D-Day

Protect Us

D-Day arrived. I was sleeping soundly when I suddenly woke up to a loud crash outside. I even felt the house shake. I immediately shot up and looked around. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. I took a deep breath, trying to calm down my fast heartbeat and nervousness. Today was the day. Today was the day that will determine the fate of humankind.

I quickly changed into loose and comfortable clothing. I tied my hair up in a messy bun and ran down to the basement to get a hammer in the toolbox. Since I didn't know if Daehyun took the lasers with him or not, I had to use an alternative weapon. I opened the toolbox and rummaged through it until I finally found my weapon. I ran back upstairs and grabbed my phone to check if Jiho called. I was convinced that Jiho forgot all about this day. He didn't call me at all and it has been more than three weeks since he left. I also checked for any unknown calls, hoping it was Daehyun, but there weren't any. I couldn't be wavered by that though, because the fate of Korea may be in my two hands.

I walked towards the door and wore my comfortable trainers. I looked back inside the house and took a big breath before I grabbed the doorknob and twisted it open. My jaw immediately dropped. 

It was a complete mess out there. The sirens were wailing, cars' alarm systems were beeping, people were screaming, houses were destroyed and debris was everywhere. It only had been 10 minutes since I heard that loud crash, and now everything is destroyed.

It was a replica of a destroyed city in a movie, but this was real. The invasion planned out by the aliens I once loved has started.

I stepped outside and scrunched my nose, smelling the polluted air. I walked out the gate and saw every house on my street, demolished. "Oh my god..." I continued to walk down the street, looking around the unrecognizable area. While I was walking, I heard a faint knocking sound. I turned around, but I didn't see anything but the continuous knocking sound was still there. 

It seemed like it was coming from the car I just passed. The hood of the car was dented from a piece of flying debris and the back window was broken. I slowly advanced towards it, afraid something would suddenly pop out from the car.

I was wrong. So wrong. There was a man in the driver's seat covered in blood. I immediately tried to open the door but it was locked. "Hey, can you hear me? Are you okay in there?" I hit on the window to get his attention. I saw him nod. "Unlock the door so I can help you!"

"It's unlocked." He weakly rasped, but I could still hear him.

Panicking, I pulled in the handle harder but, it wouldn't budge. I remembered I had a hammer with me. I held the hammer up high, ready to smash the window. "Watch out," I warned. "Don't worry, I'll get you out!"

He looked at the hammer and slowly shook his head, making me lower my hand down. "My kid," he croaked, "is in the back. Is she... is she still alive?"

I stepped towards the passenger side, at the back. I looked through the cracked window and saw a little girl, maybe just 5 years old in her baby seat. Luckily, the door wasn't stuck and I opened it easily. 

My heart broke at the sight. Her head was bleeding and it was leaning to the side of her baby seat. I leaned inside, careful not to touch the broken glass from the back window. Hesitating, I grabbed her small fragile wrist and read her pulse. There was none. I slowly staggered out the car.

"Is she still alive?" he asked, with hope in his dying eyes.

I slowly shook my head and said apologetically, "I'm sorry... She...doesn't have a pulse."

The man closed his eyes and a quiet sigh escaped his lips. "I really thought she would at least live. My precious daughter..." Tears flowed down his bloodily cheek. "I was driving her to school...when..." He had a hard time speaking. "The house suddenly exploded. My wife...she was in there. The house exploded, and debris landed on us." He coughed.

I hit the door, "Are you okay?" I cried. "I'll get you out of here!"

He shook his head. "I'm joining my family."

"No!" I screamed, "Don't go, I can still get you help! I'll call the ambulance right now!" I pleaded, taking out my phone with shaky hands.

He shook his head again. "Young lady. Promise me something. Promise me that you'll be safe. I...don't want to see you in heaven." With that, he went limp.

My eyes widened. "Ahjusshi?" I called. He didn't answer. "Ahjusshi?" I slapped the car window. "Ahjusshi! Ahjusshi, don't die!" I hopped into the back seat and shook him. He wasn't replying. I pressed my index finger and my middle finger on his neck to check his pulse. He was gone, just like his family.

"No!" I sobbed, slamming the driver’s seat. "You can't die yet! Wake up! WAKE UP!" No matter loud I screamed and cried it was no use. His spirit had already left his body. 

I wiped my tears, using my sleeve and stepped out of the car. I ran and ran and ran, not knowing where I was headed to. All I thought about was destroying those alien robots, no matter what the cost. I heard a big explosion up ahead so I ran quicker, despite my legs wanting to give up. Then, I slowed down when I finally encountered the robot.

It was taller than me. It was white and made out of metal. Its body wasn't a cube, like the typical robot everyone imagines. It was shaped like a human being, without the physical traits of hair, skin, and so on. It also had green, glowing eyes. There was nothing special about but of course, it can destroy.

Just like Daehyun said, the robot didn't even notice me. The only thing it was to do is destroy whatever it's programmed to destroy. 

I got my hammer readily gripped in my hand and aimed for its head. I gave a loud yell and swung the hammer on his head. My weapon suddenly bounced off the robot. The speed and strength of the the hammer was so strong, it flew right out of my hand. My head shot towards the direction of the hammer but lost sight of it when it went flying. I cursed in my head. What the heck am I supposed to do now?

I turned back to the robot and let out a small, quick scream when I noticed that robot fell down in front of me. Its legs and arms were moving like it was walking but it couldn't go anywhere. It was faced down on the pavement and made no effort in trying to get up. It probably didn't know how to. 

I sighed in relief, knowing that robot wouldn't go anywhere. I looked up ahead and saw the houses in perfect condition. I know I should warn the people about the aliens, but I had no time. They should've been already aware of what was happening outside anyway.

I looked around to make sure there weren't any more robots around the area. After the coast was clear, I ran down a different street. I saw another robot and tried to hit their heads with a piece of debris lying around, but that didn't work as well as the first time. I also tried to push it back, but it was me that was being pushed. It was getting closer to the next house, and I was panicking. Without thinking, I kicked my leg out in front of it and it actually tripped! But with the cost of my leg throbbing in pain.

"AH!" I crouched down and held onto it. It hurt so much that tears were coming out. I lifted up my pant leg and there was already a big purple-black bruise forming. It was my first injury but I wasn't complaining. There will be lots to come if I encounter someone stronger. I stood back up and ran to another street, leaving the fallen robot behind. 

I encountered many robots, and tripped each and every one of them. Of course, I would use a price of debris on the ground to do that. My legs were getting tired and I was already sweating buckets under the hot sun. I wondered how Daehyun was doing on his own. Probably better than me. 

As I kept running from street to street, I somehow ended up in the city. Everything was torn down, making the sky look a bigger, except for the huge spaceship in the sky, not far from where I was. It was the size of three football fields together. It was all black and it had some white and blue lights emitting from it. That was when I planned to start my attack and revenge. I'm going to end this disaster once and for all.