders and ran upstairs to my room. "Let me down, Yoo Youngjae!" I thrashed.

He set me down gently on my bed but then went crazy. "Okay first, you need to change so we can go to the hospital. Oh my god, how do we get there? Isn't there a big white truck that comes wailing home when you're bleeding?" he paced around the room.

"Youngjae."

"But why isn't it coming?! Is there a number that I call or something? Oh yeah, there is." He grabbed the phone on my table.

"Youngjae!"

"What was the number?" he looked through my contacts. "I don't see anything in here! It's an easy number though... Think, think Youngjae! Ah, 119!"

"Yah Yoo Youngjae, get a hold of yourself!" I shook his shoulders, preventing him from dialling the police. He blinked in surprise. "I'm fine! There's no need to call the police, I'm not dying."

Youngjae came back to his senses. "Yes you are! Look, there's a lot of blood!" he showed me my finger. It truthfully did look like a lot of blood, but it’s because it hadn't been wiped or cleaned yet. I grabbed his wrist and pulled him to the bathroom. I rummaged through the drawer to find a first aid kit. Once I found it, I laid it down the counter.

"Since it is kind of your first time seeing an injury, I'll explain this to you." I told him about the first aid kit and pointed out all the necessities in the box. I cleaned up the blood, which wasn't even a big cut. I took out a bandage, took off the adhesives and wrapped it around my finger.

"There. That's how you take care of a small cut like this and not call the police." I put the kit back in the drawer.

"Sorry Eun Mi, I really thought you were going to die." He sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck.

I softened at his hospitality. "It's alright, you didn't mean to. Now you can use this when I have a small injury, unless it’s something big, don't call the police, okay?"

He gave me an okay sign. "Let's get back to the..." Our eyes widened. We ran downstairs to a burnt pot of noodles. I looked over to Youngjae, who looked horrified. "NO, OUR DINNER!"