Fourth Sign

Protect Us

This was a day, like any other day, I was working with Himchan at Dominique that evening. I was at the front, escorting customers to their seats while Himchan was catering for the night. The revolving door turned and revealed a male customer. "Hello, welcome to Dominque. How many people are there?"

"Just two," the man said. I showed him to his table and he sat down to wait for the other person. I bowed and walked back to the front of the restaurant. Not long after another customer came in. I put on a big smile and greeted him. "Hello, welcome to Dominque, how - Jiho?"

The man just took off his sunglasses when I recognized him. With the call of his name, his face brightened. "Mimi, you work here? I thought you worked on the other side of town!"

I shook my head. "I told you it was here. You really have a bad sense of directions."

He chuckled and rubbed his neck. "I guess I do. Have you seen my manager?" I led him to his seat. "Here you go." I pushed out a chair for him.

"Aigoo, Mimi is pushing out a chair for me? I think I'm going to this restaurant more often, what do you think?" he sat down on the chair while I pushed it in for him. I leaned towards his ear and whispered through my clenched teeth, "Just try." He laughed while I walked back to the front. Suddenly, a hand grabbed my arm. "Who was that?" Himchan whispered. "He even called you Mimi!"

"Don't you notice him always with me during lunch?" I asked.

"That's the same guy?! He looks messier than this..."

"It's a restaurant, what do you expect? Plus, he's a model so of course he knows how to dress. Get back to work, you'll get in trouble." I lightly slapped his arm before I went back to my post. Mumbling to himself, he went back to serve the customers. The couple times he passed by Jiho, he gave him dirty looks, and Jiho seemed to notice it. A co-worker exchanged stations with me, so I had to cater for the rest of the night. The first person for me to serve was of course, Jiho.

Jiho waved me over. "How may I help you?" I asked him.

"Yes, that pretty boy waiter over there is giving me dirty looks," he said. His manager already left to the washroom to wash his hands. "Wait, isn't he the guy from our campus?" he squinted at Himchan.

"Maybe because he's never seen a model in full action?" I shrugged, knowing full well why Himchan was acting that way.

"What do you mean?" he laughed.

"He knows that you're an art major, but he never knew you could dress like this."

"So the pretty boy thinks I'm prettier than him? If I could attract boys looking like this, then..." he wagged his finger at me. I leaned in closer to his face. "...shouldn't you be more attracted to me?" The plates and cups suddenly crashed and a low yelp was heard. We looked towards the direction of the scream. Himchan on the floor with cups of coffee spilt on him. I immediately ran towards him and knelt beside him. "Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah…" he nodded. I noticed that he was holding his hand with the other, with a pained expression.

"Let's go." I tried pulling him up.

"Where? I need to clean-"

"We need to take care of your hand!" I harshly whispered. I bowed 90 degrees to everyone in apology for the disruption. I picked up the bigger pieces of the broken coffee glass onto the tray and allowed the other waiters to take care of the rest while I headed to the back with Himchan. I walked into the locker room to find the first aid kit, then I led Himchan towards an empty break room in the back.

I took him hand and placed a bag of ice on it. "Cold, cold, cold!" he yelled.

"You should've been more careful!" I scolded. "What were you thinking about?"

"That art kid. He pisses me off. He calls you Mimi, assumes that I'm attracted to him and he even flirted with you!"

I chuckled, "He's usually like that, it's no big deal."

"No big deal? It's a huge deal!" he blew. "He called you Mimi when I'm the only one who can call you that. He calls me gay, and he tried to win your heart. There are already four who are competing with each other, who needs another?"

I smiled and shook my head, "Does it still hurt?"

He pouted, "Yeah but if you kiss it, I'll be fine."

I shoved him, “In your dreams."

"Actually I do dream of that," he slyly smirked. I blushed and applied pressure on his burn. "Owow!"

"That's what you get- wait.” My eyes grew wider. I just noticed something. Himchan is made of metal. Himchan who always hurt me when I try to inflict pain on him, is in pain? “It hurts?"

"That's what I said." He pulled away from my ice pack and inspected his burn. I grabbed his hand and poked his wound. "Hey! What was that for! It hurts, you know!" Ignoring him, I poked his stomach. It was still hard as before. That's weird. I poked his arm and it had a little bounce to it. I hit his arm to make sure. He yelled in pain but he didn't hurt me like he always did. But why was his stomach...? Oh, wait. Nevermind. I'm so silly. He has abs.

He noticed what I was doing. He pinched and poked himself. "There's something wrong with me" he whimpered. "I'm supposed to be made out of the strongest metal in the universe! What's happening to me?!"

“It's like what Youngjae said. You guys are slowly gaining human traits. Zelo cried, Youngjae blushed, Jongup could taste food, and you have a sense of touch. This is really weird. We need to go home right away.”

We told our manager that we had to go back home. We lied, saying Himchan had to go to the hospital for his burn; that it was a severe one. He bought our lie and dismissed us. We changed out of our uniform and headed out the front door. I waved goodbye to Jiho while Himchan sneered at him. We flew back and called Yongguk right after we opened the door. “YONGGUK, YONGGUK, YONGGUK!” we screamed.

"I'm right here, you guys don't need to shout." he walked out of the kitchen.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey!" Himchan called. "Look at this!" he showed him his burn but Yongguk didn't know what it was at first. "Why are you showing me this? Wash off the paint.”

"That’s the thing, it's not paint!" he yelled. "It's my skin. Feel me!" he grabbed Yongguk's hand and slapped it onto his own arm. Yonggul frowned. He squeezed and hit his arm, ignoring Himchan's yell of protest and said, "Why is your arm so soft? You're supposed to be made out of the strongest metal in the universe."

"That's exactly my point! Why am I not hard like metal? Why do i have this...this...human arm?!" Yongguk didn't seem to know either because he shook his head and said, "I don't know what is exactly happening."

"We need to call Doctor right away," Himchan suggested. Yongguk nodded, "I'll talk to him." He took a step but Himchan stopped him. "I think we should all see him. It includes us, too."

"No, you can't," Yongguk said a bit to quickly. "Why not?" "Because you guys all need to take care of yourselves and figure out what's wrong while I talk to Doctor." My brows furrowed together. I swear I heard a small stutter in his deep voice but that was probably my imagination.

"I think seeing Doctor would be best though. I mean, how can we figure it out ourselves when he is the one who created them?" I mumbled to myself.

"What?" Yongguk asked and I jumped in surprise. I was just talking to myself but now that he asked, "I think it'd be best if all of us see Doctor."

"She's right," Zelo said, popping from the living room. Youngjae and Jongup also appeared behind him. "We can't figure out what's happening to us," Youngjae said. "We're really scared," Jongup added. "We're supposed to be robots, not normal aliens from Mato."

Yongguk sighed and gave in. "Fine, we're all see Doctor and see what he has to say."

We walked into the backyard and Yongguk took out that cube again; the cube where I first met Doctor that turned into an UFO. He activated the cube and it suddenly opened up, transforming into that circular UFO they all landed in. The door of the spaceship opened up with a hissing sound. Like the first time I saw it, smoke came seeping out as the door opened. Now that I saw it in bright daylight, it didn't look as scary as it seemed at first. Yongguk stepped into the spaceship first and was followed by the others. I took a deep breathe before going in. It was going to be my second time meeting Doctor.